Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since im moving to rhode island, need some advice from you snow people.

Anyone running the 19inch set sold by Tesla? Thinking of doing that for simplicity sake.
Being a former New Englander, I'd say in RI snow isn't as big as issue these days, but ice on the roads most certainly is. You get the occasional Nor' easter, but freezing rain is a much more serious problem.

I drove studded when I lived in New Hampshire in the winters, but not sure that's really an option for Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
I need a set of winter tires... If it were up to me; I'd simply get the $3,000 Tesla 20" Slipstream package. My wife however really wants glossy black tires for winter. The 20" Sonic Carbon Tesla Slipstreams with Winter Tires are $5,342.50 after tax though which is pretty steep in my book.
I'm considering the Tsportline 19" TST Gloss Black with Pirellis Link: 19
These would be $3,750 after shipping (no tax) which is an easier pill to swallow

I also like the idea of 19" rims for comfort, perhaps range and cheaper tires in the long run. They are also non-staggered which gives more rotation options. I know tsportline has a good reputation; but should I just pay $1600 more for the Tesla tires? If so; why?

I need a set of winter tires... If it were up to me; I'd simply get the $3,000 Tesla 20" Slipstream package. My wife however really wants glossy black tires for winter. The 20" Sonic Carbon Tesla Slipstreams with Winter Tires are $5,342.50 after tax though which is pretty steep in my book.
I'm considering the Tsportline 19" TST Gloss Black with Pirellis Link: 19
These would be $3,750 after shipping (no tax) which is an easier pill to swallow

I also like the idea of 19" rims for comfort, perhaps range and cheaper tires in the long run. They are also non-staggered which gives more rotation options. I know tsportline has a good reputation; but should I just pay $1600 more for the Tesla tires? If so; why?

I'm going with the 19" winter set from Tesla personally. My SC is going to mount them with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 suv tires for the same price.

I'm going with the 19" winter set from Tesla personally. My SC is going to mount them with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 suv tires for the same price.
Are they providing the tires? Or are you buying the standard rim/tire set from Tesla but bringing your own rubber to swap onto the rims? (Leaving you with the standard tires from the rims that Tesla sells)

Are they providing the tires? Or are you buying the standard rim/tire set from Tesla but bringing your own rubber to swap onto the rims? (Leaving you with the standard tires from the rims that Tesla sells)
From what I understand, they will sell me the Tesla rims with Nokian tires for the price advertise on the Tesla shop for the rims with Pirreli winter tires. Seems to be a special case of my SC. Here in Québec, we have pretty harsh winters. I think that they get that request from a lot of costumers, so they now offer that option.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
Hey Guys, I just went through this exercise.

Being this is our first Model X and first winter coming, I wanted a solid winter wheel/tire package.

I suggest you look at HubCap Heaven. Tesla Model X Wheels Rims Wheel Rim Stock OEM Replacement
I picked up 4- 20" ( 9inch width ) Slip Stream wheels ( OEM) for $145 each, shipping included.

For tires I went with Bridgestone Blizzaks DM-V2s 265-45R20s and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack($1100). Center caps & Lug caps from Tesla( black $80).
This set up runs $1100 Less then the OEM packages from Tesla.- My son works at a shop so Mounting and Balancing are free..:)

I used HH several times in the past for wheels with no issues, Very Happy with them. They carry many types of OEM wheels and all the Tesla wheels and you get a great deal.

I plan on painting the wheels Satin Black for winter, My wife likes the look too. I went with the 9" width all the way around so I can rotate front to back if needed over the seasons. The only thing to keep an eye on is load in the rear. these tires run 2205 lbs Max Load vs 2337lbs in the rear for the Stock 9.5 rim/tire. So manage your towing loads accordingly.

There’s plenty of click types that are quite good. If you want precision, go digital. I use this one.
1/2 in. Drive Digital Torque Adapter

You can put it at the end of any 1/2 ratchet. I use the M18 for quick removal; but I have a manual kobalt, craftsman, etc. I have a lot of them, and it doesn’t matter too much. You’ll need a 21mm socket.

As for lug but cover removers, Tesla sells one. Amazon has them too. They run about $5 and under and doesn’t matter which kind you get.

Another question, should I be worried about tire alignment and balancing if I switch them myself? Is there anything that a SC will do better when switching tires? Especially when doing that twice a year and going from 20”, to 19” then back to 20”?
Thanks.

Another question, should I be worried about tire alignment and balancing if I switch them myself? Is there anything that a SC will do better when switching tires? Especially when doing that twice a year and going from 20”, to 19” then back to 20”?
Thanks.

Alignment, not so much. The two sets are close enough in rolling diameter that there isn’t any concern. I measure mine and both sets are consistent on all the bands for tread depth and wears evenly.

Balancing you’ll have to take care of. But unless you flat spot them (or improper storage) or warp them (pot holes, etc) then you really shouldn’t need to rebalance after the initial tire mounting. The SC also doesn’t check either of these when they do a simple swap. But you can certainly request both especially as a part of regular maintenance.

As for the SC doing better. They’ll be able to calibrate your car for the wheel size. There isn’t a way for us to do that ourselves. This will show on your UI and may or may not have an impact on traction control.

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec
I just installed my 19" winter tires on my newly acquired model X. It was equipped with the Sonic carbon 20" tires. Is there anything that should be done to the software because I went from 20" to 19"?

IMG_2728.jpeg

Reactions: hiroshiy
I just installed my 19" winter tires on my newly acquired model X. It was equipped with the Sonic carbon 20" tires. Is there anything that should be done to the software because I went from 20" to 19"?

View attachment 358347
There was a setting to set the wheel size but now it seems the firmware automatically detects the wheel and tire size, so no, there's nothing you need to do.

• Informative
Another question. I ordered the wheel locks from Tesla. Once I receive them, what is the proper way to install them? Do I need to lift the car again to remove one bolt and install the lock one? Or not?

Thanks!

No need to jack the car up. Just back one out and put the new one on, torque to spec. I personally prefer one that's near the middle of the wheel instead of on the top or bottom.

• Informative