Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charger options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this email from Nomad yesterday:

Hello xxxx,

Your Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 is almost ready to be packed and shipped. We originally planned on being able to ship the first orders today, but we have run into a slight delay with receiving our shipment from our factory in China.

The chargers are on their way and close by, but seem to be experiencing delays in customs since they have batteries and they're being imported from China. Not the most ideal situation to be in at the moment, but things are looking awesome otherwise and we don't expect any additional delays.

We expect to have them in by Friday, September 14 and start shipping out the first orders that same day. Orders placed from July 24 - September 10 will be shipped between September 14 - 25 in the order they were placed. All orders placed tomorrow onward will ship out starting October 15.

Thank you for your patience with us and for joining in on one of our most exciting new projects. We couldn't be happier with how the Wireless Charger ultimately turned out and we can't wait for you to get your hands on it. In the meantime, check out this teaser below of the preview unit we’ve got on hand at our HQ.

We would love to hear your feedback once you start charging. Please feel free to send any feedback or questions to me directly, or to our Support Team via [email protected].

- xxxx

Customer Support Manager

This is my favorite solution so far:
Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

mine is arriving today

Yuck.

Did you receive the Nomad Charger? What's your impression of it?

I got my Nomad on Monday. It's really good. It lets you continue to utilize the same phone storage area that Tesla configured our cars with, but charges the phone wirelessly. It charges pretty fast too, charged my iPhone X about 25% in about 25 minute drive. It has LEDs so you know state of charge.

Nomad has been making iAccessories for a pretty long time, I felt better about trusting them to put a lithium ion charging solution in my car without burning it down a lot more than I trusted Jeda or others. As far as I know the Model 3 charging base station is Jeda's very first product they've ever done. Not willing to risk damage to my $60K+ Tesla by a company that is just getting going.

I get it that lots of people want to put their phone up by their face while they drive so they can recklessly screw around with it while they are on the road, good luck with that.

Had the nomad for a few days, it's excellent! I tried some more aggressive cornering today, and it keeps the phone in place perfectly. Looks perfect, works perfect, no more phone slipping down into the lower compartment! If I had to reach for a gripe, the lid won't close anymore with my chunky phone cover, but that's more my phone cover's fault and not too important.

Nomad has been making iAccessories for a pretty long time, I felt better about trusting them to put a lithium ion charging solution in my car without burning it down a lot more than I trusted Jeda or others. As far as I know the Model 3 charging base station is Jeda's very first product they've ever done. Not willing to risk damage to my $60K+ Tesla by a company that is just getting going.
For me the integrated battery in the Nomad pad is actually one reason (besides the outrageous price) why I didn't order it. For safety reasons I'd prefer a pad without battery, even if the charging is a little slower (and if the speed really bothers you, you could still feed it from the 12V outlet further back in the center console). I'm curious about the rumored Jeda pad version 2 ...

Reactions: Cowby and eprosenx
For me the integrated battery in the Nomad pad is actually one reason (besides the outrageous price) why I didn't order it. For safety reasons I'd prefer a pad without battery, even if the charging is a little slower (and if the speed really bothers you, you could still feed it from the 12V outlet further back in the center console). I'm curious about the rumored Jeda pad version 2 ...

Well, everyone needs to decide what is important to them. However, anyone who just bought a $50K-$77,000 car referring to spending an extra $50 on a charging solution as "outrageous! Expensive!" is just kind of hilarious to me.

The reason that Nomad went this route is that most users want fast charging, not slow charging. If I hop in my car with a nearly dead battery and I'm going to be driving for 30 minutes I want my phone at 40% battery when I get there, not 20%.

I do understand the concern around putting a non-user-replaceable lithium pack in a car where the interior environment can get quite hot... however Nomad has a good track record with this stuff, knows this is being used for automotive and specifically delayed release of their device until it passed 150F temperature testing to simulate hot car.

Reactions: C141medic
Well, everyone needs to decide what is important to them. However, anyone who just bought a $50K-$77,000 car referring to spending an extra $50 on a charging solution as "outrageous! Expensive!" is just kind of hilarious to me.
Well, I find it hilarious that people are paying $150 (or even $100) for a $5 rubber pad with embedded Qi chargers worth maybe $20. I'm thrifty by nature, I guess. ;) IMO Nomad and Jeda are currently just milking the early adopters. Given how easy these things are to make, I'm sure there will be less expensive options in the next few months. Until then, the wired charging works just fine for me.
The reason that Nomad went this route is that most users want fast charging, not slow charging. If I hop in my car with a nearly dead battery and I'm going to be driving for 30 minutes I want my phone at 40% battery when I get there, not 20%.
How much faster is the Nomad pad really compared to e.g. the Jeda or a DYI solution with off the shelf Qi pads?

Well, I find it hilarious that people are paying $150 (or even $100) for a $5 rubber pad with embedded Qi chargers worth maybe $20. I'm thrifty by nature, I guess. ;) IMO Nomad and Jeda are currently just milking the early adopters. Given how easy these things are to make, I'm sure there will be less expensive options in the next few months. Until then, the wired charging works just fine for me.

Well, make sure you don't look into how much the cell phone you bought "cost to make". That would be the real sticker shock for you.

How much faster is the Nomad pad really compared to e.g. the Jeda or a DYI solution with off the shelf Qi pads?

That doesn't really matter... who is going to buy an off the shelf Qi coil, glue it to the bottom of the Tesla factory mat and try to get it to work so they can save a few bucks?

Scratch that, I see threads were people did exactly that and it looked like ass and worked like ass.

As far as speed of Jeda with no battery vs. Nomad with battery, someone who owns both would have to do a comparison, I'm not in a position to do that. The idea of the battery buffer in the Nomad is that it will augment the charging current levels if phone(s) are being charged and optimal charge rate can't be achieved with just USB power.

Well, make sure you don't look into how much the cell phone you bought "cost to make". That would be the real sticker shock for you.
Not really, because I know first hand how much R&D effort goes into making a phone. :p
As far as speed of Jeda with no battery vs. Nomad with battery, someone who owns both would have to do a comparison, I'm not in a position to do that.
Well, that's the first thing I'd like to know before I put a potential fire hazard into my car.