Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Washer Fluid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Prestone AS658 Deluxe 2-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid safe to use with the with the Model Y? If not, is there a recommended washer fluid to use?

Thanks
The cheap blue stuff that you can buy for $2/gal. The reservoir holds nearly a full gallon so fill it up and forgot about it until a message pops up telling you to refill.

"CAUTION
Use only windshield washer fluid meant for automotive vehicles. Using other substances, such as untreated water, can result in bacterial growth within the climate control system resulting in odor or potential damage that is not covered by warranty."

From the owner's manual. Nothing special about Tesla windshield washer fluid, except many have complained the OEM factory fill isn't great.

I like this:

I second the BMW/Mini fluid.

Cheap, easy to mix to the strength and/or antifreeze level you need and, most importantly, it works amazingly well.

If you have a BMW/Mini dealer near you, it’s about $3.00 for a bottle of concentrate.

Is Prestone AS658 Deluxe 2-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid safe to use with the with the Model Y? If not, is there a recommended washer fluid to use?

Thanks

Summer - Rain-X 128 fl. oz. -25°F 2-in-1 with Bug Remover Windshield Washer Fluid 113645 - The Home Depot

Winter - Rain-X 128 fl. oz. -25°F Degree Universal De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid 113655 - The Home Depot

The fluid that came with the Tesla new is horrific lol emptied it before my first wash to get it all out!

Reactions: FireFighterHil
What am I not getting here regarding the BMW stuff. I read up on it and one needs to mix 1 to 1 for northern climates so assuming it costs 3$, a pint that would make 2 pints. The stuff available up here in Canada sold everywhere under different brand names usually goes for about $4 CAD but this gives you 4L (8 pints) and is good for -40. I guess if you live in California/Florida and do not need freeze protection the bottle may go a long way, no bargain for cold weather use though.

Reactions: TypeX
What am I not getting here regarding the BMW stuff. I read up on it and one needs to mix 1 to 1 for northern climates so assuming it costs 3$, a pint that would make 2 pints. The stuff available up here in Canada sold everywhere under different brand names usually goes for about $4 CAD but this gives you 4L (8 pints) and is good for -40. I guess if you live in California/Florida and do not need freeze protection the bottle may go a long way, no bargain for cold weather use though.
I was wondering about the cold weather cost too. It does seem pretty expensive for the amount needed. On the other hand, my previously owned vehicle was a BMW and I did notice how well the washer fluid cleaned the windshield.

I use whatever they sell at Walmart or the grocery store for a couple bucks, however, I don't have to contend with very cold temps. Lower temp formulations are always much more expensive.

If you're the DIY-type, the price performer is to buy these from Amazon and buy 1 gallon jugs of distilled water from the store (but you'll still have to add some form of deicer in colder climates).

(The Tesla owner's manual say to not treat the windshield with any kind of hydrophobic treatments because this could cause wiper chatter or affect the visibility of the autopilot cameras.)

(The Tesla owner's manual say to not treat the windshield with any kind of hydrophobic treatments because this could cause wiper chatter or affect the visibility of the autopilot cameras.)

(I've been using hydrophobic Aquapel on all my cars for many years. ZERO issues with "wiper chater" or autopilot cameras,)

Reactions: jerome8283

(I've been using hydrophobic Aquapel on all my cars for many years. ZERO issues with "wiper chater" or autopilot cameras,)
Same here, been using it for 3 years on the Y, wipers are smooth and no chatter. Been using Aquapel for around 20 years, never an issue on any car.

Tesla Manual:
CAUTION
Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.

Thanks
Did my first maintenance and filled the reservoir with rain-x fluid, 9 months in.
1691420288578.png

jerome8283: Having lived through VAG windshield washer fluid tank issues with certain washer brands, I appreciate your question about washer fluid.

You can see from the various posts that there don't seem to be any specific restrictions for washer fluids.

Reactions: jerome8283