Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wipers work well at clearing the screen when they choose to operate. Worst experience so far was driving at 50mph in heavy rain at night when suddenly the rain became ‘monsoon’. I gave the voice command ‘increase wipers’ and the car responded with ‘wipers off’. Finding the hazard light switch in a hurry in the dark is almost impossible. It was a miracle I didn’t go off the road and no one ran into the back of me whilst I got them going again. In retrospect I should have just kept my finger on the washer button but it was a panic situation! Think about what you would do. Looking at the touch screen is not an option!

Best trick for wipers is to push the stalk button once and that makes the wiper options pop up. You don't need to hunt through the menus to find wiper settings.

An even better trick would be some software that operates the wipers at the appropriate speed all of the time. The shortcut to the wiper menu helps but using the touch screen is too much of a distraction when the wipers are running too slowly and driving needs 100% concentration.

Reactions: Artiste
An even better trick would be some software that operates the wipers at the appropriate speed all of the time. The shortcut to the wiper menu helps but using the touch screen is too much of a distraction when the wipers are running too slowly and driving needs 100% concentration.

Yeah I guess it's easy for me to say "it's only a button press, in the bottom right", but then I've not experienced total failure of the wipers in torrential rain. I bet that was not fun!

There are a lot of features that Tesla to well, and many that, frankly, need a kick up the arse. Ironically, most of these are normal car features that they shouldn't need to struggle with. I can't help but feel that the Tesla hype has gotten to me (and dare I say others too) so that the actual end product has been a little underwhelming compared to expectations. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but there are quite the few nuances that one needs to remember and work around.

Reactions: Artiste
While the auto wiper function isn't the best, for me it's gone from being poor enough to need an override very often to good enough to be left alone nearly all the time. I'd like to see it improve quite a lot more but I think now it's not the safety issue it was.

On a related note, what wiper blades would people recommend? Mine have only ever been "OK" so when it's time to replace I'd like better. Are any genuinely materially better than stock?