Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper fluid smell with windows closed

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Does the washer fluid appears to be spraying normally? If so then the washer fluid hose is probably not disconnected. If you apply washer fluid while parked the fluid will drain beneath the Tesla vehicle. You might be able to detect the smell of the methanol in the washer fluid from inside the cabin.

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
I've only noticed this with some brands of fluid, as I think some are more aromatic that others. I've used a generic one that smelled similar to mint. I noticed the smell inside my car even in my non-teslas. I switched to rainx fluid, and never smelled anything again.

I've only noticed this with some brands of fluid, as I think some are more aromatic that others. I've used a generic one that smelled similar to mint. I noticed the smell inside my car even in my non-teslas. I switched to rainx fluid, and never smelled anything again.
I originally read this as "...even in my non-testes" and just about spit my bourbon and coke all over the keyboard.

Agree with other posters, have yet to own a vehicle where fragrant wiper fluid (even the rain-x orange stuff) doesn't waft into the vehicle occasionally.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
I originally read this as "...even in my non-testes" and just about spit my bourbon and coke all over the keyboard.

Agree with other posters, have yet to own a vehicle where fragrant wiper fluid (even the rain-x orange stuff) doesn't waft into the vehicle occasionally.

Hmmm... I've also found that bourbon affects cognition. Even with coke.

RyMY

Apr 26, 2021
NY
Used to love that new BMW windshield washer fluid smell the first time you spray it after taking delivery. Especially the models built in Germany. The free refills at the dealer was just never the same. The refills you buy from the parts department was also never the same.

I noticed the windshield washer fluid that came with my MY from the factory is very blue.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC