Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tyres on the performance model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the local SC for a set of 18” wheels with winter tyres as a spare set. Wanted the same Tesla wheels to avoid the ‘modification’ hassle with insurers. Tesla gave a prompt reply :) advising they were not available to order in the UK yet :-(

I thought it still counted as a modification if it didn’t arrive like that originally even when purchasing from the manufacturer additional official wheel sets.

Would be good to have clarification on this subject but probably varies from insurer anyway.

I asked the local SC for a set of 18” wheels with winter tyres as a spare set. Wanted the same Tesla wheels to avoid the ‘modification’ hassle with insurers. Tesla gave a prompt reply :) advising they were not available to order in the UK yet :-(
If you have current performance/PUP with 20" wheels then the Tesla 18" wheels do not fit.

If you currently have 18" Aero wheels, then getting a second set with winter tyres will vary from insurer to insurer but by looks of it (I posted a link yesterday to ABI on the subject), most will be OK with it even without notifying. But you do need to check.

Reactions: Rooster6655
If you have current performance/PUP with 20" wheels then the Tesla 18" wheels do not fit.

If you currently have 18" Aero wheels, then getting a second set with winter tyres will vary from insurer to insurer but by looks of it (I posted a link yesterday to ABI on the subject), most will be OK with it even without notifying. But you do need to check.

If I had 18 wheels and had a second set the same I would not be worrying about the insurance as it’s the same as was originally installed. What might matter is if it is different to what was originally installed.

Sorry mine’s SR+ not P. I know my post was stretching the title. Saw the ABI link (Thanks!). I’ll check with the insurer.

If you already have 18s and are buying a second set of the same wheels then it’s not modified. It’s like if you cracked a wheel and replaced it with the same one, you don’t need to tell them you replaced something with the same like for like

Yes, different rim type would be a insurance company call as it is a modification, but the comment was "Wanted the same Tesla wheels " which to me reads rim like for like except for the tyres, which is what the ABI document summarises and generally implies for most insurance companies, non premium change nor need to notify - but it is insurer specific so one must not assume.

Yes, different rim type would be a insurance company call as it is a modification, but the comment was "Wanted the same Tesla wheels " which to me reads rim like for like except for the tyres, which is what the ABI document summarises and generally implies for most insurance companies, non premium change nor need to notify - but it is insurer specific so one must not assume.

Interesting never thought people would bother phoning an insurance company if they changed their tyres from the standard to winter.

On my current ICE car I have summer wheels/tyres and a seperate set of winter wheels/tyres. I told my insurers (Direct Line), but they admitted they did not mind as this is not classified as a modification according to them anymore.