Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y. Has anyone any experience of using a wireless Samsung phone in the Tesla? Thinking of getting one, but need to know it works reasonably well.
I can't answer your question specifically, but in general wireless charging is very dependent on coil alignment. The problem with an arrangement like the MY has is that the coil position in the phone rest is fixed so how well it charges any particular phone is dependent on that phone's construction.

The best I can suggest is to either find a friend with the phone in question or to stop by a cell phone store and see if they'll let you take one out to your MY to check.

Reactions: Sixfootwo
I have a Samsung S22 Ultra and it barely fits. I have to use a very compact case. I initially had an Otterbox case and it was too big for the wireless charger space. I think the S22 Ultra is their largest phone so the others should work fine. The S22 Ultra does charge okay with a slim case. If you buy it from Best Buy, you can return it without a problem. If you buy it from a phone vendor, I'd expect they would provide one to test.

I have a Model Y. Has anyone any experience of using a wireless Samsung phone in the Tesla? Thinking of getting one, but need to know it works reasonably well.
I have a 2021 model Y and I use the wireless charger quite frequently with my Galaxy Fold3, just updated a couple of days ago to Galaxy Fold4. It charges very reliably, though not very fast, with the phone in a plastic shell case. The phone does have to be folded so that it's shaped like a normal smartphone, because there's a vertical ridge running through the center of the Tesla dual charging pad.

It works every time by setting the phone into the driver side of the charging pad and sliding it to the right so that it rests against the ridge. There's a soft double bloop sound a second or two later to confirm that it's charging.

If you want me to test it with a different Samsung phone, the ones I have available in the family are a Samsung S22 Ultra, a Note 20 Ultra and a Note 9. All of these have clear shell cases attached. But @bicar already confirmed that the S22 Ultra works as long as the case isn't too tall for it to fit.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro. I had to buy a new case before the wireless charging would work. Since I’ve gotten the new case it works fine.
Hey, Loaner-

Fellow “potato” here in Idaho. 🤣

I, too, have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and I am experiencing issues with the efficacy of the wireless phone charger in my 2023 Model Y. My phone charges SOMETIMES on the driver side but NEVER on the passenger side, nor does my wife’s iPhone 12 Pro Max charge.

WE BOTH HAVE CLEAR SPIGEN CASES
(Spigen Ultra Hybrid - Crystal Clear)
NOTE: Both our iPhones charge just fine on our circular Apple Wireless Charger discs.

What case did you move to that you said now works well with the wireless charger in your TESLA? Do you own a new Model Y? Is your new phone case clear?

Thanks!

I have iPhone 12 Pro and it’s very inconsistent. Charges then stops frequently. Won’t go caseless, but it will charge more consistently upside down but then if I need to look at the screen what good is that? Also heats the phone more than it charges as the charger in its functionality is slow. I stopped using it, and actually placed a spacer in the spot so it won’t “charge” my work phone and just heat it up.

Welp, guess I'm making a service call...
I already had the service call. Tech placed two iPhones he had on my existing wireless charger with Otterbox phone cases installed, and both charged just fine. My Spigen clear case isn’t cutting it. I’m either going to get an Apple MagSafe clear case or a clear Otterbox case. The tech even offered to change out my wireless charger for a new one, but we both agreed that would be pointless.

I already had the service call. Tech placed two iPhones he had on my existing wireless charger with Otterbox phone cases installed, and both charged just fine. My Spigen clear case isn’t cutting it. I’m either going to get an Apple MagSafe clear case or a clear Otterbox case. The tech even offered to change out my wireless charger for a new one, but we both agreed that would be pointless.
IIRC, you can take the entire charging platform out fairly easily. It might be worth bringing it inside and plugging it in to a USB C charging block so you can play around a bit. My guess is the charger works but people’s phones are either positioned poorly and/or their case is too thick.

I’ve said this before, but wireless charging can be very picky when it comes to aligning the coils (i.e. how the phone is positioned on the stand) and how thick your case is. The problem with a charging shelf like Tesla has is it essentially gives no flexibility in how your position your phone, so if the coil in the phone doesn’t line up well enough it just won’t work. Even if it says your phone is charging, poor positioning can significantly limit the power transfer. (Then there’s FSD deciding to take a curve a bit fast and causing your phone to slide over 5 mm…)

If you have an iPhone, Apple’s MagSafe system reduces these issues by using magnets to ensure proper alignment. Unfortunately I haven’t seen any MagSafe chargers for Tesla.

IIRC, you can take the entire charging platform out fairly easily. It might be worth bringing it inside and plugging it in to a USB C charging block so you can play around a bit. My guess is the charger works but people’s phones are either positioned poorly and/or their case is too thick.

I’ve said this before, but wireless charging can be very picky when it comes to aligning the coils (i.e. how the phone is positioned on the stand) and how thick your case is. The problem with a charging shelf like Tesla has is it essentially gives no flexibility in how your position your phone, so if the coil in the phone doesn’t line up well enough it just won’t work. Even if it says your phone is charging, poor positioning can significantly limit the power transfer. (Then there’s FSD deciding to take a curve a bit fast and causing your phone to slide over 5 mm…)

If you have an iPhone, Apple’s MagSafe system reduces these issues by using magnets to ensure proper alignment. Unfortunately I haven’t seen any MagSafe chargers for Tesla.
To your point about coil placement, I've laid my Apple AirPods Pro case on wireless charger, but—of course—it slides down to the bottom and the indicator light on my Apple AirPods Pro case never turns ON. Instead, I've opted to charge it with a short, stock Apple USB-C to Apple Lightning cable from the front compartment of my Model Y center console. Works fine for now.

Reactions: sleepydoc