Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers are horrible, and arguably dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you could somehow bias the sensitivity in Auto, I'd be happy.

The wiper algorithm is terrible as is... it's either too fast or too slow, and the manual modes don't seem like they're speed sensitive (e.g. they appear to just wipe every X secs). It is completely incapable of handling spray from the car ahead, so instead of driving, I'm driving and periodically pushing the left wiper button.

That’s the problem. Both cars I have with Rain Sense have a sensitivity adjustment. Both are also not perfect but light years ahead of the Model 3.

Same goes for the difference in Auto Highbeam performance.

The Problem is, Tesla tried to use the Neural net Process it uses for AutoPilot for Auto Wipers and Auto HighBeam.

Guess it will take the 100x faster CPU in HW3 to fix it. Instead of using the dedicated sensors other cars use.

It’s great to think outside of the box. But so many issues we think are New to Model 3 are the same issues on Model S (frozen door handles, rain sense wipers etc. ).

Only thing annoying is the auto wiper doesn’t use enough speed so it skips across the windshield making chatter noises. I kept having to go back to manual and adjust speed from low to high and back to low. Rain in LA is here and there at different intensities. Wish Auto works so I can just leave and forget.

Reactions: C141medic
The auto wipers have continued to improve with each update. I think the latest update have the wipers operating fairly well now. I rarely have to use the manual wiper any more.
I thought things were getting better until the .50 updates which made mine worse. They just aren't aggressive enough for me. One item that would help is when you press the left stalk leave the manual card open much longer so the manual controls don't disappear so quickly.

Mine work fine in the daytime and under street lights. On dark roads, I have to use manual settings. Manual settings aren't too difficult to access; as mentioned above, pressing the mist button on the end of the stalk brings up the wiper controls.

Indeed,

The wipers are camera controlled.

If its light outside then the camera can see that it's vision is blocked by the rain and they come on. Same holds true for street lights.

Now....in the dark it's hard to see if rain is on the window - just like our eyeballs have the same struggle. Thank God for our ears that can attribute to helping us also hear the rain.

few things:

Auto wiping is horrible across S/X/3. No model is spared. S/X have a more familiar interval control on the stalk; Model 3 just has the button for single manual wipe (2 detents is wiper fluid and wipe). I've always been in the habit of using the manual button, and either 1 or 3 interval setting on the screen.

Tesla stock Bosch wipers are garbage, regardless of model. I recently replaced the stock wipers on my S with Bosch Icon wipers. They look identical but work so much better.

My research so far with replacing the Model 3 wipers with Bosch Icons require breaking one side off the mounting clips on the wiper piece. This is due to the integrated wiper mechanism getting in the way. At some point, I'm going to give this replacement a shot.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
I want to be able to safely adjust the wiper speed and sensitivity. I end up just manually pushing the wiper button all the time, which is just ridiculous. I liked someone’s idea to briefly allow a steering wheel button to make fine adjustments after you press the stalk button. Or voice controls. Just about anything would be safer than what we have now.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I guess I'm the only one who feels like his auto wipers work 95% of the time. I rarely need to engage manual control.

To be fair I live in San Diego, so only have had to use wipers 10x or so. But two of those were multi hour road trips during storms where auto worked the entire time through varying rain intensities

Reactions: T34ME
I’m in SoCal and the auto wipers have been terrible the past two weeks. They either don’t turn on when it rains or they are very slow to turn on. The speed doesn’t match the amount of rain either. On some cold mornings, the wipers turn on even though the windshield is clear.

Reactions: MJGolf