Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tyres on the performance model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
I hear that the performance is coming with the Michelin PS3S in the UK and was wondering what people’s plans were for the winter with these tyres?

If I get the performance I will be considering just the winter tyres rather than with wheels even though I didn’t want to spend more so soon.

I think the P+ comes with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rather than 3S (think p- use Pilot Sport 4). Either way the 3/4S is a summer performance tyre that isn’t going to be great in winter. In fact Michelin don’t recommend driving if the temperature is too cold with the following warning for the 4S on their US website:

“Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.”

Depending on where in the UK you are and how cold it gets, it could be worth considering winter tyres. Having had winter tyres on last few cars, I will be doing the same. In terms of which ones to go for a lot depends on what tyres Tesla supply in UK for their winter wheels but may end up going down the route of getting wheels from Tesla and tyres elsewhere as will probably go for continental TS860 (have TS850 and they are very good). Of course you could go down just swapping the tyres route but from personal experience having the wheels is more convenient assuming you’ve got somewhere to store them and can afford the extra cost.

On a more general point for anyone who is unsure about the benefits of winter tyres I can give two personal experiences. The first was driving to work when it was very icy. Going round a bend I hit sheet ice and slid a bit before recovering the slide and carrying on to work. About twenty minutes later they closed the road after two crashes on that icy section (thankfully no one was seriously injured). The other time was when it snowed while in work. Driving the home was a bit slippy but manageable even though I was driving an AMG at the time. I didn’t realise how slippy it was until I stepped out of my car and promptly slipped and landed on my rear!

If I get the performance I will be considering just the winter tyres rather than with wheels even though I didn’t want to spend more so soon.

There is very little choice of winter rubber in the 20" size. Better to spend a little more and get an 18" wheel set (obviously one that fits), then you get plenty of choice of tyres and at a lower price, so what you save on tyres will offset the cost of the additional rims.

The PS3S/4S are not even all that good in the wet at normal temperatures. I will replace them with the normal PS4 when they wear out, which is a better all-round performance summer road tyre. I would still go with a winter set regardless.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Seconded, for those Facebook Dodgers like me....

No, the guy organising them (Gavin Wallace) is doing it non-profit via facebook direct messages, hence the price. A number of people have got theirs already and are happy with them. The 18" wheels also fit on a P3+

60049349_10156204756983062_8400646243574874112_n.jpg

For those interested in my jacking setup, it consists of

- Halfords 2 ton low profile trolley jack
- Halfords 2 ton trolley jack pad (from ebay)
- Carrfan Jack Lift Point Pad Adapter

I removed the saddle and replaced it with the jack pad from ebay and then attached the carrfan jack adapter to the model3, so its rubber on rubber

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14656.jpg

My 18" rims arrived this morning, all nicely boxed up. I removed my 20's and fitted them to see fit. For those wondering they fit well with the performance callipers.

I have purchased the TPMS sensors here

Tesla Model 3 2017+ Replacement TPMS Sensor

and am going to be fitting the Michelin Crossclimate+

View attachment 443760 View attachment 443761

Very inspirational, tempted to order the P+ if the insurance cost for adding these wheels is reasonable especially if they only cost £680. Is it still possible to get these for £680?