Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok guys....here is the picture. There were 2 stickers on the door. If you notice...mine says 38 front and 40 psi rear. So, what should I do - pump it to 45, or just leave it as 40?

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

> but on the door frame it says 38 psi. [e4chan]

Photo or it didn't happen. If that is correct it would be a collector's item.
--

Ok guys....here is the picture. There were 2 stickers on the door. If you notice...mine says 38 front and 40 psi rear. So, what should I do - pump it to 45, or just leave it as 40?

38/40 is the vehicle placard pressure set by Tesla. Like all vehicle placard pressures, it's based on a set of assumptions:

1. Ambient temperature is 65F (18C). If the highs of the day are more than that, then you need to adjust the pressure upwards (4 psi at ~100F). If it's very cold where you are and you inflate indoors (which always is the case), then you also need to adjust upwards to compensate for the warmer indoor air.

2. Speed. Tesla most likely takes speed into consideration so you don't need to adjust unless you are going at over 100 mph (163 km/h) speeds.

3. Load. The load is based on what the engineers think the car will most likely be driven with. When you go on vacation with family and luggage, add some pressure to compensate.

4. A pressure check before every driving day. If you don't check your pressures every day, add a bit so that you never go below the vehicle placard pressure. Don't rely on the TPMS, by the time it alerts the tires are already seriously underinflated. Heat, not pressure, is what kills tires. If Tesla ever gets the TPMS to show actual pressures, then you can just watch the pressures before you drive and adjust as necessary, but right now you have to do this manually.

Keep the pressure balance between the front and rear at 2 psi to maintain the handling characteristics.

Because Tesla hasn't published what the actual assumptions used are, this is based on normal industry practices. It's unlikely that Tesla would vary from normal industry practices.

> but on the door frame it says 38 psi. [e4chan]

Photo or it didn't happen. If that is correct it would be a collector's item.
--

e4chan, he was just responding to the quoted post above since you posted pictures.

Those of us without P85+'s have 42psi or 45psi on the door, so when they heard that yours says 38/40 they thought there was some sort of mistake and therefore the sticker was a "collectors item".