Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had our X-ice 3's put on to day.

I'm not impressed. It was raining when I left the tire shop and the tires spun when I pulled out on the street. I was even gentle because I never drove in them before.

The wet traction is horrible. I almost feel like I am driving on ice.

New tires will have mold release still on them. Give them about 300 miles. The Pirelli tires are fine if you never get snow. In the winter tire thread there are videos of how good they are. Also check the tire pressures add 3 psi.

The tires are getting a little better. 52 degs today. I did my 30 mph then ~110kw and they stuck this time. Still I'm going to have to be careful because they don't have near the grip of the Primacy's.

Kinda crazy though that at 55 if I mash the accelerator on dry roads the traction control kicks in. I guess I never really appreciated the grip of the Primacy's.

I have driven all my winters on blizzarks for the past 10 years except for last winter since the Primacy's were brand new we used them on the Tesla and tried to stay out of the snow when possible. We had the blizzarks on a 328i and a 530i (both rwd) and I didn't notice them being this loose, however those decent hp cars are no comparison to the beast motor in the Tesla.

The tires are getting a little better. 52 degs today. I did my 30 mph then ~110kw and they stuck this time. Still I'm going to have to be careful because they don't have near the grip of the Primacy's.

Kinda crazy though that at 55 if I mash the accelerator on dry roads the traction control kicks in. I guess I never really appreciated the grip of the Primacy's.

I have driven all my winters on blizzarks for the past 10 years except for last winter since the Primacy's were brand new we used them on the Tesla and tried to stay out of the snow when possible. We had the blizzarks on a 328i and a 530i (both rwd) and I didn't notice them being this loose, however those decent hp cars are no comparison to the beast motor in the Tesla.

There are multiple blizzak models, some tuned more for performance vs snow traction.

New tires will have mold release still on them. Give them about 300 miles.

Yep. When I put my brand new Hakka R2s on last winter, the roads were wet and I spun the tires pulling out of the tire shop. It then slipped a bit with some ABS action at a stop sign. I though "what the heck?!?" then remembered this fact with new tires. After a day or two they were fine.

I was planning to order Michelin XIce (probably from TireRack) and a set of wheels and TPMS (from Tesla), the price is basically a wash between doing this and ordering Tesla's Winter set. I've done some further research and decided that for the weather around the Seattle area that the Pirelli might be better. They do better in the wet conditions I'll have most of the winter, but a little worse in conditions that won't happen very often here. Both are recommended by Consumer Reports.

I was planning to order Michelin XIce (probably from TireRack) and a set of wheels and TPMS (from Tesla), the price is basically a wash between doing this and ordering Tesla's Winter set. I've done some further research and decided that for the weather around the Seattle area that the Pirelli might be better. They do better in the wet conditions I'll have most of the winter, but a little worse in conditions that won't happen very often here. Both are recommended by Consumer Reports.

The Pirellis would probably do fine in Seattle. Your problem will be people in all seasons sliding into your car more than you losing grip. The Michelins would give you better grip going up into BC and hitting the ski slopes.

The Pirellis would probably do fine in Seattle. Your problem will be people in all seasons sliding into your car more than you losing grip. The Michelins would give you better grip going up into BC and hitting the ski slopes.

We've never done that, neither of us are skiers. Sometimes we go up to Snoqualmie Pass in the winter to look at the snow, but never gone to BC. More than anything I want something that will give me better grip to get up my driveway, which is somewhat steep and better tires if we decide to go visit family in the midwest in the Winter.

Thus the Pirellis now seem to be the better trade off.

I'm looking for some advice for an upcoming trip and have read all 23 pages of this thread with interest. Not sure if I gleaned an answer for this case. In one month I'll be driving my Model S from SoCal to Park City with 2 passengers, a dog and a roof rack of skis. Staying at a house up in Deer Valley for 2 weeks. I've got the stock 19" Goodyear all-seasons with 15k miles (showing very little wear). It's a straight shot up I-15 at 75mph, about 100 miles of high mountain pass and then a fairly steep climb of ~5 miles from Park City up to the house. I've done it many times, usually in an AWD Volvo with all-seasons. Needed chains one time in 6 years.

Option 1: Go with the tires I have (carry chains of course) and just avoid making the drive up or back during weather (my sched is flexible). The Volvo will be there, so it's an option to leave the Tesla parked in the garage if it snows during our stay (I hope it does!).

Option 2: Don't dork around; Get the TireRack Rials with Michelin Xi3s and TPMS for about $2200. Mount them a week before the trip and remove them when I get home. I picked the Michelins based on comments here about the road noise. I don't want to drive my passengers crazy after 500 miles on smooth/dry interstate. Find some place around my house with very little storage to keep them. Put them back on 11 mos later the next time I go to PC in winter. It's really the only winter driving I do.

I realize this is subjective but most of the discussion here deals with people who live in winter-time areas as opposed to visit it for brief periods once a year. $2200 is 5 days of skiing for 4 of us so it's not chump change.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice.

I'm looking for some advice for an upcoming trip and have read all 23 pages of this thread with interest. Not sure if I gleaned an answer for this case. In one month I'll be driving my Model S from SoCal to Park City with 2 passengers, a dog and a roof rack of skis. Staying at a house up in Deer Valley for 2 weeks. I've got the stock 19" Goodyear all-seasons with 15k miles (showing very little wear). It's a straight shot up I-15 at 75mph, about 100 miles of high mountain pass and then a fairly steep climb of ~5 miles from Park City up to the house. I've done it many times, usually in an AWD Volvo with all-seasons. Needed chains one time in 6 years.

Option 1: Go with the tires I have (carry chains of course) and just avoid making the drive up or back during weather (my sched is flexible). The Volvo will be there, so it's an option to leave the Tesla parked in the garage if it snows during our stay (I hope it does!).

Option 2: Don't dork around; Get the TireRack Rials with Michelin Xi3s and TPMS for about $2200. Mount them a week before the trip and remove them when I get home. I picked the Michelins based on comments here about the road noise. I don't want to drive my passengers crazy after 500 miles on smooth/dry interstate. Find some place around my house with very little storage to keep them. Put them back on 11 mos later the next time I go to PC in winter. It's really the only winter driving I do.

I realize this is subjective but most of the discussion here deals with people who live in winter-time areas as opposed to visit it for brief periods once a year. $2200 is 5 days of skiing for 4 of us so it's not chump change.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice.

If you were just driving to SLC I'd say go option 1. The last bit of your journey is a bit more risky. what are the conditions generally like the last 5 miles, are they are regularly plowed and kept clear all winter? Chains will help in a pinch but I'd definitely plan around the weather forecast to avoid storms. Problem is snow often falls up that way even when the valley is clear.

If you were just driving to SLC I'd say go option 1. The last bit of your journey is a bit more risky. what are the conditions generally like the last 5 miles, are they are regularly plowed and kept clear all winter? Chains will help in a pinch but I'd definitely plan around the weather forecast to avoid storms. Problem is snow often falls up that way even when the valley is clear.
For the last 5 mi: Royal Drive is pretty well traveled and maintained since it's the access for Stein's Lodge and the Montage. It's got some sharp curves tho. The last 1/2 mile is off of that main road and is where I needed chains before. Even the driveway into the house can be bit squirrelly since it's got a sharp uphill 90.

I suppose I could save $1200 by just replacing the all-seasons with the Michelins and see how much it bugs me to drive on them off-season. Is that crazy? Are they bad news when the temps hit 90?
If I hate it then I'll go the separate snow wheels route for next year.

For the last 5 mi: Royal Drive is pretty well traveled and maintained since it's the access for Stein's Lodge and the Montage. It's got some sharp curves tho. The last 1/2 mile is off of that main road and is where I needed chains before. Even the driveway into the house can be bit squirrelly since it's got a sharp uphill 90.

I suppose I could save $1200 by just replacing the all-seasons with the Michelins and see how much it bugs me to drive on them off-season. Is that crazy? Are they bad news when the temps hit 90?

Yes, that is crazy. You could run tires that are great 5 days of the year or tires that are great 360 days a year, which makes more sense? Keep the all seasons on and use the chains.

You might try the Nokian WR-g3 tires. They don't melt in the heat, and are as good for snow and ice as all but a very few snow tires. On previous cars I've run WR and WR-g2.

I also think that perhaps, this thread could be more productive... :wink: It seems many of us here in North America that require snow tires, are not satisfied with the Pirelli's...perhaps we should (en masse) request that Tesla please "certify" the Nokians, or some other brand so that we have a choice...

I also think that perhaps, this thread could be more productive... :wink: It seems many of us here in North America that require snow tires, are not satisfied with the Pirelli's...perhaps we should (en masse) request that Tesla please "certify" the Nokians, or some other brand so that we have a choice...

There is certainly precedent. Tesla sold the Nokian Hakka 7 studded tires in the U.S. two years ago, and apparently sells the Nokian Hakka R2's in Norway, now.