Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an interesting but minor firmware quirk. When the really bad weather hit, I put the car in storage mode, figuring I wouldn't be driving it for a while (summer tires). But we had a really nice day and the roads were dry, and the car still had plenty of charge, so I decided to take it out for a spin. While driving it, the touch screen battery gauge display showed "Storage" mode. Curious. But when I parked and plugged it back in it reverted to Standard charge.

I suppose it is consistent for it to default back to Standard; after all it does that in Performance mode. But showing Storage mode while you're driving doesn't make any sense, and is misleading because you think it'll stay that way when you plug it in. So be sure to remember to manually set it back to Storage mode.

Oh and the weather went to pot again the next day. Freezing rain complete with power outages.

Quick cold temp observations:
With below 0C temps, my range (and obviously whpm) have been heavily impacted. Doing my commute, I generally have 150-155 estimated miles (full standard charge) when it's warm enough that I don't need the heat or it's barely used. With temps that are -5 and below, I'm making generous use of heat and my range has dropped to 110. Instead of 25% battery per day (32 miles), I'm using more like 35%. Instead of 250-275 whpm, I'm seeing 350+
When it's -10C or colder, the cabin heat is starting to become insufficient; it's on full blast the entire 16 miles, eating up 3.5KW the entire time. It'll be interesting to see how things go when it's -15 and colder (I suspect I've bottomed out the range -- it'll just be a question of can I get cabin temp comfortable or not). There's a LOT of cold air coming from more than just the window area. The Roadster cabin isn't insulated enough -- I hope the Model S will be because heating that much more air mass in these temps is going to require much better insulation if your 160 mile range isn't going to be vaporized when it's -10C out.
The standard stock tires are doing much better than I'd anticipated. They've lost a little grip, but not that much. Much different than the stock summer tires that came with my STi (which turn into ice skates at these temperatures).

If you're losing 40 miles of range with 3.5 kW of heater usage, that would imply your commute takes almost 3 hours? Maye some of that power is going somewhere else, or the battery efficiency is reduced?

I agree with your observation, though. I've only had the car out once at -10C, and the estimated range definitely was lower than I would have expected. I haven't had a chance to double-check it, because I'm not driving the Tesla when there's significant snow on the road (as you say, the stock tires are better than one might think, but I'm not gonna push it).

I also concur about the cabin heater barely being sufficient at -10C. We'll have to see how well it does at -20C.

I have several interesting comparisons of my own this winter. I live in Chicago so the temps are very cold (between -30F and 25F), but the snow doesn't really accumulate all that much, we never have more than 4-6 inches on the ground at one time. Last year, I drove the Roadster almost every day, with the soft top and Sport tires. Overall I thought it worked amazingly well. I was reasonably careful, but not once did the car ever get out of control. I did turn off TC a few times to get through some deep snow in alleyways, etc. As for the the heating, I thought it was adequate, but not stellar. The heated seats make me sweat if I use them for more than 15 min at a time, no matter what the temp.

This year, things are different as I now use my hardtop and switched to winter tires. In the small sample I've had (two weeks of cold temps and medium snow), I've seen a huge improvement. The car handles better than any car I've ever owned in the snow, including a AWD 3-series BMW I owned. I tried pretty hard this past weekend to push it a few times and still couldn't really get a decent skid going. I do find that the car fogs up inside, and it is pretty hard to get rid of no matter what I do. Also, it could use heated mirrors as well. Those things are more pronounced when you are in a car with limited visibility to begin with. The cabin temp is now much higher with hardtop. I barely use the heater at all after an initial blast.

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance in winter, which works out well for me since I sold my 2nd car this summer... :)

Ben & Doug...just curious, the cabin temp is less than comfortable with the cabin heater blasting and the seat heaters on?

Yes, they were on low. High gets your butt too warm.

I'd say the cabin was cool, but not uncomfortably so. Our feet were a little colder than we'd like. The thing is, temperatures here routinely get 10C colder than that in Jan/Feb.

I'm finding that the car feels warmer now with the sound-insulation and wind noise fix. Air leaking in/out?

It might be my internal justification of the cost but, a trip to NYC this morning -8c, heat on full, fan on 2, recirc on. I was wearing a lightweight shirt but the car became too warm after 15 mins so I turned down to 3 o'clock until the sun came up and then I backed down to 2 o'clock.

I have a DIY hardtop and I found the lower air-vent fix to be essential if you're ever to communicate with your toes in winter.

Thanks for the input Doug...I might get off easy as I'm sure you are regularily 10 + degrees colder in Ottawa (winter time) than I am here in Niagara.

Yes, they were on low. High gets your butt too warm.

I'd say the cabin was cool, but not uncomfortably so. Our feet were a little colder than we'd like. The thing is, temperatures here routinely get 10C colder than that in Jan/Feb.

I have several interesting comparisons of my own this winter. I live in Chicago so the temps are very cold (between -30F and 25F), but the snow doesn't really accumulate all that much, we never have more than 4-6 inches on the ground at one time. Last year, I drove the Roadster almost every day, with the soft top and Sport tires. Overall I thought it worked amazingly well. I was reasonably careful, but not once did the car ever get out of control. I did turn off TC a few times to get through some deep snow in alleyways, etc. As for the the heating, I thought it was adequate, but not stellar. The heated seats make me sweat if I use them for more than 15 min at a time, no matter what the temp.

This year, things are different as I now use my hardtop and switched to winter tires. In the small sample I've had (two weeks of cold temps and medium snow), I've seen a huge improvement. The car handles better than any car I've ever owned in the snow, including a AWD 3-series BMW I owned. I tried pretty hard this past weekend to push it a few times and still couldn't really get a decent skid going. I do find that the car fogs up inside, and it is pretty hard to get rid of no matter what I do. Also, it could use heated mirrors as well. Those things are more pronounced when you are in a car with limited visibility to begin with. The cabin temp is now much higher with hardtop. I barely use the heater at all after an initial blast.

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance in winter, which works out well for me since I sold my 2nd car this summer... :)

I think you bring up a very note worthy point that seemingly no one has mentioned. The difference between hard top and soft top effects on heating.

are the people that are having issues with subpar heating still driving with a soft top in the winter?

as a side note and totally off topic, I won the battle with my building management to stall a charger in the indoor parking lot. So now I'm on the fence between the roadster or waiting for a model s.

Thanks for the input Lancelac...ijbad4life, you bring up an interesting point with the soft top / hard top...for some reason, I thought the hard top had no headliner in it (just bare CF) and thus would have little insulation value...the only thing I can thing of is that I mixed it up with an after-market pic of a Lotus hard top that was bare CF. :redface::eek:

(I didn't order a hard top because of this...I helped Prime Mover install his soft top at the Toronto EV show & figured that the material used in the soft top would have higher insulation values than the bare hard top.) :redface::frown:

I guess I might have to order one...doh!!!

BTW lj, congrats on winning your battle...I'd go with the Roadster now rather than wait..it's just too damn much fun to drive!:biggrin:

Last edited:
If you're losing 40 miles of range with 3.5 kW of heater usage, that would imply your commute takes almost 3 hours? Maye some of that power is going somewhere else, or the battery efficiency is reduced?

Well that's 40 miles loss on the estimated range at full, not my actual drive (so 25% less). My whpm goes up by at least 100, part of which is lack of regen (my 30 mile average is now at 380). I do wonder if there's another factor, but heat + no regen is probably most of it.