Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Smartphone Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was another thread about this, and from what is said in the press kit, the cables for sale in the tesla shop and the page from the owners manual detailing how to install the cables it doesn't seem that wireless charging is supplied/supported (yet) by Tesla. No doubt it will be simple to put a wireless charger pad in under the insert in the console so not a big deal.

On my Model S, I placed an angled Qi charging stand in the front of the adjustable cupholder area at the base of the console, and shifted the cupholders sides a few notches back. I was able to route the USB cable from the USB ports under the built-in charging dock (which has the Lightning connector for my wife's iPhone) same as the wires are routed for the built-in dock, but just continue the cable forward into the cupholder area since they are not partitioned off underneath. A Qi stand with a circular base worked best since half a cupholder wall nestles it in that spot - made for a clean though not quite built-in solution.

Unfortunately the Model 3 doesn't have that adjustable cupholder area; but perhaps just a wafer-thin Qi charging coil could be placed against the back of the built-in dock area....

Slightly off topic ...

It's not clear from the installation instructions for the charging cables you can buy, where do they plug in at? Are they plugging into the standard USB ports or are there two others beneath the console solely for the charging cables? If they're using the standard ports I'll probably only get one cable for my phone and leave the other one open so different phone types can be charged.

I just love how it wasn't a huge deal to have inductive charging in the Model 3, but since Apple invented it yesterday ( :rolleyes::rolleyes: ) now we'll have 5 new threads about it.

I love Elon's approach to EVs so much more than Apple's approach to consumer electronics.

Elon open-sources patents to promote a mission.

Apple operates in a bubble in which they are the only company to ever create a product that people want.

Slightly off topic ...

It's not clear from the installation instructions for the charging cables you can buy, where do they plug in at? Are they plugging into the standard USB ports or are there two others beneath the console solely for the charging cables? If they're using the standard ports I'll probably only get one cable for my phone and leave the other one open so different phone types can be charged.

It looks like a minor hassle to get to the USB ports with the premium upgrade setup, so you may want to find a short USB extension cable so you can leave the socket end of it poking thru the tray so people can plug in their own cable easily...
Or install a Micro USB cable and keep micro to usb-c and lightning adapters in the glove box.

It looks like a minor hassle to get to the USB ports with the premium upgrade setup, so you may want to find a short USB extension cable so you can leave the socket end of it poking thru the tray so people can plug in their own cable easily...
Or install a Micro USB cable and keep micro to usb-c and lightning adapters in the glove box.
This may be of interest...

Reactions: DÆrik
This may be of interest...

Seems like it would be easy for someone could come up with a magnetic charging pad with a similar form factor to a phone with a female lightning port on the bottom for power that would simply fit into the console dock. No wires. Easily removed for faster direct lightning connection.

Reactions: Cyclone
Seems like it would be easy for someone could come up with a magnetic charging pad with a similar form factor to a phone with a female lightning port on the bottom for power that would simply fit into the console dock. No wires. Easily removed for faster direct lightning connection.

The "gotcha" is that Apple won't let 3rd parties have a lightning "port"/input (or makes it exceedingly difficult). This is why the cases with integrated battery packs use USB to charge the battery pack and output lightning for the phone.

The "gotcha" is that Apple won't let 3rd parties have a lightning "port"/input (or makes it exceedingly difficult). This is why the cases with integrated battery packs use USB to charge the battery pack and output lightning for the phone.

I'm pretty sure vendors can license from Apple via the MFI program. (MFi Program - Wikipedia). I have a battery pack with built in lightning cable for my phone and since it is MFI certified it works like a dream.

It would probably have to be apple.

Just like the only battery case on the market that charges via lightning is the apple charging case, every Qi pad is micro usb.

If you're mainly a solo driver, you can have one micro usb, and one lightning, so you can trade off.

The Mophie magnetic charging pad is similar in size to the 8+.

The wife and I now both have USB-C, so that's what's going up front. I may carry a single micro-USB for the people in back, if I'm feeling magnanimous. :cool:
Seems like there could be a solution that contained an adapter for both android and iPhones.
An lot of third-party Lightning male plugs out there.
Apple makes a female to female adapter for the Apple Pencil which could be incorporated into this type of product. Also have purchased a third-party charger for Apple Pencil which contain female lightning port (see attached images)
2329F614-9F61-4D91-811A-54EF5013D57E.jpeg
BA1ED86C-477A-415F-B89D-71C22B6CF94F.jpeg

Reactions: Cyclone
Seems like there could be a solution that contained an adapter for both android and iPhones.
An off a lot of third-party Lightning male plugs.
An Apple makes a female to female adapter for the Apple Pencil which could be incorporated into this type of product. Also have purchased a third-party charger for Apple Pencil which contain female lightning port (see attached images)
View attachment 250193 View attachment 250194

We don't have any Apple devices, but I'm sure some others on here might be interested.

I'm planning on buying a flat inductive pad for my Galaxy and using it on my M3.
I charge my Galaxy S7 inductively only and it works great. Who wants to use cords anymore?
I wish there was an inductive pad strong enough to mount UNDER the phone tray in the Model 3. That would be the most elegant solution.

I'm pretty sure vendors can license from Apple via the MFI program. (MFi Program - Wikipedia). I have a battery pack with built in lightning cable for my phone and since it is MFI certified it works like a dream.

I think you misunderstood me. Many devices have lightning OUTPUT. Only Apple-manufactured devices generally have lightning INPUT. Now whether this is simply because Apple makes the licensing cost for input prohibitive or if they just don't allow it, I don't know. Though it looks like with the Apple Pencil some 3rd parties have female lightning ports.

I think you misunderstood me. Many devices have lightning OUTPUT. Only Apple-manufactured devices generally have lightning INPUT. Now whether this is simply because Apple makes the licensing cost for input prohibitive or if they just don't allow it, I don't know. Though it looks like with the Apple Pencil some 3rd parties have female lightning ports.

This is incorrect as there are iPhone battery cases that take lightning input on Amazon. I own one and it works fine.

This is incorrect as there are iPhone battery cases that take lightning input on Amazon. I own one and it works fine.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm also happy that I put "generally" they are only available on Apple-manufactured devices and even explicitly mentioned some 3rd Party devices do have it. I wonder why they aren't more prevalent though as using the existing lightning cord on an iPhone or USB (whichever appropriate variant) for an Android phone makes sense for drop in charging cases and stations.

On my Model S, I placed an angled Qi charging stand in the front of the adjustable cupholder area at the base of the console, and shifted the cupholders sides a few notches back. I was able to route the USB cable from the USB ports under the built-in charging dock (which has the Lightning connector for my wife's iPhone) same as the wires are routed for the built-in dock, but just continue the cable forward into the cupholder area since they are not partitioned off underneath. A Qi stand with a circular base worked best since half a cupholder wall nestles it in that spot - made for a clean though not quite built-in solution.

Unfortunately the Model 3 doesn't have that adjustable cupholder area; but perhaps just a wafer-thin Qi charging coil could be placed against the back of the built-in dock area....

Which one do you use?