Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a lot of debate, I decided to go with a separate set of mounted snow tires so that I could do the swap myself every year. I also wanted a 19" set.
I went with TireRack:
19 x 8.5 wheels, Sport WX5
265/50R19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 XL
TPMS valves
Package total was $1875
I was able to save a little on shipping by picking them up at the Denver distribution center. (fitting 4 tires in a 6-seat MX was easier than expected!)
Photo below. Ignore the blue center cover...that is protective plastic. The cover matches the wheel's Titanium Gunmetal color.

View attachment 267871

How was your winter tire performance last winter? I am looking at getting a set for my X too but the Sport WX5 has only 28mm offset comparing to 35mm offset of Tesla Cyclone wheels.

How was your winter tire performance last winter? I am looking at getting a set for my X too but the Sport WX5 has only 28mm offset comparing to 35mm offset of Tesla Cyclone wheels.
The performance in snow was excellent.
The tradeoff is that on dry roads, in moderate temperatures, I was losing about 12 to 15 percent efficiency as compared to the stock Continental 20" tires. But for winter dtives into the mountains, I was glad I had the Blizzaks

Reactions: FarmerDave
When I build out a tire and wheel set on Tirerack it says that the site says that they don not have TPMS modules.

I see that folks on this thread bought from Tirerack. How did you handle this?
That's odd. I ordered TPMS with my Blizzak + rim order from TireRack and they worked perfectly.
You can call them...they have great, and helpful customer service and you can place the order over the phone at yth same price.

From your experience, is it ok to just buy the winter tires and switch them on the same set of rims each season? That is how I usually proceed so I don’t have to buy a second set of rims. Are Tesla tires special in that matter? More complicated to switch? Etc.?

Thanks

From your experience, is it ok to just buy the winter tires and switch them on the same set of rims each season? That is how I usually proceed so I don’t have to buy a second set of rims. Are Tesla tires special in that matter? More complicated to switch? Etc.?

Thanks
It is usually not recommended to remove tires from the wheels, as it could damage tire sidewalls and wheel rims. But changing just the tires can be done to save money.

Re TPMS if your installer doesn't carry Tesla compatible ones, you can buy them from Tesla service centers.

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec

Thanks
A number of folks do this. You will, of course, need two different size tires for the front and rear.
My rationale for buying mounted tires is that I can swap them myself. And by going with 19" winter tires, they are all one size and can be rotated for better life.

That's odd. I ordered TPMS with my Blizzak + rim order from TireRack and they worked perfectly.
You can call them...they have great, and helpful customer service and you can place the order over the phone at yth same price.

I went and messed around with the tirerack website some more and it looks like if you select a 2018 Model X (all tire sizes) Tirerack doesn't have a match for a TPMS but a 2017 Model X will show a match.

I wonder if there is actually a difference between the two years?

When I build out a tire and wheel set on Tirerack it says that the site says that they don not have TPMS modules.

I see that folks on this thread bought from Tirerack. How did you handle this?

I bought rims and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack a few years back and had a local tire shop mount my rubber. The sensors worked perfectly... in fact a lot better than the stock Tesla ones. They would initialize almost immediately when I swapped them on whereas the Tesla ones would take forever, and usually fail 2 or 3 times before eventually registering. Tesla had to replace two of the stock sensors over time for failures, whereas the Tire Rack ones worked flawlessly.

Tires have been great for winter driving. The amount of wear appears normal but I don't tow a trailer and no hard acceleration or braking

I pulled the trigger on it. Got them from simpletire, mounted & road force balanced locally. Total cost was $900, not bad at all. One thing I did notice though is that the tires are pretty inconsistent. Two of them have about 1-1.5lbs of weights, one has 3.75lbs and the last has over 6lbs in weights to get it balanced. I’ve never seen such an out of balance tire before. Luckily as a winter/snow set; the weight is actually preferred.

So in the heat of middle summer, you guys are already talking about winter this year??

I saw 45F in the morning last week, so yea.

A number of folks do this. You will, of course, need two different size tires for the front and rear.
My rationale for buying mounted tires is that I can swap them myself. And by going with 19" winter tires, they are all one size and can be rotated for better life.

Thanks!
What would be the best jack and wrench for my X? Any suggestion?

Is it weird that I’m all excited about changing tires on a car? I have never been a car person :D

Thanks!
What would be the best jack and wrench for my X? Any suggestion?

Is it weird that I’m all excited about changing tires on a car? I have never been a car person :D
I use a 3-ton Pittsburgh floor jack from Harbor Freight (model 61253).
I also built a jack pad that fits the model X hole pattern using plans that someone posted on this forum. You may have to search for that thread...I don't think I bookmarked it.

• Informative
I use a 3-ton Pittsburgh floor jack from Harbor Freight (model 61253).
I also built a jack pad that fits the model X hole pattern using plans that someone posted on this forum. You may have to search for that thread...I don't think I bookmarked it.

Thanks. I’ll look the jack up. For the adapter I already bought this one: Vendor - Tesla Model X tire service jack pad adapter

Then I’ll need a good wrench with a torque adapter.

Thanks. I’ll look the jack up. For the adapter I already bought this one: Vendor - Tesla Model X tire service jack pad adapter

Then I’ll need a good wrench with a torque adapter.

There’s plenty of click types that are quite good. If you want precision, go digital. I use this one.
1/2 in. Drive Digital Torque Adapter

You can put it at the end of any 1/2 ratchet. I use the M18 for quick removal; but I have a manual kobalt, craftsman, etc. I have a lot of them, and it doesn’t matter too much. You’ll need a 21mm socket.

As for lug but cover removers, Tesla sells one. Amazon has them too. They run about $5 and under and doesn’t matter which kind you get.

• Informative