Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, please post your pics. I plan to get the Replika R187 @SmartElectric put on his (gunmetal). My S is white and has 19" wheels so ideally I'd like to get a gunmetal sticker with a white "T" symbol for the centre cap.

the original TMC thread where I read about these centre cap stickers is here - I just updated it with a pic of the stickers on my wheels, plus you can see other people's pics and another source for similar product. you can order any diameter that you need to fit your centre caps.

for comparison, a couple pics of these wheels before I got the stickers, here.

p.s. my wheels and 3rd party TMPS sensors (including cloning) are from 1010tires, I notice they also have a location in Mississauga, plus a very good web store. I know they carry the Replika wheels, among other brands that will fit the Model S. I've been buying tires & wheels from them for many years since before when they were known as Volco Tires here in BC.

oh that reminds me, Kal Tire caries Nokian but 1010 does not. I bought my Hakka R2's at KalTire the season prior, separate from my summer wheels this year. So my mention of 1010 probably not so useful in context of winter wheels+tires should you be wanting the Nokians.

Kal Tire matched and beat the others on price on the R187.

Note that I bought $4 Tesla caps for my Replikas. Not stickers! See latest pics in my car thread.

That's what I thought. Where did you get the caps? I also noticed that at first your caps didn't match the rim but I think you put a sticker on them after. Is that correct? If so, where did you get your stickers?

I bought grey caps from Tesla service.

I left the silver caps on for that first summer.

This year the grey caps are on as I swapped onto summers.

Perfect. Fair warning...I am doing the Replika R187 and the grey caps for my winters. I may even do it at the same Kal Tire but I am in Etobicoke and Tires23 is much more convenient.

Did Kal even get your TPMS?

Reactions: SmartElectric
I went the R187 route as well through Kal Tire (who I have always used for my winters) and went with the R2's although I believe that the newest Hakka tire might be a bit better on a few counts. Not sure I have seen a Tesla review on those. For TPMS, I just ordered mine through Tesla and left them for Kal Tire to instal which they did at no extra cost. The only programming needed is to answer a question that comes into the screen when it senses a change, very easy.

I also ordered my centre caps from the service centre as with some plastic lug nut covers.

My R187s are my summer rim of choice and really love the look!

As for the winter Tire, I cannot say enough about Hakkas, which I have now been using for over 15 years (I feel the other guys are just catching up and perhaps only Michelin is coming close or the same).

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I've used Pirelli Scorpions, Nokian R2's, and WRG3's on my Model S.

The Pirellis are on my 21" Turbines and they are great in the wet, but I don't trust them on snow/ice. Great for performance in the fall/spring and are not too noisy.

The WRG3's are on some TSportline 19" wheels and they are quiet and will pull you through most winter driving conditions other than ice. Not much noise and drive like All-season tires.

My original 19" Classic wheels sport some Nokian R2's and they are terrific in ice, slush and snow, but are noisier and softer than most tires out there. They feel and sound like Blizzaks, but outperform the Blizzaks overall.

I have another set of 19" TSportlines that will be getting the studded R9's this winter and I'll report back after some use.

As for TPMS, any service center sells them for $75 each plus tax and you get a choice of black or silver stems for a couple of bucks each as well. For center caps, the Service center sells 3 colours for about $7 each cap. They carry matte black center caps for the Model X Onyx rims, grey for Model S grey Turbines, and also the silver for the other rims.

I'm on a roadtrip in Palm Springs CA, and just purchased a set of TPMS for my future studded R9's and they where $41USD with the valve stem cover. Factoring the exchange rate, they only cost about $200CDN for the whole set.

Also, you don't need to have the service center to program your sensors...the car automatically recognizes the sensors.

Model S < 50900 VIN uses Baolong brand sensors and >50900 VIN uses the newer Continental brand sensors. If you look closely, the brand is written on the sensor.

All Model X's use the newer sensors and they automatically program after driving over 70km/h and also after about 10 minutes from personal experience. I swap my own wheels/tires on my X and S, so I have a little bit of experience.

Personally, I like using Kal Tire locally and if I'm across the border Discount Tire is great.

Reactions: Struja
My original 19" Classic wheels sport some Nokian R2's and they are terrific in ice, slush and snow, but are noisier and softer than most tires out there. They feel and sound like Blizzaks, but outperform the Blizzaks overall.

Your response is very helpful. Thank you.

The line I quoted is what I suspected. I had my first set of Nokian Hakka's about 25 years ago and they were amazing but noisy. I had one other set thereafter and still amazing but still noisy.

I then bought three sets of Blizzaks for different cars we owned and I thought their performance was average (at best) and road noise was terrible, so that is why I am leaning toward the X-Ice 3.

From what I am also getting from everyone is that I DO NOT have to buy TPMS directly from Tesla. That makes things easier.

...so that is why I am leaning toward the X-Ice 3.

From what I am also getting from everyone is that I DO NOT have to buy TPMS directly from Tesla. That makes things easier.

From my investigations, I think the X-Ice and Hakka R2 are pretty evenly matched.

My car has the older 1st Gen sensors (can't tell you individual tire pressure) and I just ordered them with my rims from Tire Rack at the time. I later heard that getting them from Tesla would have been less expensive. Not sure if the same holds true for the newer sensors, but it probably wouldn't hurt to call Service for pricing.

Reactions: Struja
I see that two of you are using your Replika R187's as your summer rim now. My concern about doing that was based upon the *assumption* that my slipstream OEM rims would be of better quality than the Replikas and since I only use the winters for 4-5 months, I was better off using the Replikas during the shorter winter.

Admittedly, I have no idea if the are actually better quality or worse so I am open to change. Any ideas on their quality as compared to the OEM rims?

I see that two of you are using your Replika R187's as your summer rim now. My concern about doing that was based upon the *assumption* that my slipstream OEM rims would be of better quality than the Replikas and since I only use the winters for 4-5 months, I was better off using the Replikas during the shorter winter.

Admittedly, I have no idea if the are actually better quality or worse so I am open to change. Any ideas on their quality as compared to the OEM rims?

To me I think they are pretty good quality wise. I prefer the look and also they will only be on the car for about five months here as we tend to get snow in a lot more months :( Summer here is two months at best. In the winter, I don't really car what looks best on the wheels as they are dirty most of the time.

I've got two summers on the R187's and have no issues.
Far prefer the look to stock.
Easy to clean, look good even with grime on them, fantastic rims for the price.

Would like to see how to fit R187's our Model 3 when it arrives.

Unfortunately, I don't think a 19" low profile would be suitable for our tight driveway with tall side lip where a low profile tire/rim combo would be ruined.

Not sure what the current pricing is on the R187's -- called around last week to 3 places and the best I found was at NextMod in Markham. I work in the area so it was convenient for me.

$750 (tax in) set of 4 19" - cash and carry. They don't have a tire I'll still need to run it down the street to have my 19" tires swapped over.

They also said they could get 20" R187's for $100 / more for the set.

Nice guys at the shop - had a healthy assortment of car care products in case anyone wants to wash their car :)

I paid $200 per rim from Kal Tire and they discounted the mount and balance. Plus because I bought the tires from them I got free lifetime summer/winter swap, saving me effort and $$ twice per year.

Do they also store the tires, because the free lifetime swap would only work for me if they store them. I don't have the room for them and typically leave them with my ICE mechanic who does the swap (included in the price of storing the tires).

So I was in the area of the Oakville SC and I stopped in to see if they had the dark Tesla centre caps and the all weather mats (Tesla branded ones from Weathertech). I got the mats on the spot (put them in the car already and they look and feel great). They didn't have the caps though.

They told me that the centre caps sell out pretty quickly when they come in but I was able to put a hold on 4 when they come in. The service was great and I am slowly getting ready for November! Lol