Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter/summer Tire Changeover Mixing 18" And 19" Rim's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any software configuration needed when switching from 19" rim's to 18" rims?
I have a SR+ M3 with 19" rim's and I'm looking into a set of rim's for winter tires. If i get 18" aero and switch these over myself if the car going to freak out about traction control? what about mile calculation/ride hight? any other considerations?

All TPMS other than OEM need programming. Tire Rack programmed yours before they shipped them to you.

TireRack sells exactly the same Continental TPMS Tesla uses. They are one frequency. There is nothing to program.

I’ve bought TPMS on eBay, Amazon etc. for other cars. None ever had to be programmed.

But I never buy the universal ones.

Read #1 and #2 at this link. In short most don't need programming.

Sorting Through TPMS Sensors: Programmable? Pre-loaded? Here Are Your Choices - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer

Last edited:
TireRack sells exactly the same Continental TPMS Tesla uses. They are one frequency. There is nothing to program.

I’ve bought TPMS on eBay, Amazon etc. for other cars. None ever had to be programmed.

But I never buy the universal ones.

The frequency is just one of the many items that need to match between the sensor in the wheel and the receiver in the vehicle. Also required to match are the modulation, protocol, and ID information. Buying a TPMS sensor that is the same frequency that your car uses is no guarantee that it will work.

Tesla uses Continental's receivers in the majority of their vehicles on the road. 433MHz Continental sensors will work without modification because they are essentially OEM -- they already match everything. This is what Tire Rack sent you. They're also quite a bit higher in price than many programmable sensors.

If you're buying a sensor that is for a specific model car, that generally means you're buying an OEM sensor and thus it is already set up to work with the receivers in that vehicle. But again, availability and price can be an issue.

Many programmable sensors are available that will work with nearly every vehicle on the road, and can be half the price of many OEM sensors.

Reactions: Castlerock