Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
My gosh, they look great. Borbet BLX 18 inch with the correct bolt circle, centre recess, offset and width. Kleber Krisalp HP3 in the standard size - and one of the quietest around.

Fitting aborted due to lug nut thread engagement issues. The taper on the Tesla nuts does not allow full depth engagement with the Borbet wheels. Whereas the Tesla nuts on Tesla wheels fully engage and the lug actually protrudes, on the Borbet wheels you can actually see non-engaged threads. The tyres and wheels remain at Just Tyres until I sort out some lug nuts.

I've attempted to attach pix but the forum keeps rejecting my jpgs

The thread pitch is 14mm x 1.5mm (by 21mm) How can the taper be spec'd?

Need 20 new nuts! Suggested sources? Borbet in the past has not provided much in the way of info.

Sounds like the new Borbet wheels are thicker than the Tesla wheels where they sit against the hub and that the studs don't protrude as far. In which case, it is new, longer, studs that you need rather than shorter nuts. If you were to source shorter nuts, they would not hold any better than the Tesla ones that you say have threads visible inside because of their length. Doesn't sound acceptable either way.

The taper should match the angle of the countersink on the wheel, otherwise you would get contact only at a small circle - and that would be bad. Suitable tapered washers might exist - but it is odd that the wheel supplier is not being helpful.

PXL_20201128_144502567.MP.jpg
The taper should match the angle of the countersink on the wheel, otherwise you would get contact only at a small circle - and that would be bad. Suitable tapered washers might exist - but it is odd that the wheel supplier is not being helpful.

The Germans were channeling Sgt Schmidt from Hogan's Heroes ;)

I called a UK Borbet distributor and they referred me to an outfit called Rtech in St Albans.

They charged me £25 to suss it and £39 for 20 chrome nuts.

I had to hold their hands to get the car into the shop, get them to use a puck and get the car out of the shop again.

They left the puck in place and gave me 19 X 21mm nuts and one 19mm nut :p

I hope their Porsche and Bimmer owner customers are happy with their go-faster bits. This Tesla owner left with mixed feelings ;)

Sounds like the new Borbet wheels are thicker than the Tesla wheels where they sit against the hub and that the studs don't protrude as far. In which case, it is new, longer, studs that you need rather than shorter nuts. If you were to source shorter nuts, they would not hold any better than the Tesla ones that you say have threads visible inside because of their length. Doesn't sound acceptable either way.
I was always curious about studded winter tires. I have found that good winters do the trick and there is no annoying popcorn popping sound on dry pavement.