Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels/tires packages for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that too.
Knowing that they are charging $3500 for the upgrade from 19" all-seasons to 21" performance and that the 21" performance extra set is $5200, that would put the 19" all-season set at ~$1700 (not bad at all if they DO offer it).

Since tirerack has the OEM 19" RS-A2's on sale for 153, all the numbers seem to line up very well, and seem very fair to me.

Peter

I am getting the 21" performance tires and a second set of 19" wheels for winter (live outside Philly, Pa). I called Tirerack to order 4 of the OEM Goodyears for the 19" wheels since they are on sale for $153. The rep I talked to talked me out of them. He said they are on sale because Goodyear gave them a deal to buy up a bunch and get rid of them. He said if I want the best combination of ride/comfort and grip in rain/snow then he would recommend the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Ultra High Performance) 245/45ZR19. He said they ride like a dream and are MUCH better in snow than the Goodyears. He is definitely NOT a fan of the Goodyears.The Contis have a wear rating of 540 A A and are rated 98Y. Their price is $211 each. Not bad, so I've decided to hold off and get these tires for my 19" winter wheels. Actually, I'll probably be driving these tires about 8 months each year and using the 21" summer Contis around 4 months each year.

Are people considering prioritizing run flat tires since there is no spare? Any recommendations for a winter run flat?

No:

1. Run-flat tires have very high rolling resistance so range will go down (probably a lot).

2. With run-flat tires you never really know when you have a flat so what might be repairable in a normal tire means purchasing a new run-flat tire.

3. Run-flat tires are expensive.

The only places where run-flat tires are useful are military applications (where people are shooting at the tires) and fork-lift tires in a nail factory (or similar type usage).

Tesla is selling wheels separately for a very reasonable price so just buy one and you'll have a spare.

I plan to buy Nokian hakkaR stud less tires which are better for snow though not as good for ice as the studded or as performance as the Perelli sottozero. They have low rolling resistance and use cannolla oil instead of other noxious substances.

What I am struggling with is whether to get the 19 inch wheel from Tesla or an expensive turbine aftermarket. Any suggestions?

I'd like a set of 20" Turbine wheels. At 20" you have gobs of choices in all categories and price ranges. At 21" you have 1 or 2 super high priced summer only tires.

If anyone finds a set of 20's styled like the 21's that will fit the S please post!

Found this chart at Tirerack.com
I'm going with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position for my extra set of 19" wheels for winter driving.
Consumer Survey Results By Category
Sidenote: I wish they had duration/wear in their survey in some form as well.

For your consideration...

Observe the "Total Reported Miles" column. My interpretation of that column is that they have the 2nd least amount of data from a mileage perspective -- and more than an order of magnitude less than for the top 2-3 in that column.

Weighing that in mind, I consider the "2+ million mile club" to have more valuable survey results. Given that, the similar numbers in the other columns, and the price difference, I would probably lean toward the Continentals. The Michelins yellow boxes in the important-for-me-when-considering-all-seasons columns of "WINTER/SNOW" disqualifies it.

So I guess my process of elimination is this:
1. If you have a yellow in WET or WINTER/SNOW, you're disqualified. (Remove Michelin, Yokohama x2, Goodyear)
2. Sort decreasing by Total Miles Reported and remove where there's a significant drop in miles. (Remove Bridgestone and General - nearly order of magnitude gap between 691,389 and 6,033,192)
3. Compare what's left: Continental > Pirelli, except for price and DRY columns
4. Conclude: When buying an all-season tire for ugly conditions (non-DRY) and $214 vs. $151 isn't a deal-breaker on price, easily go with Continental.

That's my read of the consumer survey. There are other inputs to the decision, but that's how I process this input.

What I didn't mention in my earlier post was that the Tirerack rep I spoke to was an emphatic believer in the Bridgestone Potenza Poles. He said that he personally uses them on his car and some of the other reps do as well.
He said he's also used the Conti's and in his opinion the Bridgestones are far superior. Just an fyi.

I'd like a set of 20" Turbine wheels. At 20" you have gobs of choices in all categories and price ranges. At 21" you have 1 or 2 super high priced summer only tires.

If anyone finds a set of 20's styled like the 21's that will fit the S please post!

Me too on the 20" wheels. I would like the slight increase in tire size, as I suspect the 21" configuration may be a little too damage prone for me. If roads were not so horrible in places, then I wouldn't worry about it.

These were discussed in another thread a while back, but the wheel pattern was thought to be Mercedes compatible at the time, i.e 5x112.

I am expecting delivery in dec-jan, in Canada, so it should be delivered on winter tires.
Hopefully, I will be able to get JUST the 19"+Winter Pirellis set, and buy another set of 20" and summer tires later on...

Will I pay for just the difference between the summer and winter set (something like 700$, as inferred from above calculations/assumptions)

Will it be another case of " no refund for the wheels" case ?

Got an email today from Tesla listing new tire and wheel packages for purchase. Here's a quote:

Tesla Motors has released new information on wheel/tire pricing. If you have not seen it already, here it is:

19” Winter Wheel/Tire Package with Pirelli Winter Tires
o $2400

19” Winter Studded Wheel/Tire Package with Nokian studded winter tires
o $2800

19” Wheel Package -- set of 4 19” wheels
o $1000

19 “ Wheel (single)
o $275

21” Wheel/Tire Package -- set of 4 21” Silver Wheels with Performance Tires
o $5,200

21” Wheel (single)
o $950

End quote.

The items which do not say "tires" are for rims only. Sorry about the awkward formatting, but that is pretty much the way it came.

Hmm:
$5200 (21" package) - $2400 (Pirelli winter tire package) - ~$1700 (standard 19" package estimate) = ~$1100
Since I'm a Signature I can downgrade for "free" (since 21's are highly not recommended for Manitoba roads, and I'm not spending time on the racetrack); it would reduce the sting of the $3500 "non-credit" if Tesla chose to provide us with a set of 19"s for summer and the Pirelli set for winter as a free "downgrade", and they would still be up $1100. I've passed this idea on to Tesla, and if you're in the same boat as me or think it's a good idea, I'd appreciate more customers suggesting this. I think it would show some goodwill and both sides make a bit of a compromise. What do you think, TMC?

Any thoughts on the Model S's relatively new technology and the fact that this rear-wheel drive car has an unusually low center of gravity due to the battery pack? I doubt we know how well this car will handle in the snow until there are some more real-world experiences. So perhaps 19" all-season tires may suffice in the winter?!?!

Any thoughts on the Model S's relatively new technology and the fact that this rear-wheel drive car has an unusually low center of gravity due to the battery pack? I doubt we know how well this car will handle in the snow until there are some more real-world experiences. So perhaps 19" all-season tires may suffice in the winter?!?!

Winter performance in modern cars is a combination of tires, traction control, ABS, and vehicle stability control*. Rear wheel, front wheel, or all wheel drive make much less of a difference than they did a few years ago (despite all the claims the contrary). Whether all-season tires will suffice depends on the particular all-seasons (many are "Texas" all-seasons) and the conditions in your area. If there is a real winter where you drive, then a set of winter wheels and four studless snow tires from a first tier tire manufacturer are what you should use. There are severe-service all-seasons that are almost as good but the odd sized tires that Tesla has chosen for the Model S means that your tire choices are very limited.

Any car that doesn't have all three systems should be a non-starter.

Winter performance in modern cars is a combination of tires, traction control, ABS, and vehicle stability control*. Rear wheel, front wheel, or all wheel drive make much less of a difference than they did a few years ago (despite all the claims the contrary). Whether all-season tires will suffice depends on the particular all-seasons (many are "Texas" all-seasons) and the conditions in your area. If there is a real winter where you drive, then a set of winter wheels and four studless snow tires from a first tier tire manufacturer are what you should use. There are severe-service all-seasons that are almost as good but the odd sized tires that Tesla has chosen for the Model S means that your tire choices are very limited.

Any car that doesn't have all three systems should be a non-starter.

I agree with all that you said. However, there is NO car on the road with such even weight distribution and low center of gravity. All other cars (rear-wheel drive or otherwise) have most of their weight distributed mainly in the front due to their engines. How can we possibly say how the Model S will handle in the snow until we drive it? As a famous philosopher said, "To know is to know that you do not know."

I agree with all that you said. However, there is NO car on the road with such even weight distribution and low center of gravity. All other cars (rear-wheel drive or otherwise) have most of their weight distributed mainly in the front due to their engines. How can we possibly say how the Model S will handle in the snow until we drive it? As a famous philosopher said, "To know is to know that you do not know."

Generally cars get into trouble because the weight isn't even on all four corners so one end or the other has a tendency to slip. Long ago, before all the electronics, you put sand bags in the trunk to make the weight even. Tesla's been nice enough to do this for us.:smile:

I am getting the winter studded snow tires and giving my Model S a test this winter. This is my Pagosa Springs Driveway in the winter. We will see.