Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found these 19" puppies on Kijiji for $599+tax at Union Rims..

Perfect fit for the Tesla model S.. made in England..
Bought TMPS from Tesla for $300
Michelin 19" x-ice 3 from Tires 23.

All together is $2400 CAD after tax!

xG35, Looks good. How do you like your winter wheels? I saw them at a local shop (not as cheap as $599 though)

Was on Nokian's website and noticed that Hakkapeliitta 9 studded and non-studded tires are coming out in fall of 2017.

I'll probably test a set of Hakka 9's out next winter season on the X. Have Hakka 8's and R2's on my current vehicles and they performed well the past couple of months through snow, ice, and slush.

Was on Nokian's website and noticed that Hakkapeliitta 9 studded and non-studded tires are coming out in fall of 2017.

I'll probably test a set of Hakka 9's out next winter season on the X. Have Hakka 8's and R2's on my current vehicles and they performed well the past couple of months through snow, ice, and slush.

Just hope they release the right sizes off the start as I find they don't always have certain sizes for a bit. If I recall on a review the 8s might have been rated better than the R2s for rolling resistance and so it will be interesting to see if these improve upon the older styles.

Just hope they release the right sizes off the start as I find they don't always have certain sizes for a bit. If I recall on a review the 8s might have been rated better than the R2s for rolling resistance and so it will be interesting to see if these improve upon the older styles.

Looks like they will have 265/45/20 and 275/45/20 for the X and 245/45/19 for the S in the size lineup. Nokian site mentions better wearability, lower noise and better fuel consumption compared to previous Hakka generations.

Last edited:
So, I saw winter tires being advertised in my weekly flyers so I figured I could ask these questions in preparation. Here goes....

I've read conflicting things on TPMS programming. My plan is 100% is to buy winter rims and tires with TPMS. I plan to buy Tesla TPMS but I have read that Tesla won't program TPMS unless I buy the package for wheels, tires and TPMS from them. Is that true or not?

Will Tesla store my winter tire package if I don't buy from them?

I may buy from Tesla just trying to weigh my options.

If I don't buy from Tesla, has anyone had success with buying elsewhere? If so, any GTA recommendations? By success I mean a fully compatible transition to winter tires and NO issues setting up TPMS? Also, I like some of the Tesla compatible wheels on Tire Rack that I really like but I don't think I can get them locally?

Are non-Tesla mechanics capable of setting up TPMS codes on a model S?

Any recommendations on QUIET 19" winter tires? (Please don't say Blizzaks - I had them on my last car and the road noise drives me nuts).

1. You just need tpms. Make sure you get the right ones. There's 2 versions. There's no programming involved. I bought a set of 4 tesla 2.0 tpms and the tire shop installed them (tires 23 in Mississauga) with my turbines and 21" Michelin PSS and everything was fine. The car actually asked if i changed to 21" wheels
2. Michelin pilot alpin are great and quiet
3. Tires 23 is hands down the best tire shop I've been to. Best prices great service.

So, I saw winter tires being advertised in my weekly flyers so I figured I could ask these questions in preparation. Here goes....

I've read conflicting things on TPMS programming. My plan is 100% is to buy winter rims and tires with TPMS. I plan to buy Tesla TPMS but I have read that Tesla won't program TPMS unless I buy the package for wheels, tires and TPMS from them. Is that true or not?

Will Tesla store my winter tire package if I don't buy from them?

I may buy from Tesla just trying to weigh my options.

If I don't buy from Tesla, has anyone had success with buying elsewhere? If so, any GTA recommendations? By success I mean a fully compatible transition to winter tires and NO issues setting up TPMS? Also, I like some of the Tesla compatible wheels on Tire Rack that I really like but I don't think I can get them locally?

Are non-Tesla mechanics capable of setting up TPMS codes on a model S?

Any recommendations on QUIET 19" winter tires? (Please don't say Blizzaks - I had them on my last car and the road noise drives me nuts).
I just bought four 19 inch Tesla rims and slightly used Michelin ICE winter tires off a guy near St. Louis who changed his for 21 inch.
It was a hell of a deal, less than half the price here.
Also, because i was away more than two days, I didn't have to pay the HST at the border.
I found them on the TMC classifieds.

Reactions: Falkirk
1. There is no TPMS programming required if you have the correct ones as mentioned above.
2. If you can't keep them at home, there are many tire places that do storage for a price.
3. No storage problem if you get the Nokian WRG3 tires. They are winter certified but can be left on all seasons. Not as good as Nokian Hakkepelitas.

Reactions: Struja
1. There is no TPMS programming required if you have the correct ones as mentioned above.
2. If you can't keep them at home, there are many tire places that do storage for a price.
3. No storage problem if you get the Nokian WRG3 tires. They are winter certified but can be left on all seasons. Not as good as Nokian Hakkepelitas.

and

Check Nokia WR G3 tires. They do well in winter and stay on all year, saving a lot of money and hassle.

Thanks. So that makes part of my decision easy... as long as I get the Tesla TPMS, no need for programming.

I'm interested in the WR G3 tires, however, I have two concerns.

I had a set of Hakkepelitas years ago and they performed amazing but were noisy as hell. How are the WR G3's for noise?

The other issue is the tires that came with the car are virtually brand new, which is why I just wanted to do a new set of rims and tires. If the swap is simply remove and put the new ones on with NO programming, I can keep them with my old ICE mechanic who kept my winter set from my Lexus.

There are at least a few winter tire threads already in the Canada forum. Perhaps mod could merge this with those.

See my rims/tires here:
Smart ED and CPO Tesla S85 in Toronto

Very happy with the service at Kal Tire, and the price/look is right!

I LOVE those rims. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I will price them at Kal Tire and check around to see various prices. Thx.

Reactions: SmartElectric
For tires, I'd choose safety over noise every time...just turn your music up a little.

On my last car, I chose the Blizzak's over the Michelin Ice because the Blizzaks slightly outperformed the Michelin's in braking on ice. I regretted that decision every time I stepped in my car. The difference was so minimal that safety wasn't an issue, but I would agree with your general principle.

My understanding is that the Michelin's are MUCH quieter than the Blizzaks, so that was the tire I was sort of leaning towards, if I go to a dedicated winter tire.

I had a set of Hakkepelitas years ago and they performed amazing but were noisy as hell. How are the WR G3's for noise?

I use the Hakka R2's on my Model S and they are very quite, not to mention the best winter tire hands down in my opinion. Perhaps yours were an earlier version of that tire.

I do like the idea of a no swap scenario with the WRG3's. Paul speaks quite highly of them.

Reactions: Jaff
I have a couple of other questions...

1. Where do you get the Tesla centre caps for the rims? They aren't on the Tesla website. Will the SC have them?

2. Same question as above for winter mats (only they are on the website) but I believe I read someone say they have them in stock at the SC.

I have a couple of other questions...

1. Where do you get the Tesla centre caps for the rims? They aren't on the Tesla website. Will the SC have them?

2. Same question as above for winter mats (only they are on the website) but I believe I read someone say they have them in stock at the SC.

Depending on the rim, your current Tesla center cap may already fit. Mine didn't. I don't really care, but if you search these forums, there is a guy selling "T" logo stickers for other sized center caps that actually look quite good.

The winter mats are made for Tesla by Weathertech and they make their own version under their own name. You can order them on-line or from Weathertech dealers like Canadian Tire. Oddly, when I got mine, the Tesla-branded ones were actually a bit less expensive even with the shipping from the US... but that was back when the dollar was closer to par. Some Service Centers do have stock, and it would certainly be a good idea to ask.

Depending on the rim, your current Tesla center cap may already fit. Mine didn't. I don't really care, but if you search these forums, there is a guy selling "T" logo stickers for other sized center caps that actually look quite good.
@Struja I recently bought some of those center cap stickers for my 3rd party wheels, they do look good and seem to be of good, durable quality. Got mine, grey with white Tesla logo, from: 3dcarstickers.com
the website doesn't list Tesla ones but he can make them for you them if you email a request.
If you need I can post a photo of mine, just ask

ps I had no problems using a 3rd party tire shop for extra set of wheels and tires. On my new summer wheels (with OEM Michelins) they put 3rd party programmable TPMS sensors which work fine with the car, and they also cloned them with the original sensors so I don't need to reset the sensors in the car when swapping wheels. Like others have recommended, I too have Hakka R2 tires (on my original 19" wheels) and I find them to be a great winter tire, not noisy to my ears. We do have WRG3-SUV tires year-round on our CR-V which I do also like but hard to compare directly, as the ICE is noisy to begin with, plus tread pattern on the -SUV variant is different from the WRG3 version you'd get in size suitable for the Model S.

@Struja I recently bought some of those center cap stickers for my 3rd party wheels, they do look good and seem to be of good, durable quality. Got mine, grey with white Tesla logo, from: 3dcarstickers.com
the website doesn't list Tesla ones but he can make them for you them if you email a request.
If you need I can post a photo of mine, just ask

ps I had no problems using a 3rd party tire shop for extra set of wheels and tires. On my new summer wheels (with OEM Michelins) they put 3rd party programmable TPMS sensors which work fine with the car, and they also cloned them with the original sensors so I don't need to reset the sensors in the car when swapping wheels. Like others have recommended, I too have Hakka R2 tires (on my original 19" wheels) and I find them to be a great winter tire, not noisy to my ears. We do have WRG3-SUV tires year-round on our CR-V which I do also like but hard to compare directly, as the ICE is noisy to begin with, plus tread pattern on the -SUV variant is different from the WRG3 version you'd get in size suitable for the Model S.

Yes, please post your pics. I plan to get the Replika R187 @SmartElectric put on his (gunmetal). My S is white and has 19" wheels so ideally I'd like to get a gunmetal sticker with a white "T" symbol for the centre cap.

The winter mats are made for Tesla by Weathertech and they make their own version under their own name. You can order them on-line or from Weathertech dealers like Canadian Tire. Oddly, when I got mine, the Tesla-branded ones were actually a bit less expensive even with the shipping from the US... but that was back when the dollar was closer to par. Some Service Centers do have stock, and it would certainly be a good idea to ask.

If ordering from weathertech they says "weathertech" on the mats, right?

To get the ones that say Tesla I have to order directly from Tesla or get them at a SC?