TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

wiper blade

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by mpt, Dec 24, 2010.

1. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

+1 same issue, replaced, happy now.

2. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

That would be crazy because the car was less than 2 months old in that video and it's been doing it since I got the car. Hrmph. Thanks for the reply -- I'll replace it and see what happens.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

When I got my car, there was a metal wire inside the blade that was sticking out about an inch at the bottom. The wiper didn't work very well. After pushing the wire fully into the wiper it worked properly.

4. donauker

donauker Member

The original wiper on my Roadster was one of the worst I had ever seen. It left wide streaks and within months it refused to flip for the back stroke. I went with the Bosch 424A ICON Wiper Blade which was highly regarded on the Lotus forums and have enjoyed over 14 months of silent streak free wiper use to date. I had totally forgotten how bad the original one was. As I recall the Bosch may be slightly shorter so it may be a slightly smaller arc.

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation -- I just Amazon'ed it. I'll put it on the car when I get it back next week and try to remember to report back when it precipitates next. Too bad I won't have the Roadster back from the service center in NY for the big snow storm we're supposed to get on Sunday!

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#6 vfx, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Now to find some place to buy those in Canada. Amazon suppliers typically won't ship here, and this is no exception. All we can get here is books!

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Hey, aren't you British?

9. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

"windscreen wiper blade" ... as it ought to be :)

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I ordered the Bosch 424A ICON Wiper Blade VFX recommended this morning. I've only had the car a short period now but drove it in the rain the first time. The stock wiper blades are pretty bad. Very loud but they work I guess. I'll see how the Bosch blades do. For a car this expensive, it really should have the better accessories like the Bosch blades.

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I moved the posts and thus named the thread if that clears up any confusion.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I have not bought one. I just try not to drive the Roadster in the rain. Mostly because when it rains my mountain roads turn into muddy rocky slalom courses. Not as fun as it sounds.

13. dsm363

Has anyone here used Rain X and is it ok to use on a windshield treated with the Solar Guard treatment from Tesla? Thanks.

14. tomsax

tomsax Member

I had the same problem with the original wiper blades and replaced them with the Bosch Icon 426A, which matches the length of the original blade. The 426 does seem a bit long when it's in the down position. Does the 424 cover the same area when wiping?

15. tomsax

tomsax Member

Speaking of replacing wiper blades, when I got my 12,000-mile service in September, Tesla charged me $550 for the service, plus $25.80 for a replacement wiper blade (which fortunately they left in my trunk instead of throwing away my Bosch), and $48.48 for 2 remote batteries.

Obviously, I'd rather pay Amazon $18 for another Bosch blade (which I have since done).

I doubt the batteries for the remote need to be replaced every year and you can buy them for less than $1 each. For the 2008 remote, it's two CR1616 cells, available from DigiKey for $0.63 each. I don't know what's in the remotes for the newer models.

From what I'd heard from other owners, I expected the service to cost $600. Instead it cost $550 plus $74.28 for stuff I didn't want, for a total of $624.28.

I don't mind paying for the service, but I found it insulting to be wildly overcharged for batteries I didn't need and a wiper blade I won't use.

16. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

When my roadster was new I had the same experience, the blade would not flip. On my first visit from the Tesla service manager for an unrelated issue, he noticed the wiper problem. A few quick bends of the wiper arm (not sure which direction) and problem solved. My car is now 16 months old with no windshield/windscreen wiper problems with the original blade. Although it is not streaking I pobably should replace the blade due to its age.

17. dsm363

I just installed the Bosch 426A blades and they seem to work ok. Of course it stopped raining as soon as I got home to install them but they seem much quieter than the OEM ones. I agree with Tom that they seem a little long in the rest position but seem to work ok and cover the same area as the OEM blade.

18. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I've got an application (double coat) on mine. Was one of the first things I did. Haven't re-applied yet. You can see it (with the stock blade) in my video in the videos forum. I've not noticed it causing any problems...

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

For the Canadian cars, at least, a dead battery in the fob would render the car useless. So I understand the need for replacing them annually. That said, $50 for batteries is absurd.

20. bolosky

bolosky Member

Funny. When I was in to fix my winshield washer (the time it stopped because of a kinked line because of pulling some lateral g's at the track) Carl tried out the repaired washer, said that my wiper blade wasn't working well, and popped a new one on, no charge. Maybe they have to charge for it when it's part of the annual serivce or something. Or, maybe they're just kind of inconsistent about billing (my guess).