Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers now voice controllable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except the whole point of auto wipers, is to make them work correctly automatically with out any need of assistance, so money spent on something that should not be needed in my opinion, not to mention it is annoying using voice control when listening to music .

Oh it was not exactly difficult to just press the end of the stalk to make them come on once either.

Except the whole point of auto wipers, is to make them work correctly automatically with out any need of assistance

I've never had a car yet with auto wipers where I haven't had to override the auto setting at some time

Oh it was not exactly difficult to just press the end of the stalk to make them come on once either.

not exactly difficult, but you do (or perhaps it's just me) get fed up with having to do it every 10 seconds when fine rain starts and you can't take your attention off the road to turn on the wipers manually.

Agreed, the auto ought to work, but I thought the voice control was a nice extra feature to have until (this year, next year, sometime, never) the auto is sorted out.

Reactions: Roy W.
My point was, if they actually spent more money to make them work, instead of wasting money to give something we should not need.

Since the rain wiper update they are a lot better but still need improvements, I do not press the end of the stalk that often now days as before you did actually have to set the wipers on the screen far too often.

Regarding the learning process do not see it at all.

I've never had a car yet with auto wipers where I haven't had to override the auto setting at some time

not exactly difficult, but you do (or perhaps it's just me) get fed up with having to do it every 10 seconds when fine rain starts and you can't take your attention off the road to turn on the wipers manually.

Agreed, the auto ought to work, but I thought the voice control was a nice extra feature to have until (this year, next year, sometime, never) the auto is sorted out.
The problem with the eternal auto-wipers discussion is that it’s gone from being dangerous a few updates ago to being just like other cars in that it now suits some and annoys others. IMHO the dangerous lack of reaction has now gone. We’re instead into the discussion that happens in all forums where everyone describes whether or not the frequency of the wipe is correct when it’s really about what they want as an individual. I often ride in taxis and wonder why the driver wants the wipers going nuts or why the driver thinks it’s ok to drive with only an occasional wipe but then I realise that’s just my preference and the taxi’s operational mode is his/hers.

Whenever we arrive at the point of ‘they were way better in my Audi/Skoda/Trabant’ etc, we have to remember that we’ve arrived at the point of personal preference rather than the situation of impending doom we had back in early December.

Not working at all in unlit roads at night is still something that most cars get right, because they don't use cameras to try to decide whether it's raining or not. If they fix (if it's possible) that it is probably degenerating into how fast they work.. but with that and other bugs we're not there yet.

I'm still not very thrilled with my wiper performance - automatic still is not reliable, usually starts when you have zero visability and only had one success with voice command so far and this was "wiper on" fortunately both wipers activated.

Some of the new voice commands are great, but some just don't work for me at all in the UK.

In particular setting a temperature (eg "set temperature to 19") simply doesn't work at all and just responds that it's "enabled climate control" but doesn't change the temp. (I also tried reasonable range Fahrenheit temps in case they just forgot Celsius but that made no difference)

Also trying "send a text message to <name>" never succeeds.

Both of those were listed in the update notes as things that should work, and I see it recognise the speech correctly, but then fail to perform the command.

Anyone else have those work in the UK?

Some of the new voice commands are great, but some just don't work for me at all in the UK.

In particular setting a temperature (eg "set temperature to 19") simply doesn't work at all and just responds that it's "enabled climate control" but doesn't change the temp. (I also tried reasonable range Fahrenheit temps in case they just forgot Celsius but that made no difference)

Also trying "send a text message to <name>" never succeeds.

Both of those were listed in the update notes as things that should work, and I see it recognise the speech correctly, but then fail to perform the command.

Anyone else have those work in the UK?
They don't work for me either. Same with a lot of other commands.

Voice activated wipers is good to have... safer to use voice command than try to fiddle with screen.