Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging essentially useless in the summer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just generally useless, all seasons, haha. I just got mine last week, but I quickly learned it's not powerful enough. I drove for 3 hours with my Pixel 3 playing over bluetooth and discovered my phone was like at 20% from 90% after about an hour and half. My podcast app uses a fair amount of juice to play at 1.5x speed, but it couldn't keep up at all.

I tried again today, tried flipping it upside down, and it basically still lost 1% per minute while connected BT and playing 1.5x. I plugged in to my 12v adapter and it added about 1% per minute while playing.
Here's a teardown skin of the Pixel 3. The charging coil appears to be right in the center, so flipping it upside down probably wouldn't do anything. At 5.94", it's not as tall as some of the newer phones, but still taller than the iPhone X era phones (at 5.65").
pdj2kw0kae541.jpg

Reactions: Park2670
It's completely worthless with endless overheating and zero charging with both my Pixel 5 and my Pixel 6 Pro. I've been trying to find any information pointing to any phone that reliably works with the factory charging pad so I can purchase and use that phone. Otherwise, I'm considering unplugging the charging pad to use solely as a holder that won't melt my battery!
My galaxy S10+ and an LG v50 charges fine in LA summers, just as a data point

Reactions: Jo060
Same issue. iPhone Mini 12. I printed myself a spacer to raise it up, but it mostly just overheats the phone to the point where it stops charging.

I usually keep my phone in the cup holder instead. I wish I could unplug the charger so I could use it for phone storage.

Reactions: frodebh
Same issue. iPhone Mini 12. I printed myself a spacer to raise it up, but it mostly just overheats the phone to the point where it stops charging.

I usually keep my phone in the cup holder instead. I wish I could unplug the charger so I could use it for phone storage.

My experience exactly! I've tried Lego brick spacers in different configurations, phone upside down, all that happens is the phone overheating.
Phone occupies a cup holder now and I wonder if it would be possible to insulate the charger coil somehow so I can put it up in the charging area instead.

No issue with induction charging older S10e and newer S22 era Samsungs in an early production Model 3 (with 1st gen center console and an aftermarket induction charger, USB hub mix from Nomad and Jedda, respectively).

The cover door (not present on current, newer 2nd gen center console cars) helps when there is indirect sunlight on the console, but with prolonged direct sunlight on the charging phones, they can and will eventually overheat and cease charging... especially if the AC is off and the phones were hot from extended use outside of the car prior to starting induction charging.

No heat issues and charges quickly enough on iPhone 13 Pro. Charges my AirPod Pro case fine, too. No heat, fast enough rate of charge.
Just how do you position your AirPod Pro case? I can't seem to find the sweat spot for it.

The charger does well with my iPhone 13 and my wife's. But they do get a bit warm, but I'm putting that down to charging through the case.
I don't charge them that often while out as full charge at night is usually more than enough to get me through my day.

My experience exactly! I've tried Lego brick spacers in different configurations, phone upside down, all that happens is the phone overheating.
Phone occupies a cup holder now and I wonder if it would be possible to insulate the charger coil somehow so I can put it up in the charging area instead.
Just turn the phone over, glass front to the charging pad, it will not charge then.

• Helpful
Reactions: jsmay311
So we took delivery a couple weeks ago and TBH our wireless charging has NOT been an issue.

Does the phone get a bit warm? YES!
Does it get hotter than using the wireless charger? NO

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra with a credit card case......The ONLY issue is that I have to kind of "fit" it into either place.

It works and even in interior temps being very hot, it just works.