Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You definitely should. Don't forget that straight line acceleration from 0-60 will be on par or slightly BETTER with 19" than 21". The better "performance" Elon is tweeting about is all cornering. Apart from that 21" are all looks (and expensive tires).

And the replacement expensive tires after encountering your average Canadian pothole. -which is large enough to conceal a small moose!

I've been following the threads about reduced P85d range in the other forum sections with a lot of concern.

Other than local travel, every other trip of mine ends or starts with a 300 km run from the Barrie supercharger to Sudbury or the reverse Based on the early numbers this should have been doable in all but the worst conditions in winter. Now I'm worried that we've been sold something not quite up to the task.

For me, if I can't do that leg, the car becomes an expensive toy. That's not what I signed up for.

With a week before delivery, I'm very concerned, and debating about cancelling.

Opinions?

So, back to this point. When the CEO deletes his tweets that the range will be improved, I get very concerned,again.

Just to follow up on this now that many of us here in Canada have had our P85Ds for a month. What range are you folks seeing? I have only had one longer trip which was from Scarborough to Stoney Creek but from that trip I am estimating that my range is about 250km in roughly -5C weather and this is with preheating before leaving. Is that consistent to what others are seeing?

Just to follow up on this now that many of us here in Canada have had our P85Ds for a month. What range are you folks seeing? I have only had one longer trip which was from Scarborough to Stoney Creek but from that trip I am estimating that my range is about 250km in roughly -5C weather and this is with preheating before leaving. Is that consistent to what others are seeing?

Pretty close to what I am seeing driving around in -14C weather.

Do you know if you have received the software update to improve range on the P85D? I heard it is currently being rolled out by batches, so some have it some not yet.

Do you know if you have received the software update to improve range on the P85D? I heard it is currently being rolled out by batches, so some have it some not yet.
I installed this yesterday morning but it isn't clear that this includes the Torque Sleep software, and even if it did that would only happen when cruising at highway speeds which I haven't done since then and only do once a month or so.

I noticed that cruising on the 407 east from Brampton to the 404 at about 120 km/h, the energy graph was staying below my average BUT then driving north on the 404 with traffic between 80 and 110, the line was above the average again. I suspect headwind and despite looking flat, there is actually a 180 m rise in elevation between the 407 and Aurora Road.

Please keep us updated if you notice any improvement. And it is not clear if the torque sleep feature is included in the latest software release or not.
Hopefully when it reaches us there will be significant improvement.

But from my understanding the torque sleep is only going to help you when going constant highway speeds. Hopefully there are other tweaks that will help improve the range on city driving.

Interesting extreme data point. On the way into work this AM I decided to take a detour to determine if I'm getting anything out of this "torque sleep / range mode".

Over about 50km on mildly rolling clear dry highway I averaged 305 wh/km or 488 wh/mile. Speed 93km/hr. Temperature: -31C! (without wind chill!). I had fully pre-heated the battery for an hour (in a heated garage as well) before leaving, so pack heating wasn't an issue.

Yeesh! No long trips in weather like this. Interestingly, I had it in range mode and the cabin wasn't overly cold. The windows frosted up pretty good though.

Don't bother with Range Mode if the car is warm. It doesn't do anything unless the car is stone cold, and if left on it interferes with preheating.

Understood. But I wanted to make certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the "torque sleep" was functional. So I flipped to range mode after preheating.

Irrespective, the range is still brutal. It works out so that in current conditions I barely have 300km range, if I'm very careful, drive slowly and if I charge to 100%.

Some of the chatter in the other threads talks about folks getting in the low 300s Wh/MILE since the update. That's certainly more than 400km.

I'm not really sure that I could say that I'm seeing much of any improvement since the .139 update but with the weather there are so many complicating factors that it's hard to tell.