Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Washer Fluid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Manual:
CAUTION
Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.
Exactly why I posted my question to start. Tesla says a lot of things but this post alone contradicts Tesla‘s cautions.
My post was not meant to be contradictory to Tesla. Quite the opposite. I would not use any of the products stated, including the the Prestone stuff you asked about. Get plain blue washer fluid or plain extreme temp fluid. That said, it's not the end of the world if you do. The most it will cause is noisy wipers, not harm to the system.

Rain-X fluid does cause minor streaking on roof. Was parking it outside, but I now added a Mr Cool to garage (set to 82F) so I’ve moved it to garage.
Gave car good washing, needed to use vinigar and water solution to remove hard water marks from over spray of sprinklers.
Noticed streaking on roof. Just need to treat roof with rain-X to remove streaking.

Thanks for the recommendation on this. I've been using the RainX stuff for a long time, and it always left streaks. I added this fluid (4oz to a Gallon), and I no longer have the streaks, in fact, it cleaned the streaks that were left from my last use.

Reactions: Dennisis
"CAUTION
Use only windshield washer fluid meant for automotive vehicles. Using other substances, such as untreated water, can result in bacterial growth within the climate control system resulting in odor or potential damage that is not covered by warranty."

From the owner's manual. Nothing special about Tesla windshield washer fluid, except many have complained the OEM factory fill isn't great.

I like this:

that blue nonsense is annoying and gross. doesn't do any better job than what I threw in my old car with the exception that it leaves a really nice dark blue trail of whatever it is.