Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
John, for what it's worth, Tesla has worked on my car (alignment etc.) for some time now with my Lugano wheels. I was never asked to sign a waiver to the best of my recollection.
oK and fwiw tesla in Chicago has refused to rotate my aftermarket wheels/tires. Practices inconsistent. Do not assume your experience is universal. It's good news there's a waiver I can request.

The Watertown, MA, SC said they would mount my WR-G3s on my existing 19-inch rims for $40 per tire. Glad to see we're not the only ones trying out the WR-G3.

I've used other WR-series tires on previous cars. There's only a couple of snow tires that do better, and if the temperature in your area swings wildly, they don't melt when it gets to summer temperatures the day after it was below freezing.

John, for what it's worth, Tesla has worked on my car (alignment etc.) for some time now with my Lugano wheels. I was never asked to sign a waiver to the best of my recollection.
Mike I think it depends which service centre you frequent. You just have to look throughout TMC and there have been very inconsistent reports on the Tesla policy. Now it is defined.

So, my snows were getting toward bald, as this is their third winter and I do a lot of driving to and from VT from CT. Alas, I got a flat up in VT last week, and was stuck with what the tire place in had in my size for snows on Christmas Eve when I had to get on the road to the inlaws; Nexen.

I've never even heard of Nexen, and man were they cheap ($120 a tire installed). So far they seem fine, if not a little loud. My wH/m have gone up about 15%, but could be that it is 12f today. I'm going to add air this afternoon.

Anyone have any experience with Nexen? The tire guy was basically no help except to tell me it would take him several days to get Nokians as it was Christmas time (happened on the 23rd), and he heard people have them on Audi's in Europe (which I didn't believe for a moment).

For the last 5 mi: Royal Drive is pretty well traveled and maintained since it's the access for Stein's Lodge and the Montage. It's got some sharp curves tho. The last 1/2 mile is off of that main road and is where I needed chains before. Even the driveway into the house can be bit squirrelly since it's got a sharp uphill 90.

I suppose I could save $1200 by just replacing the all-seasons with the Michelins and see how much it bugs me to drive on them off-season. Is that crazy? Are they bad news when the temps hit 90?
If I hate it then I'll go the separate snow wheels route for next year.
I just want to say thanks to the folks here who responded to my post about getting winter tires for my SoCal to Park City run. I went with option 1. All-seasons and chains. Got plenty of snow while I was there but the Model S handled fine even on the last bit of steep un-plowed road. Driving down the mountain generated a bit of adrenaline giving me flash-backs to college ski trips, which was the last time I was in a rear-wheel drive car in the snow.
Coming home was a lesson in cold-weather range reduction; it was -8 when we left PC and with skis and extra luggage weight my Wh/mi got hammered. But the energy display and rated miles were a very accurate gauge for what speed I could maintain and realistically make the next SC. I rolled into 2 of them with less than 15 mi range showing but it was exactly what I was predicting from the gauges. I also got some advice on using the oddball 6-20 outlet in my sister's garage to give me 16A @ 240V; which worked perfectly.
This is a great community. Thanks for the helpful tips. I had a beautiful and electric ski trip this Christmas.

I just want to say thanks to the folks here who responded to my post about getting winter tires for my SoCal to Park City run. I went with option 1. All-seasons and chains. Got plenty of snow while I was there but the Model S handled fine even on the last bit of steep un-plowed road. Driving down the mountain generated a bit of adrenaline giving me flash-backs to college ski trips, which was the last time I was in a rear-wheel drive car in the snow.
Coming home was a lesson in cold-weather range reduction; it was -8 when we left PC and with skis and extra luggage weight my Wh/mi got hammered. But the energy display and rated miles were a very accurate gauge for what speed I could maintain and realistically make the next SC. I rolled into 2 of them with less than 15 mi range showing but it was exactly what I was predicting from the gauges. I also got some advice on using the oddball 6-20 outlet in my sister's garage to give me 16A @ 240V; which worked perfectly.
This is a great community. Thanks for the helpful tips. I had a beautiful and electric ski trip this Christmas.

Glad to hear things went well and that you had a great time! If you were here for Christmas you had some great fresh powder as well!

Model S does not need snow tires

I like several others on this forum have gone through back to back VERY tough winters in New England with my Model S with the stock all season tires. To put things in perspective for others in the world, in the last 3 weeks we've had storm(s) of 34+, 24, 20, 18, 16 and 6 inches.....yes that is over 100 inches of snow....in 3 weeks. Cars are buried everywhere and road conditions have been aweful (2 lane streets reduced to 1 lane). The MS with stock tires does not has never spun out, lost control, or got stuck....unlike the SUVs or front wheel drive cars on the road.

So, because of the amazing stability & traction control of the electric drive train of the car, it has handled these horrible horrible conditions without any hiccup. We can even go up slushy hills (where you cannot see the ground) albeit in a manner I've never seen before in a car. I also debated about getting the Michelin ICEs last year but wanted to test out the stock tires first, never needed to. I do switch out the stock all seasons for 20" aftermarket extreme performance summer tires though.

Model S does not need snow tires

I like several others on this forum have gone through back to back VERY tough winters in New England with my Model S with the stock all season tires. To put things in perspective for others in the world, in the last 3 weeks we've had storm(s) of 34+, 24, 20, 18, 16 and 6 inches.....yes that is over 100 inches of snow....in 3 weeks. Cars are buried everywhere and road conditions have been aweful (2 lane streets reduced to 1 lane). The MS with stock tires does not has never spun out, lost control, or got stuck....unlike the SUVs or front wheel drive cars on the road.

So, because of the amazing stability & traction control of the electric drive train of the car, it has handled these horrible horrible conditions without any hiccup. We can even go up slushy hills (where you cannot see the ground) albeit in a manner I've never seen before in a car. I also debated about getting the Michelin ICEs last year but wanted to test out the stock tires first, never needed to. I do switch out the stock all seasons for 20" aftermarket extreme performance summer tires though.

But how about braking performance? How does that compare to winter tyres? All the electronic wizardry in the world can't help you to brake with more force if the tyres don't have enough grip.

But how about braking performance? How does that compare to winter tyres? All the electronic wizardry in the world can't help you to brake with more force if the tyres don't have enough grip.

My experience with new OE tires is that they are barely adequate when new in icy situations. X-ice, R2, or WR-3g are what should be on during winter.

We are in northern lower Michigan snow country where snow tires can make a big difference. While you may be able to get by without them in milder climates here it is just good risk management practice to have them.

I couldn't agree more. Further, I find it is people with 4WD or AWD who feel even more strongly that they don't need winter tires, yet they cannot stop any better than 2WD vehicles. It seems to me that the majority of vehicles I see upside down in the ditch over the winter months are AWD or 4WD.

We are in northern lower Michigan snow country where snow tires can make a big difference. While you may be able to get by without them in milder climates here it is just good risk management practice to have them. I put them on in November and take them off at the end of April. We have had great success on all of our cars with these Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - A non-studded tire that offers supreme driving comfort and safety / Nokian Tires

See my objective testing of the stock Michelin All Seasons vs the Nokian Hakka R2's on a P85D in packed powder at Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Snow Tire Report - Page 6.

I saw increases in acceleration of about 30%, and more importantly, reductions in stopping distance of about 30% with the Hakka R2's. Those tests were on packed powder. I am sure the difference in performance would be greater on conditions that progressed to ice.

I couldn't agree more. Further, I find it is people with 4WD or AWD who feel even more strongly that they don't need winter tires, yet they cannot stop any better than 2WD vehicles. It seems to me that the majority of vehicles I see upside down in the ditch over the winter months are AWD or 4WD.

This happens on an ice day in DFW too. Besides not having good winter tires, SUV and pickup tires are sized for the maximum load. One driver and no cargo is going to be far from the maximum load.

Summer Tires Club.jpg

That's really the way it should be in states with severe winter weather.

You can never enforce safe/sane practices in America because freedom.

Feel free to go out with woefully inappropriate tires for the conditions.

So you destroy property and quite possibly kill people. Freedom comes with a price, and personal freedom shall not be infringed.

Many would argue that every pedistrian should carry a firearm so they could shoot drivers of out-of-control cars because they are an immediate threat to their personal safety.

Then again, there are those who put appropriate tires on their cars for their own safety and the safety of others.

My experience with new OE tires is that they are barely adequate when new in icy situations. X-ice, R2, or WR-3g are what should be on during winter.

This is correct. If you're driving DOWN an icy hill.. you want *good* snow tires. The X-ice3 have been great for me, other people love the Hakkas.

The only time I ever lost control of my car was going downhill on ice in the week in Feburary after I first got the car, before I got my snow tires put on. (Tesla was not providing any snow tires at the time, so I had to order them through my local shop). Luckily it was an empty road and I skidded to a stop eventually (with the front end breaking loose repeatedly), but I never want to repeat that.