Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers activating unexpectedly, even on a bright sunny day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was responding to comment above his that didn't seem to know that AP (including NOA) turns on auto wipers every time even if it was disabled.

As for the dry wipes, the auto wipers activate when it thinks the front cameras are not clear. User fixable things that might cause it is dirty or coated glass (sometimes inside housing, some people have taken it off to clean), condensation inside the housing (use defrost to clear). Things unfixable for user are false detections (like certain light patterns that look like rain, sometimes this is repeatable if you drive past the same exact scene in the same time of day and weather).

Thing to keep in mind is that it is all based on the camera unit. So sometimes if spray hits the bottom windshield but not the unit, it won't activate. Sometimes spray hits the unit, but not the bottom windshield and it'll activate even if your view is clear.
Thank you for the explanation. I’ll take a closer look at the housing.

My wipers also just started running at an intermittent speed every time I turn Autopilot on even though there is no moisture on the windshield. I managed to turn the wipers off using a voice command after three tries. When I tried turning on Autopilot again the wipers started up again. I see from other comments that Autopilot turns wipers to Auto but I had wipers on Auto before I turned Autopilot on and they weren't running then.

Seriously folks, even if you're a Tesla die hard, you have to admit that this is annoying and that Auto Brights don't work.

The last couple of times I went for a drive, the wipers started in completely dry conditions. The first time I thought maybe there was some dew on the windshield, but today, in broad sunlight and completely dry they came on at the highest speed for about 15 seconds. Car was recently updated to 2022.36.20, but it happened at least once before the update. Any ideas?
Auto wipers do that. Tesla is the worst in my experience. Neural net sucks on the wipers.

I don't think that the Tesla autowiper logic is all that complicated. It probably compares successive frames (or maybe every x frames) for changes in visibility. It's a passive system using ambient light. Comparable systems consist of an IR emitter/sensor pair which base wiper speed on dispersion of the IR beam.

Every so often, the Tesla logic misjudges differences between frames. Sometimes, a miniscule amount of spots/dirt on the glass covering the front cameras causes the problem. Other times there's no obvious cause. In any case, Tesla opted for simplicity over reliability.

I don't think that the Tesla autowiper logic is all that complicated. It probably compares successive frames (or maybe every x frames) for changes in visibility. It's a passive system using ambient light. Comparable systems consist of an IR emitter/sensor pair which base wiper speed on dispersion of the IR beam.

Every so often, the Tesla logic misjudges differences between frames. Sometimes, a miniscule amount of spots/dirt on the glass covering the front cameras causes the problem. Other times there's no obvious cause. In any case, Tesla opted for simplicity over reliability.
They've literally talked about a 'deep rain' neural network guiding the auto wipers :). Seems pretty complex, yet not that effective unfortunately.

They've literally talked about a 'deep rain' neural network guiding the auto wipers :). Seems pretty complex, yet not that effective unfortunately.

I understand your point about the neural networks, but why all of the sudden when after 2 years of owning the car it has never had the wipers come on when starting autopilot? So many people having similar issues? My wipers literally come on immediately after engaging autopilot even at night.

Do you think a software upgrade had new training that is more sensitive to maybe a speck of dust in the housing or do you think the network needs to be re-trained?

I had my auto wipers start recently on a sunny day. I’ve only owned my MY since Oct and never saw this before. I did have PPF applied to the entire front but don’t recall if this problem was noticed immediately after.

I also think the wiper speed is to fast, not the intermittent setting, just a normal wipe is too fast.

I turned auto wipe off but will try it again since I obtained a couple of updates since.

I understand your point about the neural networks, but why all of the sudden when after 2 years of owning the car it has never had the wipers come on when starting autopilot? So many people having similar issues? My wipers literally come on immediately after engaging autopilot even at night.

Do you think a software upgrade had new training that is more sensitive to maybe a speck of dust in the housing or do you think the network needs to be re-trained?
If your car has Tesla vision enabled it will turn on auto wipers everytime AP is activated. This was only introduced in recent updates. With previous radar based AP, it was possible to keep the wipers off while in AP.

See that's definitely weird.. I never have problems when its actually raining and it does ramp up with intensity. But never fails if I'm driving head on towards sunlight if the windshield is dirty, they'll take a few swipes.
A few dry swipes I could handle. Mine do not stop swiping when in autopilot, no matter if it’s day/night. And it’s so random, sometimes just once every 5 seconds sometimes frantically but definitely constantly on a dry windshield when in autopilot. I’ve looked in the housing and don’t see debris. Windshield is clean. Going to try customer support.

For me, with a 30 month old M3, it's only happened the last 6-8 weeks. Not sure what or why they changed anything but it is a huge drawback to running AP, which I do a lot. Please, Tesla, allow me to turn off my own wipers like a responsible adult!
Agreed. I drive in autopilot because I use Tesla insurance and autopilot keeps the safely score higher. So I guess for now I’ll deal with the annoyance of wipers wiping dry glass on a sunny day to save a few bucks lol.

Came outside after it rained and car was on auto, it wiped the ran off the windshield and just kept going and going even with no water on the windshield at all and it wasn't even raining. I had to turn it off then re-enabled it and it stopped going.

I think there's some sensitivity issue or code/software issue as it was never this bad.

A few dry swipes I could handle. Mine do not stop swiping when in autopilot, no matter if it’s day/night. And it’s so random, sometimes just once every 5 seconds sometimes frantically but definitely constantly on a dry windshield when in autopilot. I’ve looked in the housing and don’t see debris. Windshield is clean. Going to try customer support.
If your car has Tesla vision enabled it will turn on auto wipers everytime AP is activated. This was only introduced in recent updates. With previous radar based AP, it was possible to keep the wipers off while in AP.

Thank you for the explanation. The weirdest thing happened yesterday for some reason I was able to to choose the wiper speed while in autopilot. I’ve never been able to do that before, if the car was in autopilot it chooses auto and you can’t switch. I think the car has a mind of its own.

My car has had two updates since this started and it's still happening. I repeat, my entire windshield is spotless. I was driving to the airport at 0530 and everytime I passed under a light on the highway the wipers cycled on my spotless, dry windshield. I had to try really hard not to get angry while my kids asked why the wipers were going off. Unacceptable and recent, not sure what the software engineers changed but please, please let me turn off wipers on autopilot or fix this bug!!!!

My car has had two updates since this started and it's still happening. I repeat, my entire windshield is spotless. I was driving to the airport at 0530 and everytime I passed under a light on the highway the wipers cycled on my spotless, dry windshield. I had to try really hard not to get angry while my kids asked why the wipers were going off. Unacceptable and recent, not sure what the software engineers changed but please, please let me turn off wipers on autopilot or fix this bug!!!!
Windshield being spotless is useless, thorough cleaning of the camera area may be required if it only started happening recently (people have reported that even when it looks clean at a glance, just cleaning it to make sure have solved dry wipe issues). The thing to keep in mind is that the detection only uses the cameras and is not aware of the condition of the windshield (so there are some wiping decisions that don't really help the driver, but only helps the camera).

Last edited: