Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels/tires packages for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me:

19" wheels are $1,000
TPMS sensors are $196
Mounting tires (they will mount whatever you bring) is roughly $200-300. At many shops they have a third party do this; Tesla does not mark it up
Swapping the tires and re-learning the sensors, about $87
Plus tax, obviously

This compares to buying their Pirelli Sottozeros for $2400, plus installation (I think they charged me just over $200), plus tax.

Thanks, that is good to know ... hopefully, if they deliver it at the beginning of the window in February and i need winter tires mounted, the montreal service center will be open by then and this will be a simple process, whether i go with the Pirellis (assuming availability by then) or the Hakkepelittas. It's nice to know i will have the choice when the time comes.

Panicking (a little)...I signed my paperwork 5 days ago and was just notified that my car would be delivered before the end of December (window of 12/15-12/31). I ordered the 21" wheels and thought I wouldn't be taking delivery until late February or March. I was planning on addressing the winter wheel issue over spring/summer (for next year). I live in the Kansas City area. We usually don't have terrible winters (1 or 2 major snows, a few light snows, and some ice), but I don't think I'll be able to make it through on the performance wheels. The winter wheel package is sold out (as you all know). I called the nearest service center and it doesn't sound like they will be available any time soon (if at all this winter). The waiting list, according to the service rep, is "everybody!" I know there have been some suggestions regarding off brand solutions (not thrilled about that). I'm curious if anyone has actually installed non-Tesla winter wheels/tires and if anyone has any strong recommendations as I scramble to get everything in order.

Tesla told me:

19" wheels are $1,000
TPMS sensors are $196
Mounting tires (they will mount whatever you bring) is roughly $200-300. At many shops they have a third party do this; Tesla does not mark it up
Swapping the tires and re-learning the sensors, about $87
Plus tax, obviously

This compares to buying their Pirelli Sottozeros for $2400, plus installation (I think they charged me just over $200), plus tax.

Tesla told me TPMS are $120 each, so $480 for the set.

@clea -

I think you'll probably get the car before March 15th no? They are going to be done all CDN sigs by end of December. Then let's say Canadian cars are produced at a rate of one-tenth the rate of US cars. You are general production 98, so 980 US cars are "before" you. 980 is not even three weeks of production... I'd estimate you'd be getting your car more like beginning of February.

If and when you do find a 19" winter solution, I'd really like to know what it is. I'm going to get my car with the 21" gray wheels (Performance), so I need to find a good 19" wheel/tire package. Tire Rack has some options which come to quite a bit cheaper than the TM options, but there are no TPMS sensors and the offset isn't quite right.

Thanks!

Robert

@clea -

I think you'll probably get the car before March 15th no? They are going to be done all CDN sigs by end of December. Then let's say Canadian cars are produced at a rate of one-tenth the rate of US cars. You are general production 98, so 980 US cars are "before" you. 980 is not even three weeks of production... I'd estimate you'd be getting your car more like beginning of February.

If and when you do find a 19" winter solution, I'd really like to know what it is. I'm going to get my car with the 21" gray wheels (Performance), so I need to find a good 19" wheel/tire package. Tire Rack has some options which come to quite a bit cheaper than the TM options, but there are no TPMS sensors and the offset isn't quite right.

Thanks!

Robert

No probs, when/if i need to deal with this issue i will be sure to let you know the solution i come up with.

I don't know how much help this is going to be for folks but I just received a phone call from somebody on the Ownership Experience team. They told me that the issue with the 19" wheels is getting *very* high priority attention at Tesla right now. Meetings are happening, etc... etc... Sounded like they are going to prioritize regions that are the worst off wrt weather. I know they can't produce them out of thin air, but it's nice to know they are doing their level best to get us our tires/wheels.

I look forward to hearing reports back from people like Cottonwood and others who deal with slippery uphills this time year forward. It is a particularly difficult time in New England choosing tires. Should I keep my solid Michelin all seasons on or switch to my studded Nokians. We are supposed to get a couple inches of snow and slush followed by freezing rain and rain and then will probably have dry roads all within the same week. Each set of tires does significantly better than the other depending on the condition, but none bridges all these conditions satisfactorily.

Maybe they will switch to non-studded Hakka R's.

I was really hoping Tesla would choose those, they consistently get rave reviews, have very low rolling resistance, and are available in the correct size.

One can hope!

Unfortunately, that will never happen :mad:
Problem is that the tires have R speed rating 170km/h=106mph
And the Model S performance max speed is 130mph, so you need H (130) or V (149) rating

I've put 160km/h rated winter tires on my BMW. I just have to be careful to not go over 160km/h (which isn't that hard)... Of course a manufacturer will never use lower speed rated tires on their car than what the car is capable of.

Jerry, What say you? I got the impression from this thread that the Hakka R's seem to be the most highly recommended. Is the R speed rating a safety issue?

And the Model S performance max speed is 130mph, so you need H (130) or V (149) rating

Do you have different rules in the US ? Here in Europe we do not need to follow the speed rating for winter tires or all-season tires. Only summer tires need the correct rating. The reason for this is that high speed rated winter tires are much worse on snow&ice than lower speed rated tires. Most winter tires here have a Q rating (160km/h).

Do you have different rules in the US ? Here in Europe we do not need to follow the speed rating for winter tires or all-season tires. Only summer tires need the correct rating. The reason for this is that high speed rated winter tires are much worse on snow&ice than lower speed rated tires. Most winter tires here have a Q rating (160km/h).

Let me clarify. I was merely stating that i don't think Tesla will sell R rated tires. However, Tesla is selling the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 which has a T rating (118mph). Still that is less that the MS performance 130mph max speed
So you could be correct, that it is legal to sell winter tires with lower speed rating

I understand that because of this Tesla may never offer these tires in their package, which is too bad...

Driving faster that 170 km/h in winter (up here anyway) is borderline suicidal.

I'll take another look at the Pirelli's they offer, and may switch to Hakkas when those are worn, or just get the rims, TPMS and Hakka R separately (with the potential added cost and hassle to get them installed properly).

I think I'm gonna go with the RIAL 19" turbines that NJS found, with the Happa R's for Winter. UNLESS, lots of the smart people who are really smart on wheels and tires tell me not to for safety reasons. I can't honestly remember the last time I drove over 85mph. In Winter probably never except on a pretty fast snowmobile.