Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
patp, I think Jeeps and I would like to take you up on your offer. Both of us are on the fence about the studded Nokians and would appreciate any feedback your friend could provide about riding on them in his S in Montreal.

Clea and Zax,

Here is what PatP got as response from his friend:

'Voici sa réponse:

I would not take nokians any other way - i had them before on a subaru sti and it was magic... on the model s, it allows it to go uphill on the ice... (traction control off)
'.

I asked him if he could follow-up regarding noise, traction on wet / dry, etc...

Worst case I will also punt the decision to next winter (depending on when I get my car).

Count me in to knowing what your friend thinks of the studdied Nokians. :)

I'm honestly thinking that I won't put winter tires on my car this year though. If I get it around March 16th, I think I'd rather wait for another year to go by and see what the options are then. But we'll see!

I was thinking the same thing but was considering putting my line in the sand (or snow would be more appropriate) closer to march 7th.

I was thinking the same thing but was considering putting my line in the sand (or snow would be more appropriate) closer to march 7th.

I have a distinct advantage of being on vacation in Florida from the 6th to 13th, so I won't be dying to get the S before then. :p That's why I drew my "line in the snow" at the 16th. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Clea and Zax,

Here is what PatP got as response from his friend:

'Voici sa réponse:

I would not take nokians any other way - i had them before on a subaru sti and it was magic... on the model s, it allows it to go uphill on the ice... (traction control off)
'.

I asked him if he could follow-up regarding noise, traction on wet / dry, etc...

Worst case I will also punt the decision to next winter (depending on when I get my car).

Somewhat convincing to go with studdied Nokian huh?

I'm starting to think that at $2800, the deal isn't so bad, if you figure: $1000 for rims, $1200 for tires and $600 for TPMS...

Somewhat convincing to go with studdied Nokian huh?

I'm starting to think that at $2800, the deal isn't so bad, if you figure: $1000 for rims, $1200 for tires and $600 for TPMS...

Yes, and no...

PatP took off the studs (by hand) from his A3 due to the noise and altered dry handling, but he was very satisfied on how they performed in the snow.

Argh!

PS: Have a great vacation Zax123 :cool:

So when do you guys take your winter wheels/tires off? I usually make the switch in mid-March. But I am in Southern Ontario and in the past have been switching from Winter->All Season Tires.

When would you guys switch to Summer Tires? I've heard the 7C number thrown around before, but do you wait until the highs are consistently breaking 7C, or until the lows are dipping above 7C?

I just ordered a set of wheels Friday, but they won't be ready for 6 weeks so I'm not in too much of a rush for it to warm up. :)

Depends on your summer tires. My car has Continental Extreme Contact DW, but some are reporting that they are getting Michelin Pilot Super Sports instead.

I had MPSS on my last car. They are fantastic summer tires, in wet or dry conditions, but they are bordering on terrifying on snow/ice. If you have those I'd wait until you're pretty sure winter is done!

I don't have any experience with the Continentals.

Mine aren't Super Sports, I think they're the PS2's although I don't see PS2 written anywhere. It just says Pilot Sport on the tire FWIW.

Depends on your summer tires. My car has Continental Extreme Contact DW, but some are reporting that they are getting Michelin Pilot Super Sports instead.

I had MPSS on my last car. They are fantastic summer tires, in wet or dry conditions, but they are bordering on terrifying on snow/ice. If you have those I'd wait until you're pretty sure winter is done!

I don't have any experience with the Continentals.

Ok.. well I really thought I'd be relatively clear of winter here in Ottawa for my pick up in Laval this Friday. The temperatures over the past couple weeks have hovered around 8 - 10C!

Of course, now that pick up is looming, we get 5cm here last week, and it's calling for 15-20cm on Tuesday!!! Arg. I may just bite the bullet and pick up winters for the few weeks that I need them.

My question for those that have picked up winters recently: How has your experience been with your winters thus far. I really like the Enkei Raijin rims with whatever tires would perform/behave the best in Ottawa. I'll have to call around to see if any tire places typically carry those rims in stock. What's the info that I need for the rims? (I know nothing of tires and meaning) Is 19x8.5+38 offset is really all I need to know when calling around? The tire info is a simple: 245/45R19?

Being in Ottawa and having the SS in Laval isn't the easiest either. I'll touch base with Alex to see how much lead time he needs with the tires to install them before my pickup. Thoughts?

I'll touch base with Alex to see how much lead time he needs with the tires to install them before my pickup. Thoughts?

My impression is that they don't need a lot of time. My car arrived in Toronto on Monday March 4th and they called me the next day to come and pick it up. They asked me if I wanted a winter tire set, and said they could have that for me when I picked up. I declined and will wait until next year because I ordered the 19" with All-Seasons anyway and they'll do fine for whatever winter is left in the GTA.

I got my Enkei's from Tirerack fwiw. Not sure if anyone would carry them locally or not.

Ok.. well I really thought I'd be relatively clear of winter here in Ottawa for my pick up in Laval this Friday. The temperatures over the past couple weeks have hovered around 8 - 10C!

Of course, now that pick up is looming, we get 5cm here last week, and it's calling for 15-20cm on Tuesday!!! Arg. I may just bite the bullet and pick up winters for the few weeks that I need them.

My question for those that have picked up winters recently: How has your experience been with your winters thus far. I really like the Enkei Raijin rims with whatever tires would perform/behave the best in Ottawa. I'll have to call around to see if any tire places typically carry those rims in stock. What's the info that I need for the rims? (I know nothing of tires and meaning) Is 19x8.5+38 offset is really all I need to know when calling around? The tire info is a simple: 245/45R19?

Being in Ottawa and having the SS in Laval isn't the easiest either. I'll touch base with Alex to see how much lead time he needs with the tires to install them before my pickup. Thoughts?

FWIW Accuweather is saying 5 cm Monday and 5 cm Tuesday. I've found them to be more accurate - on average - than Environment Canada.

For the rims you need the diameter, width, offset, and bolt pattern. 19x8.5+30 gives diameter, width, and offset... you still need the bolt pattern. According to Wheel Bolt Pattern? the bolt pattern is 5x120.

All you should need for the tire is 245/45R19. Usually the load and speed rating will be okay for any standard tire you will encounter, but you might want to check that too. According to "ms_safety_information.pdf" the speed and load ratings for the 19" tires are 98V. (The summers are P245/35R21 96Y so evidently 96 load rating is okay too).

I'll touch base with Alex to see how much lead time he needs with the tires to install them before my pickup. Thoughts?

The "standard" Pirelli winter tires offered by Tesla are "winter sport" tires. They're fine with modest snowfall, and really good on the dry days, but for heavy snowfall conditions they are decidedly so-so. I'll probably keep mine until they wear out, then switch to something better.

Lots of people have recommended the Nokian Hakkas, but I believe they are in very short (zero?) supply this late in the season.

I'll probably keep mine until they wear out, then switch to something better.

I've decided to go this route. After some quick calls to check stock around town, I just emailed Alex and asked him to have the Pirellis ready to rock when I pick up friday. Seems like trying to find winters at the end of winter isn't the easy/best process.

Seems like Accuweather is now calling for 15-25 through to wed evening. Sigh.

I've decided to go this route. After some quick calls to check stock around town, I just emailed Alex and asked him to have the Pirellis ready to rock when I pick up friday. Seems like trying to find winters at the end of winter isn't the easy/best process.

Seems like Accuweather is now calling for 15-25 through to wed evening. Sigh.

Yep. Enough with this winter already! :cursing:

Laval to Ottawa isn't anywhere near the range of the Model S, so no worries about making it home even in the worst conditions. Just take 'er easy!