Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do winter tires give better range?
No, winter tires give more traction and shorter stopping distance than all season or summer tires. That's why they're recommended in snowy parts of the world.

I remember New Year's Eve about 15 years ago, I was driving my old Ford van with all seasons. It was well past midnight, so traffic was non-existent. I wound up sliding through an intersection. That's how I learned my lesson about winter tires and stopping distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was getting quote for Michelin Xice XI3 at random tire shops and the girl says they are not the right tire for the Model S. Then she quoted me for Pirelli Sottozero S2 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D -_-

Nope. The Pirelli is the default winter tire if you order the package from Tesla, but any number of folks here will tell you they are not very good. I highly recommend the Nokian Hakka R2 but I have heard good things about the Michelin X-ice too.

Nope. The Pirelli is the default winter tire if you order the package from Tesla, but any number of folks here will tell you they are not very good. I highly recommend the Nokian Hakka R2 but I have heard good things about the Michelin X-ice too.

Yeah I know about the Pirelli. They are quoted as performance winter tire so does the Dunlop. Pretty sure she didn't know what she was talking about and was trying to sell me more expensive tires.

I've ordered some WR G3s and picked up some 19" wheels from Tesla (the base wheel). I don't encounter snow all that often but I'm tired of trying to guess if it's going to be icy and then having to take the Yukon if it might.

I guess I waited too long to place the order though, the tire place that sells them had to do some special order thing to get them here sooner than 8 weeks. Oh well, it's only money. :/

Anyway, I'm sure I'll report back if I do encounter any snow.

Oic...thanks....I thought I read somewhere on the forum that someone reported better range with winter tires, but there were no logs I think

I reported that my Nokian Hakka R2s (claimed to have "ultra low rolling resistance") did not affect my range/energy consumption at all compared to the 19" summer tires. Not better but certainly not worse. The Goodyear winter tires I have on my wife's ICE do seem to result in a 1 or 2 MPG decrease.

I've ordered some WR G3s and picked up some 19" wheels from Tesla (the base wheel). I don't encounter snow all that often but I'm tired of trying to guess if it's going to be icy and then having to take the Yukon if it might.

I guess I waited too long to place the order though, the tire place that sells them had to do some special order thing to get them here sooner than 8 weeks. Oh well, it's only money. :/

Anyway, I'm sure I'll report back if I do encounter any snow.

Did you get your 19" wheels from the Tigard SC? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, getting stock 19" Tesla wheels, and ordering the WR G3's. How has it handled in the rain so far?

Did you get your 19" wheels from the Tigard SC? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, getting stock 19" Tesla wheels, and ordering the WR G3's. How has it handled in the rain so far?

Yes, Tigard SC supplied the wheels, TPMS sensors and center caps, Tire Factory (Point S) supplied the tires and did the mounting and installation.

The WRs are good in the wet. I've noticed less traction on hard acceleration as compared to the Continental Extreme Contacts I have on the 21"s but that's to be expected. I've not tested them in snow yet but will likely on the 1st.

Yes, Tigard SC supplied the wheels, TPMS sensors and center caps, Tire Factory (Point S) supplied the tires and did the mounting and installation.

The WRs are good in the wet. I've noticed less traction on hard acceleration as compared to the Continental Extreme Contacts I have on the 21"s but that's to be expected. I've not tested them in snow yet but will likely on the 1st.

Thanks for the quick reply! Did you pick up the wheels yourself and bring it back to Eugene? Will they fit in the back of a MS? We might need to go to Portland in a couple of weeks, so we can get them at the same time.

Looking forward to a trip report with your new tires.

Thanks for the quick reply! Did you pick up the wheels yourself and bring it back to Eugene? Will they fit in the back of a MS? We might need to go to Portland in a couple of weeks, so we can get them at the same time.

Looking forward to a trip report with your new tires.

Yes, I schlepped the wheels. I got three in the trunk and put one behind the driver's seat. In retrospect I should have put that one in the frunk.

Okay, well I had my first experience in the snow with the WRG3s. Overall I'm quite happy. Perhaps not as perfect as the studded Hakkapeliittas I have on my 4x4 SUV but really, really good for an all weather tire. I was able to take the 45mph curves very comfortably at 45mph (on dry pavement I wouldn't take the cruise control off) and probably could have gone faster.

Drove over hwy 58 here in Oregon. The road surface was packed snow over ice for about 30 miles.

IMG_6517.jpg
IMG_6519.jpg
IMG_6521.jpg