Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am encouraged by your post, I don't think your test is completely valid. The conditions appear much better during your second run. I can't account for temperature while looking at this, but there clearly is less snow and slush on your second run. (I realize you state there is less snow, but there is a LOT less snow. Makes me wonder if the Pirelli would have performed the same during this second run.)

I agree - the tests are not of equal conditions - this is the best I could do!. However, test #2 (no video) is at the school and they still haven't plowed the snow and the car performed 3 times better and climbed without issues.

I'm back from running some errands for about an hour and the car was great. I also removed all sand bags to make sure I'm "stock". I also went to some backroads with hills and car was ok. Difficult to describe, but driving seems totally different now. It seems the Pirelli's were behaving like all-seasons tires.

I'm waiting for the next snowstorm but I have to say I'm confident the car is now decent in heavy snow.

PatP, thanks for all the info. If the door handles stick/don't respond, they sometimes work if you cycle them with the remote. Lock then unlock the car.
I bought the Hakka Rs due to the reviews on TireRack about the Pirellis. These reviews agree with what you said: performance tires that can be used in winter. IE all season tires that tend towards winter. The Nokians are the king of winter tires according to the Norwegians. My concern was the RWD aspect and snow. Never a good combination. I believe that Tesla can improve the Model S with a firmware snow setting which would allow a slight slippage and less response to the accelerator pedal allowing an easier slow start.
I agree that no RWD will accelerate as well as a good AWD, but steering and stopping are top notch. I feel safe. I will always try to avoid stopping on an incline in snow. Luckily I live in a relatively flat area.

To answer someone else's question about 120 volt heating. I have tested this but only at 0 C. It heats and still charges albeit slowly. One or two miles per hour. I installed a 120 volt plug at my office to heat the pack on extremely cold days. I won't bother until it is -20 or -25*C. Tesla says we are safe until -20* F for 24 hours.

PatP, thanks for all the info. If the door handles stick/don't respond, they sometimes work if you cycle them with the remote. Lock then unlock the car.
I bought the Hakka Rs due to the reviews on TireRack about the Pirellis. These reviews agree with what you said: performance tires that can be used in winter. IE all season tires that tend towards winter. The Nokians are the king of winter tires according to the Norwegians. My concern was the RWD aspect and snow. Never a good combination. I believe that Tesla can improve the Model S with a firmware snow setting which would allow a slight slippage and less response to the accelerator pedal allowing an easier slow start.
I agree that no RWD will accelerate as well as a good AWD, but steering and stopping are top notch. I feel safe. I will always try to avoid stopping on an incline in snow. Luckily I live in a relatively flat area.

Thanks so much for your feedback. This confirm I'm not crazy. Kind of frustrated Tesla Canada sold me these "false" winter tires... Thank God I tested them outside of real traffic hours. Also, I made the same suggestion to Tesla regarding a "snow mode". Hope they will implement. Another idea I have is that we should be able to drive the car in the "high mode" suspension setting at much higher speed.

- - - Updated - - -

What happened ? They froze ?

No, don't think so. The driver's one just did not came out. Next time I will try locking/unlocking as suggested.

To answer someone else's question about 120 volt heating. I have tested this but only at 0 C. It heats and still charges albeit slowly. One or two miles per hour. I installed a 120 volt plug at my office to heat the pack on extremely cold days. I won't bother until it is -20 or -25*C. Tesla says we are safe until -20* F for 24 hours.

I wonder why you need to charge to heat the pack. Shouldn't it be like plugging an ICE to heat the block.

I might be wrong but from what I read here, plugging the car with 120V without charging doesn't draw any current from the grid and would heat from the battery if too cold. Could you confirm

There is no current setting to heat the battery. A short drive in the cold will quickly drop the charge and plugging it into a 120 volt outlet to "charge" will heat the battery for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

The car's suspension is very stiff in high mode. I agree that while in a hypothetical "snow" mode that the car should be higher to greater speed and revert back to higher elevation automatically when slowing, though I don't think the highest mode is appropriate. Too stiff and allows too much buildup of snow in the wheel wells.

I wonder why you need to charge to heat the pack. Shouldn't it be like plugging an ICE to heat the block.

I might be wrong but from what I read here, plugging the car with 120V without charging doesn't draw any current from the grid and would heat from the battery if too cold. Could you confirm

It the battery warning pop-up, they mention the mobile app will be able to pre-heat the battery. I think that's how they want to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

The car's suspension is very stiff in high mode. I agree that while in a hypothetical "snow" mode that the car should be higher to greater speed and revert back to higher elevation automatically when slowing, though I don't think the highest mode is appropriate. Too stiff and allows too much buildup of snow in the wheel wells.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not the "highest" mode, but at least not going back to normal. Also, we need to be able to adjust suspension according to location (like they do for Homelink). High want my car in high mode when arriving in my driveway (that would be so cool).

It the battery warning pop-up, they mention the mobile app will be able to pre-heat the battery. I think that's how they want to do it.
Until we have the mobile app for battery pre-heating, I've figured out a workaround:

About 30 min before I intend to leave, I start a Range charge at low amperage (10A, 240V). There's not enough energy flowing to add much charge to the battery, but more than enough to power the battery's heating system. Instead of starting out with little or no regen, I start at nearly full regen (temps in the high 20s F).

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. You only get the message when you park the car. It drove completely normally for 300 km and gave me the message when I parked it. I guess the pack temperature was a little lower than the control system liked, but it was 100% working normally.

FYI, I received the Battery Pack Cold warning as I was driving, not when I parked. I have software rev. 4.1.

I don't expect my car until early February, but having spent some time reading this thread and others related to winter driving, I have some thoughts. I live in Vermont where driving in snow is a fact of life.

First, many owners appear to have inflated expectations of the Model S as a winter car. Let's be realistic. It's a relatively heavy RWD car, not an SUV. I would expect its winter driving capability to be in line with a BMW 7 series or a Mercedes 2WD E class car -- perhaps slightly better given the Tesla's superior weight distribution. The value of a good set of snow tires is not to be underestimated. (I plan to go with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.) But even then, the Model S may not be able to handle every icy hill you throw at it. I plan to keep my Audi around for those particularly challenging winter days. But for 90% of the winter, I expect the Model S will do just fine.

Secondly, it has become clear that there are a few issues the factory needs to address ASAP: the window fogging problem on the driver's side of the car, the Traction Control issue, and the side window icing:

The fogging problem sounds as if it can be fixed with a minor re-design of the duct work behind the dashboard. (Hopefully, that's something the service centers will be able to handle as an upgrade.) It is surprising that Tesla's winter testing did not expose the fogging problem. I think Tesla would benefit by building an environmental test chamber at the factory to test their cars in all sorts of temperature and humidity conditions, not just those found in Minnesota during one short period. Here in the Northeast it is more humid in the wintertime. That's why the fogging problem is more noticeable in this part of the country. (Apparently, a good temporary fix is to simply clean the inside window surfaces with Windex and then treat them with Rain-X.)

As for the traction control issue, I imagine that there's a software fix in the works. Rather than stopping the wheels altogether on ice, the TC ought to allow the wheels to turn slowly until traction is regained. Some sort of audio feedback for the driver (based on the RPM of the rear wheels) would be helpful when TC is active.

The side window freezing to the lower rubber seal is surprising. There are other cars, such as the Mini Cooper, which use the same system for lowering the window slightly when a door is opened. I've driven a Mini through a Vermont winter, always parked it outside, and never had this problem with the windows getting frozen to the rubber seal at the bottom of the glass. This likely has something to do with the type of rubber used for the seal. Again, this sounds like a problem that could fairly easily be upgraded by the service centers.

In the big picture, these are all relatively minor issues, and I expect that Tesla will address them on new as well as existing vehicles. None of these issues would have scared me away from this otherwise extraordinary car.

Last edited:
I think some of the expectations of RWD performance were based on the Roadster, which is surprisingly good in snow.

As for fogging, etc., Tesla needs to test their new vehicles somewhere with ridiculously variable and extremely humid weather. Ottawa or Montreal would be perfect candidates... if they work here, they'll work anywhere. (I'm not worried about hot/dry - they've got lots of that available.)

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, I received the Battery Pack Cold warning as I was driving, not when I parked. I have software rev. 4.1.

I've not had that happen myself. What were the conditions - for example, did you start driving with an extremely cold pack (almost no regen)?

Maybe not the "highest" mode, but at least not going back to normal. Also, we need to be able to adjust suspension according to location (like they do for Homelink). High want my car in high mode when arriving in my driveway (that would be so cool).

+1! It's not just cool, it's incredibly useful. We have to elevate the car to avoid bottoming out at the top of our driveway. Doing so manually is going to get old.

I've not had that happen myself. What were the conditions - for example, did you start driving with an extremely cold pack (almost no regen)?

Doug, I started from a warm indoor garage in downtown Toronto, full regen, +1 C outside temp. Drove about 50 km, mostly highway, in range mode, speed ramping down from 100 km/hr to 80 km/hr and energy consumption trending down from 250 W/hr per km to 200 W/hr per km with outside temp trending down from +1 to -1 C as I went north. The Cold Battery Pack warning came on when driving through a 60 km/hr area. I hope that provides some clues.