Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers running on high when engaging auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of MY LR on Friday. It’s the new no radar vision only model. The windshield wipers running on high when engaging autopilot. You cannot disengage wipers with auto pilot engaged. I have 2021.4.18.2 software update as well. Anyone else have these issues or no of any fixes?

Have you tried soft rebooting the Tesla Model Y?

Model 3/Y Soft Reboot Steps​

1. Press and hold the scroll wheels until the screens turn off
  2. The touchscreen and instrument cluster should restart after 10-30 seconds
  3. As with the Model X and Model S, the touchscreen reset can be done while driving, but parking the vehicle first is highly recommended.
Model 3/Y Full Vehicle Soft Reboot (Reset)

Method 1:

1. Place vehicle in park, with all doors shut
  2. Go to Controls > Safety and Security > Power Off
  3. Don’t touch anything (brake, doors, steering wheel, touchscreen, etc) for at least two minutes (though it may be best to wait at least five).
  4. After two (or five) minutes has passed, press the brake or open the door to start the Model 3/Y

Method 2:

1. Place vehicle in Park, with all doors shut
  2. Press and hold the brake pedal
  3. Press and hold both scroll wheels
  4. Keep the brake and buttons pressed until the screen comes back on

Just used autopilot and there was a warning that said something like:

you cannot disable wipers when using autopilot.

I will also try reboot but seems to me this is a feature added to vision. It was night 9:30pm) and 0 rain, 88 degreesish. Makes no sense why the wipers would be on with autopilot.

I don't think it is a bug, with Vision only Autopilot, I guess "Wiper's ON" when "Autopilot ON" is by design. They changed the design of the wipers as well, they now put more water and supposedly clean the windshield better since crystal clear windshield is very important for the camera's to see and function properly.

watching YouTube reviews of vision only autopilot might help clarify this a bit more.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
Post a pic of this happening.

I have a 2020 LR (w/radar) running 4.18.2 and here's a pic of AP/FSD engaged. The wipers aren't running.

AP_Foothills_Arastradero_Jun17.jpg

I just took delivery of MY LR on Friday. It’s the new no radar vision only model. The windshield wipers running on high when engaging autopilot. You cannot disengage wipers with auto pilot engaged. I have 2021.4.18.2 software update as well. Anyone else have these issues or no of any fixes?

Been fighting this same problem all weekend. Day, night, rain, shine, divided highway, 2 lane road or city street it didn't matter. Did the soft screen reboot, did the shut down and wait didn't help. Finally thought to look at the windshield where the camera is and there was a bug right there that didn't come off in a wash or rainstorm. Cleaned in front of the camera and no problem since.

I don't have this issue with my vision only Y. But I think the previous poster may have hit the nail on the head... Your window is probably dirty. Even my non-tesla does that if I get dirt on the windows just right. The auto-sense goes haywire, and the wipers go on super speed until I wash/clean the windows.

Do you have a haze on your window? I don't have these issues on my vision only Y, but I do know that on my other car, with auto sensing wipers... Sometimes if there is a light haze on the window (due to dirt) when it wipes, causes the wipers to go to superspeed until I turn on the washers to clear the haze/streaks from the dirt.

I use RainX and I hope that reduces wiper use. I hate the distraction of wipers working in a light rain shower. At speeds over 45 mph I don't need wipers even in heavy rain.
That's why I like PIAA Super Silicone wipers. It makes the rain-x last waaay longer. The blade itself coats the windows. So even if you don't use any, it still causes the windows to repel water. It costs more than other blades, but in my experience it is worth the cost... I've tried just about every other brand, and nothing compares. I'd had a pair of PIAA wipers last almost 5 years on my other car. Whereas I've had Bosch Icons start to streak and chatter after only a few months.

I took delivery today, and on the drive home from Mt. Kisco the wipers would activate every time I engaged AP. My windshield is clean and pristine. I rented a 2021 MY last month from Turo (don’t know what software version) and I used AP extensively without the wipers ever going on. Has anyone found a way to use AP without the wipers?

I took delivery today, and on the drive home from Mt. Kisco the wipers would activate every time I engaged AP. My windshield is clean and pristine. I rented a 2021 MY last month from Turo (don’t know what software version) and I used AP extensively without the wipers ever going on. Has anyone found a way to use AP without the wipers?
That should not happen. Check that there is no dust, debris on the lenses of the forward cameras. Try a soft reboot (Start in Park; Press and Hold both steering wheel scroll wheels for 5 seconds.) The Tesla will initiate a soft reboot, then start up.

Exact same issue, happens every time I drive at night and relatively constantly basically turning it on low. During the day i have only had it happen once or twice. Took delivery in early August on my Y.

I keep my car extremely clean so there is no way there is something over the sensor.

It's a defect with the no radar vehicle.