Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This leads to the shopping, that you asked about. I looked at the Tesla winter kit as well. My main problem was the tires, not the best and average from the reviews I could find. Some people also took them off because they did not like them would never buy again, this situation not common but applied.

I liked the idea of stock, you know correct size weight ect... Shopping can get complicated. But the cost of basically throwing away the new tires and putting others on was not worth it to me. I looked elsewhere for other options.

Also liked the idea of using 19" wheels. So I looked around to see what else was available. I was really only interested in stock size, ie same rim size, tire size, offset, and weight ratings as OEM. Not a lot of options. To me this was more important to how they looked.

Here is what I was able to find:

Wheels: 19" Telsa, TWS Sebring, TWS Yas.
20" TST Sportline, TSW Max, BBS SU

There are other options for bigger and fancy but they started to increase the cost greatly, also Nokan does not make 22". Not interested in spending that much.

Tires: Nokian only makes the new Hak 9's in compatible 20" tires sizes, the 19" tires are only available in Hak 8's.

So I had to choose between the 19" with Hak 8 or the 20" with Hak 9. After price comparison, and seeing the difference with the new Hak 9's I decided they were worth the extra cost, of bigger tires (~$100) and rims (~$400). Probably about $500 more. They are quieter and have a better efficiency, with improved stud design.

The most cost efficient choice was the TWS Max (F 20x9 & R 20x10), and Hak 9 (265/45-20 F & 275/45-20 R). Got a quote, installed from Discount Tire, not including the TPMS for $2,534. They are checking if they can get the TPMS. Can get them from Telsa for $108 each if need be.

So in the end I paid around what the Tesla price is, for a better tire setup that is OEM sizing.

After a lot of debate, I decided to go with a separate set of mounted snow tires so that I could do the swap myself every year. I also wanted a 19" set.
I went with TireRack:
19 x 8.5 wheels, Sport WX5
265/50R19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 XL
TPMS valves
Package total was $1875
I was able to save a little on shipping by picking them up at the Denver distribution center. (fitting 4 tires in a 6-seat MX was easier than expected!)
Photo below. Ignore the blue center cover...that is protective plastic. The cover matches the wheel's Titanium Gunmetal color.

IMG_20171220_205754.jpg

Reactions: hiroshiy
So I had to choose between the 19" with Hak 8 or the 20" with Hak 9. After price comparison, and seeing the difference with the new Hak 9's I decided they were worth the extra cost, of bigger tires (~$100) and rims (~$400). Probably about $500 more. They are quieter and have a better efficiency, with improved stud design.
Just made the opposite choice, H8’s on 19’s instead of H9’s on 20’s. Hoping the 9’s will be available the next time I need new winter tires and the wheels will last much longer. The studded H8’s are the step up I need over the Scorpions.

As far as I can tell the 20" are for better looks.
There are some articles on the internet about downsizing wheels for winter to perform better in the snow.

Really? It seems to not make sense at first thought. I would have guessed that the more rubber touching the road.... the better. I'll be interested in hearing more about this winter downsizing stuff before I go out to buy winter tires and rims.

I was told these were the only approved Tesla winter tires that the Service Center would install (and have them on order):

2 x 265/45/20 - Pirelli Scorpion winter tires
·2 x 275/45/20 - Pirelli Scorpion winter tires​
I thought I read that tesla installed Nokians on rims bought from tesla for some one. That was a year or 2 ago so I could be mistaken.

I have Hakka R2 on my SUV and for the forseable future plan to stick with nokian. Though I just drove a model S with Michelin x-ice3, and they performed very well on snow, slush and ice.

I had winter tires on my Model S every season. Didn’t test it without but I wondered if it was truly necessary. And it really is for bad conditions. My S with winter tires performs better in bad conditions than my X with all seasons. The recovery from slips is consistently quicker with winter tires. The winter tires are less likely to slip. Quick Acceleration is also better on winters. I am getting Nokian Hakka 8’s installed. I believe the X will end up slightly better with both on winter tires.

Something to note is that straight winter tires don’t perform well in dry winter conditions. You can see this in winter vs all season tire testing. A better rounded option would be performance winter tires- that have better dry winter performance but not quite as good snow/ice performance. I have no idea what winter performance tires are compatible. I’m just going to drive accordingly and keep good distance from other cars in dry and inclement winter conditions.

I thought I read that tesla installed Nokians on rims bought from tesla for some one. That was a year or 2 ago so I could be mistaken.

I have Hakka R2 on my SUV and for the forseable future plan to stick with nokian. Though I just drove a model S with Michelin x-ice3, and they performed very well on snow, slush and ice.
Some SC will sell you Nokian tires on Tesla rims. I only know one so far, but I assume others exist.

After a lot of debate, I decided to go with a separate set of mounted snow tires so that I could do the swap myself every year. I also wanted a 19" set.
I went with TireRack:
19 x 8.5 wheels, Sport WX5
265/50R19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 XL
TPMS valves
Package total was $1875
I was able to save a little on shipping by picking them up at the Denver distribution center. (fitting 4 tires in a 6-seat MX was easier than expected!)
Photo below. Ignore the blue center cover...that is protective plastic. The cover matches the wheel's Titanium Gunmetal color.

View attachment 267871
What is your tire pressure for your set? I have experience similar configuration (Tesla Cyclone 19" rims with Bridgestone DM-V2) and not sure about how much I should inflate.

What is your tire pressure for your set? I have experience similar configuration (Tesla Cyclone 19" rims with Bridgestone DM-V2) and not sure about how much I should inflate.
TireRack recommends using the inflation settings specified by the manufacturer. These are the placard settings on the front door pillar. Even though the placard is for 20" tires, I'm using those numbers.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I did stock 20s with 265 front and 275 back
Other than it's the best winter tire, i cant add more
Great whm and amazing winter performance
hi - i was told that the nokian
Just put Nokian Hakkas R2 on my stock 20s
Waiting for mother nature challenges...
:)
today i tried to order the Nokian Hakkapellita R2 and i was told that they don't come in the 265 (front) but are available in the 275 . is that true? (20 inch staggered for the x)

I went with the 20" staggered ( 265/275 ) Nokian WR G3 SUV tires. Deep tread pattern and a bit noisier than the 22" summers. We'll see how they perform in the snow.

I also went with the 20" staggered ( 265/275 ) Nokian WR G3 SUV tires on my P90D.

How did you like them? How have they been wearing?

I have a need to tow coming up that I need my 20's for. The OEM conti's are done and I've been running on my 22's. I was planning on moving to snows on the 20's this winter; but its a bit too early and warm to do so. Blizzak's DM-V2 would have probably been my choice; but if I put them on now and tow with it, they might only last 1 season. So I'm thinking about the WR G3's as a compromise for now.

How did you like them? How have they been wearing?

I have a need to tow coming up that I need my 20's for. The OEM conti's are done and I've been running on my 22's. I was planning on moving to snows on the 20's this winter; but its a bit too early and warm to do so. Blizzak's DM-V2 would have probably been my choice; but if I put them on now and tow with it, they might only last 1 season. So I'm thinking about the WR G3's as a compromise for now.
Tires have been great for winter driving. The amount of wear appears normal but I don't tow a trailer and no hard acceleration or braking

i really dont like the look of non-OEM wheels so ill probably have to suck it up and get the tesla 19" winter tire set on the online store.

Look into the the TSportline 20” turbine look wheels. They look like stock wheels and are rated for the weight of the X. I’m using Pirelli winter tires on one set and stock Continentals on another set of TSportlines.

Attachments

• 565013EE-5F7A-4C53-9160-B6087766C7C5.jpeg
    565013EE-5F7A-4C53-9160-B6087766C7C5.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 255C0AF0-996B-4D9B-A72D-7C71BC77152F.jpeg
    255C0AF0-996B-4D9B-A72D-7C71BC77152F.jpeg
    601.2 KB · Views: 102