Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers activating unexpectedly, even on a bright sunny day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last couple of times I went for a drive, the wipers started in completely dry conditions. The first time I thought maybe there was some dew on the windshield, but today, in broad sunlight and completely dry they came on at the highest speed for about 15 seconds. Car was recently updated to 2022.36.20, but it happened at least once before the update. Any ideas?
I find in the summer months when it is sunny the shadows created by the trees or building will activate my wipers. Shadows fool sensors into thinking window is dirty.

The last couple of times I went for a drive, the wipers started in completely dry conditions. The first time I thought maybe there was some dew on the windshield, but today, in broad sunlight and completely dry they came on at the highest speed for about 15 seconds. Car was recently updated to 2022.36.20, but it happened at least once before the update. Any ideas?
Did you have cruise control on? Cruise control seems to enable automatic setting on the wipers

Did you have cruise control on? Cruise control seems to enable automatic setting on the wipers
No, but the automatic setting was on because I had previously used cruise control/autopilot. This is new behavior and appeared when it started getting cold around here. Haven't proven it yet, but I think there may be some frost developing on the windshield when driving in cold weather. It is very intermittent. I can go days without it happening and then it reappears.

Does anyone know where the fuse panel is on 2023 MYLR or specifically the fuse/circuit breaker for WSW??? This random wiper activation on a dry windshield is driving me bonkers!!! I would rather use Rain-X until a software solution has fixed this nightmare.
Model 3/Y doesn't use fuse panels. It's all electronic, using MOSFETs to protect circuits:

As people mentioned up thread people have had generally good results cleaning the inside and outside glass of the housing thoroughly.

Reactions: rpiotro
I know. I love autonomy but there should be some degree of human intervention allowance when stuff like this happens. I’ve now had to purchase new blades because the old ones wore out.
The problem is Elon thinks he's Steve Jobs and is making decisions based on tech that isn't mature yet. When they went to autopilot using ONLY cameras that made it incumbent on the system to make sure the front cam has a clear view. The only way to do that is mandate that auto wipers be engaged with autopilot so that if its view is obstructed, it's not waiting on you to clear the obstruction and driving 'blind' in the meantime. The work flow sounds logical. . . . .to an engineer in a lab. However, as we've seen, real world conditions are driving the system nuts with false positives because they went to a system that wasn't really ready for prime time.

Model 3/Y doesn't use fuse panels. It's all electronic, using MOSFETs to protect circuits:

As people mentioned up thread people have had generally good results cleaning the inside and outside glass of the housing thoroughly.
Cleaning the glass hasn't helped. My 2019 Model X does NOT have this problem. However, the 2023 Model Y has been problematic for 6 straight months. I am tempted to file a complaint with NHTSA and/or Pennsylvania Lemon Law, especially because I paid nearly $20K more for the Dec 15th delivery of my 2023 Model Y than what it cost 1 month later. Very frustrating.

Cleaning the glass hasn't helped. My 2019 Model X does NOT have this problem. However, the 2023 Model Y has been problematic for 6 straight months. I am tempted to file a complaint with NHTSA and/or Pennsylvania Lemon Law, especially because I paid nearly $20K more for the Dec 15th delivery of my 2023 Model Y than what it cost 1 month later. Very frustrating.
MOSFETs may be the better future of electronics but this leaves me with little choice but to remove my wiper arms until the software fix is in. I'm NOT gonna drive 1,000 miles to Orlando next week while my Model Y wipers continually wipe a dry windshield. I don't want to risk the Model X because Florida drivers are idiots! IMHO

You cleaned the inside glass of the housing also after removing it? Note you may need to shine a light at an angle to see the watermarks. Normal cleaning may not necessarily clear that. Some people got this cleaning by the SC under warranty.

The auto wipers used to be not sensitive enough.

Recently, it seems to be oversensitive and turns on for no reason.

Then I inspected my windshield closely and turns out, i got a damn rock chip almost spidering a 1cm radius of glass smack dab in the middle of the front camera sensors…

…might be a coincidence

Reactions: BitJam
Well, it took about :45 minutes and a small gear puller to remove my WSW's but the problem is resolved!! I won't have to clean the bugs off my window at every charging station between here and Orlando now and I COULD CARE LESS if the wipers run continuously from here on. Talk about road rage; imagine how boiling mad one can get sitting at a red light on a sunny day and you are the only idiot sitting there with the wipers on. Thanks guys, I'm out-a-here. Good luck to all you Tesla lovers out there.

Well, it took about :45 minutes and a small gear puller to remove my WSW's but the problem is resolved!! I won't have to clean the bugs off my window at every charging station between here and Orlando now and I COULD CARE LESS if the wipers run continuously from here on. Talk about road rage; imagine how boiling mad one can get sitting at a red light on a sunny day and you are the only idiot sitting there with the wipers on. Thanks guys, I'm out-a-here. Good luck to all you Tesla lovers out there.

Wait.. you removed your windshield wipers entirely? Is that even legal?

Don't know if it is legal or not, but I don't care. We drove to Orlando since my last post and the Rain-X worked just fine (withOUT the wipers) even with the hard downpours in Florida weather. Also, pulling 2 bicycles on the back was like pulling a parachute! I had to slow down from 75 to 65 MPH to bring the Whrs down from 385 to 325. No problem, but I'm in no hurry to get anywhere these days.

Mine randomly wipes on sunny days too. For this reason, I leave it off until I actually need it. I rarely ever actually use autopilot so it's not too big of an issue.

The bigger concern for my region is that we can literally go 4-5 months without rain and there can be dirt built up on the windshield/wiper blade. I wouldn't want the wiper to dry wipe on dirty glass because it could leave a nice big scratch on the windshield.