Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers in a tunnel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had that happen in a couple of different states so far. Bone dry conditions. Different tunnel lighting each time. No idea what’s up. Annoying since it further smeared the windshield, the top third of which wasn’t getting cleaned to begin with.

Gremlins. Or suboptimal acceptance testing that failed to account for the tunnel use case.

Tangentially, tunnel differentiation is now gone as a result of the improved(?) maps package. That feature would now be (Navi)gon[e], as it were.

Twice now in the Sunset highway heading west from Portland, OR, my wipers have come on twice in the perfectly dry tunnel! Could the strobe effect from passing under the tunnel light fixtures confuse the rain sensor?

This is my commute route! I will have to see if my car does the same thing once I finally get it (4/18 invite purgatory currently)

Perhaps you are one of the M3’s I have been seeing around Beaverton/Hillsboro...

This is my commute route! I will have to see if my car does the same thing once I finally get it (4/18 invite purgatory currently)

Perhaps you are one of the M3’s I have been seeing around Beaverton/Hillsboro...
I'm north of Vancouver. I was at the vintage Tek museum on the Tektronics campus and a matching blue model 3 pulled up. We agreed we both had excellent taste in automobiles.

Reactions: eprosenx
With the latest update on software, made it through the tunnel fine. 2018.24.1

Thanks for the update regarding the wipers on the latest update.

@TaoJones The AP team is definitely aware of the issue. Andrej Karpathy even highlights the struggle with it and tunnels in this insightful video:
(Linked to the Auto Wipers part, but great vid overall)