Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry I can't recall if there was a grey as well, but Good thing they are cheap and not priced like centre caps on a Porche.
From left to right I have all 3 Tesla center cap colours:

Grey for grey Arachnids and Turbines.

Black for black Arachnids and Model X Onyx Wheels.

Silver for all the other silver Tesla wheels.

I haven't seen Sonic Carbon wheels in person but I'd assume they would use grey caps.

Attachments

• IMG_6111.JPG
    IMG_6111.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 62
From left to right I have all 3 Tesla center cap colours:

Grey for grey Arachnids and Turbines.

Black for black Arachnids and Model X Onyx Wheels.

Silver for all the other silver Tesla wheels.

I haven't seen Sonic Carbon wheels in person but I'd assume they would use grey caps.

I don't believe the ones I have look anything like any of those. Most similar to the middle ones, but not all one solid colour.

I will attach some pics tomorrow.

I bought the grey for the Replika R187 and they fit and match perfectly.

So, it turns out the my problem is that I am either colour blind or just dumb. I was about to take photos of the centre caps and my wife asked me what I was doing. I explained my dilemma.

She looked puzzled.

She says..."those aren't black, they are grey".:confused::confused::confused:

I moved to my kids... I interrogated both. They agreed with wifey. I was incredulous. I still see black. Pure black. They insist I am 100% colour blind. I still see black.

I will reserve judgment until I get the Replikas.

What about bolts? Do they come with the Rims?

Call tire rack, get complete set of tires, wheels, cheaper, faster, better on rims.

To the States, yes. To Canada, not so much. Once you add exchange, shipping and taxes (not your taxes but they add our taxes at the border) we can often find rims for a whole lot less here by buying solid Canadian brands like Replika for under $200/CAN (about $150 US) per rim...

Replika R187 (Painted/Gunmetal) Wheel | 1010Tires.com Online Wheel and Tire Store

Even adding the tires to them here it's often cheaper than finding something similar at Tire Rack down there, at least when I looked last year.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Sold. I got a couple of PMs just from this post and a forum member came to my office today and bought them.

I think I goofed...

Are there two different "dark" centre caps? I was looking at some of the pics in this thread and it seems the centre caps I got are black, not gun metal. When I ordered them I asked for the "dark" centre caps but I didn't say gun metal specifically.

I've had to but center caps for a bunch of cars and the Tesla centre caps are the best deal :)

The grey caps match the replike 187 wheels reasonable well.

If you had to pick one set, which would it be - just out of curiosity.

I haven’t driven on Hakka’s for a while but I think most would agree they are the best performing winter tire on snow/ice/slush. The Michelin’s aren’t far behind.

I am choosing the Michelin’s simply because most of what I have read says they are quieter and that is the most important factor to me.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Tirerack was far most expensive than ordering directly from KalTire here in Canada.
Plus KalTire will do wheel swaps for free every year included in the cost, an $80/year value.
Kal was able to get Replika 187's for us a few years ago for $188/wheel Canadian $ (about $150 US).

When I ordered, the Canadian dollar was near par and it was actually cheaper for me to get my rims from Tire Rack even including the shipping to my home. I did buy my Nokian Hakka R2's from Kal and had them install them for me.

I was told Kal will only do the seasonal swaps for free if you buy both tires and rims from them (even though I bought not only my winters, but my replacement summer tires from them). I usually do my swap by myself, but did have Kal do it once and they charged me $50. The service is very good, however. I once had a flat caused by a nail, and a Kal Tire out of town took care of me for free.

I go to the Mississauga Kal Tire and they have always swapped my winters/summers for free and I have only bought tires for my Tesla from them. I got Tirerack Rial rims (2 sets), just like you and they know that. I did buy a rim/winter set for my parents there once and my husband has gotten some of his tires/sensors there in the past though. Maybe I've gotten lucky but no one in my family has been charged for seasonal changeovers

Reactions: mknox
I'd like to know too.
I think the answer would be based on the type of conditions that you would typically see during your winter driving as one outperforms the other in certain situations. Another important factor to consider is the percentage of tread wear until the tire loses its great snow tire characteristics. I think the Hakka and Michelin are pretty close, but should be something to ask as well.