Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires

Which tires to get?

• FIRESTONE WINTERFORCE 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
So I was thinking of winter tires - I'm guessing I will need them though winter has been getting shorter each year around here. Last year it didn't really snow until March though it often got cold.

Tesla sells winter tires w/ aero wheels for $2,000 and w/ sport wheels for $3,000. Sounds like a bad deal for rims that are nice, but not the best - unless something special about the tire/wheel combo. Plus it is installed by Tesla service centers which is a big negative.

Town Fair tire offers the following options (below). They price the "Firestone Winterforce 2" as their baseline, and offer a few upgrades up to $270. Max combo (listed) is $1,600 - that only saves $400 off the Tesla wheels and tires, but looks nicer. All wheels/tires 18". I have the 19" sport wheels (SR+).

Any thoughts on which tires are better (and worth the price upgrade), which rims look better?

Tires:
-- FIRESTONE WINTERFORCE 2 (+$0)
-- CONTINENTAL VIKING CONTACT 7 (+$100)
-- BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS-90 (+$220)
-- MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 (+$270)

Wheels (4 screenshots labeled 4, 3, 2, 1)

View media item 120371
View media item 120370
View media item 120369
View media item 120368

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 4.01.27 PM.png

unless something special about the tire/wheel combo
Nothing special, besides the aero design. And the Pirellis aren't proper winter tires, but a 'performance winter' type, just a notch above all-seasons.

Instead of those random wheels I'd order the new EV01(+) that our friends up north just started selling. You'd get similar-to-OEM-18s efficiency benefits, for a very reasonable price.

With how the battery pack/ motor are set up, wondering if mine can go with just the stock all seasons for mid-Atlantic winters

No different than any other car on all seasons, but the low center of gravity and even weight distribution do make it more stable. I did stock in MN last winter. Most likely getting winter tires this year as tires are the main thing that help with stopping and cornering on ice/snow.

Nothing special, besides the aero design. And the Pirellis aren't proper winter tires, but a 'performance winter' type, just a notch above all-seasons.

Instead of those random wheels I'd order the new EV01(+) that our friends up north just started selling. You'd get similar-to-OEM-18s efficiency benefits, for a very reasonable price.

"These tires were originally developed for winter driving on European highways where high-speed driving on clear roads must be combined with traction on snow-covered roads. These tires are available in many of the low sidewall profile, large wheel diameter sizes used on sporty coupes and luxury sedans, as well as several crossover and sport utility vehicles." (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/perfCat.jsp?perf=PPW)

Do you think that this is a reasonable statement, or just them selling "notch above all season" that people don't need? Not being sarcastic - that sounds exactly like what might be needed in some climates, but it is hard to tell since the weather changes a lot.

Last edited:
"These tires were originally developed for winter driving on European highways where high-speed driving on clear roads must be combined with traction on snow-covered roads. These tires are available in many of the low sidewall profile, large wheel diameter sizes used on sporty coupes and luxury sedans, as well as several crossover and sport utility vehicles." (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/perfCat.jsp?perf=PPW)

Do you think that this is a reasonable statement, or just them selling "notch above all season" that people don't need? Not being sarcastic - that sounds exactly like what might be needed in some climates, but it is hard to tell since the weather changes a lot.
Have you lived through a Euro winter? It's pretty mild. I'd compare it to typical winter in DC rather than CT.
It's been 10 years since this link was new, but there's been nothing as useful since. Check out the MXM4 vs PA3 vs Xi2. The current relative situation is likely similar. I rarely see a reason go with 'performance winter' tires when one already has a decent all-season set like MXMs. That said, if you do not own any all-seasons, and don't mind owning three sets (crazy like me that is), owning a summer+performance winter+full winter makes some sense.

Have you lived through a Euro winter? It's pretty mild. I'd compare it to typical winter in DC rather than CT.
It's been 10 years since this link was new, but there's been nothing as useful since. Check out the MXM4 vs PA3 vs Xi2. The current relative situation is likely similar. I rarely see a reason go with 'performance winter' tires when one already has a decent all-season set like MXMs. That said, if you do not own any all-seasons, and don't mind owning three sets (crazy like me that is), owning a summer+performance winter+full winter makes some sense.
Ill fully agree with this. The Pirelli’s with the Tesla set is not a true winter tire. Personally I would run them if I lived somwhere like Bay Area N CA, Seattle, or Portland and drove into the mountains from time to time through out the winter. I’m in Alaska and no way I would run them up here or anywhere else that gets a proper winter.

Ill fully agree with this. The Pirelli’s with the Tesla set is not a true winter tire. Personally I would run them if I lived somwhere like Bay Area N CA, Seattle, or Portland and drove into the mountains from time to time through out the winter. I’m in Alaska and no way I would run them up here or anywhere else that gets a proper winter.
I live in Maine and am a new Model3 owner. I have always owned front wheel drive cars and always put on 4 snow tires. Question: If I get snow tires can I just have a regular shop put on the tires like I always have or are there special considerations with the Tesla?

thaniks
S

I live in Maine and am a new Model3 owner. I have always owned front wheel drive cars and always put on 4 snow tires. Question: If I get snow tires can I just have a regular shop put on the tires like I always have or are there special considerations with the Tesla?

thaniks
S
Get, or make yourself a set of pucks just in case the shop you take it to, doesn't have a set. The pucks are for the jacks so that the battery pack doesn't get damaged. Check your alignment if there's any unusual tire wear. My tires were toeing too much. Be sure to re-torque your tires after you drive a little. The spec is for 129 ft-lbs. Can't think of anything else. I'm going to put on my snow tires later as well.

thaniks
S
There is nothing special about lifting/jacking a Tesla. I mounted my own tires at the auto hobby shop on base. I’ve had it on a frame lift twice for tire change over and just used a floor jack yesterday to switcj from summer to winter tires. Hockey pucks on the lift points and all is good.

There is nothing special about lifting/jacking a Tesla. I mounted my own tires at the auto hobby shop on base. I’ve had it on a frame lift twice for tire change over and just used a floor jack yesterday to switcj from summer to winter tires. Hockey pucks on the lift points and all is good.

stupid question but do you mean actual hockey pucks or specific pucks required for a tesla? I am getting my tires put on in a few weeks by a local shop. I assume they would have what they need or should I ask to make sure?

stupid question but do you mean actual hockey pucks or specific pucks required for a tesla? I am getting my tires put on in a few weeks by a local shop. I assume they would have what they need or should I ask to make sure?
actual hockey pucks, using them has been common practice for years lifting unibody vehicles. I have a special modded set I cut a groove in for lifting my moms subaru.
Regular puck for Tesla, grooves for subaru
image.jpg

I used practice pucks I purchased at Dicks, and drilled a hole in each, and glued a piece of ¾" PEX as a nub to hold the puck in the proper place at the jack points. Of course you can spend a little more and buy some from Amazon or eBay.

What's the consensus, is it overall a better value to just get completely separate rims/tire set for summer and winter, or just switch out tires on the stock rims every year? Taking into account tire balancing, etc.?
In think it is much easier to have 2 full sets of rims+tires+TPMS that way you can swap them yourself easily. If you are not the type of person that would do a self swap then the ROI is 5-10 years depending on how much it costs for a re mount and how much you spend on the extra set up.