Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With all the power outages around Louisiana, any word on how EV owners are doing with charging availability.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I evacuated in my tesla from new orleans to houston, charging at the tesla superchargers in Lafayette and Lake Charles. I'm returning Thursday and would appreciate knowing what superchargers are actually working. From the entergy maps if looks like Lake Charles and Lafayette are - has anyone used them post IDA? From the entergy maps can't tell for sure about the baton Rouge supercharger - has anyone used that post IDA. Only interested in what people know for sure, not debates about gas vs EV in evacuations.
They’re both fine; used both lake Charles and Lafayette yesterday. We didn’t get impacted at all by Ida.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I live in southwest Louisiana (Lake Charles area). This is my first hurricane season as a Tesla (LR MY) owner.

I work for a utility company and tomorrow I’m being dispatched to the New Orleans area for recovery. The site I’m going to will have an industrial generator powering the buildings as well as free gasoline for employees.

Does anyone know which superchargers are available between Lafayette and the NOLA area? (I used the ones in Lafayette yesterday, they’re fine). I’m trying to decide if I should drive my Tesla or borrow a gas vehicle.

One thing I worry about is the amount of traffic heading into NOLA (last year it took me 2 extra hours in my Tahoe to get home after Laura). How does stop & go traffic drain the battery? Any advice is welcomed!

I live in southwest Louisiana (Lake Charles area). This is my first hurricane season as a Tesla (LR MY) owner.

I work for a utility company and tomorrow I’m being dispatched to the New Orleans area for recovery. The site I’m going to will have an industrial generator powering the buildings as well as free gasoline for employees.

Does anyone know which superchargers are available between Lafayette and the NOLA area? (I used the ones in Lafayette yesterday, they’re fine). I’m trying to decide if I should drive my Tesla or borrow a gas vehicle.

One thing I worry about is the amount of traffic heading into NOLA (last year it took me 2 extra hours in my Tahoe to get home after Laura). How does stop & go traffic drain the battery? Any advice is welcomed!
The only Supercharger between Lafayette & NOLA appears to be Baton Rouge, and it appears to be up according to ABRP.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stop & go traffic itself, but if there is a significant delay and you are running heavy AC, that could be a concern, but with only 80 or so miles between Baton Rouge & NOLA if you are able to get a good charge in Baton Rouge I don't believe there would be a big problem.

I do wonder if there is the ability for you to plug in to an outlet at the generator-powered site? Granted I'm sure the priority would be on keeping the site's critical power running.

I guess you don’t understand how gas stations in areas that are prone to power outages work.

But more to the point; you seemed to miss what I am saying. A full tank of gas is still a full tank of gas when left sitting for a week or a month.
A fully charged Tesla left sitting for an extended period of time is a Tesla with a dead battery.
Good question, how long will an uncharged tesla keep some charge if it cannot be plugged in But to your point about me not understanding how power outages work I have to disagree with you. I live in South Florida and have been through Andrew, Wilma, and Katrina. My whole town(s) have been without power for a week twice and 4 days for the third. When there is no electricity the gas stations do not have the power to pump gas unless they have a generator. Many gas stations do not have generators or working generators. No internet for those that do have generators so it's all-cash with a limit of like 10 dollars.

Reactions: Rocky_H and RTPEV
I would not say gas owners are in the same boat. Here’s why; gas doesn’t evaporate over the course of a few weeks.

Depending how long the outage lasts there could be a bunch of Tesla bricks in driveways.
Not if you charge at home and have a natural gas generator, like many of us Louisianans do. We were zipping merrily around in our Model 3, looking askance at the mile long gas station lines. Sorry to burst your ICE bubble.

• Disagree
Reactions: DblOSmith and glide
Not if you charge at home and have a natural gas generator, like many of us Louisianans do. We were zipping merrily around in our Model 3, looking askance at the mile long gas station lines. Sorry to burst your ICE bubble.
Your edge case is not bursting my, or anyone else’s, ICE bubble.

The situation you are describing does nothing for 99.9% of people looking to go electric. And isn’t the “mission” mass-market adoption? Or am I missing something?

Do you think that Tesla will setup large portable generators to charge the semis when transporting goods to disaster areas?
They almost certainly will. Well not necessarily generators, but rather mobile megapack powered superchargers that they announced a couple of years ago and can be deployed to areas that need extra power such as evacuation routes and this kind of scenario.