Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wondering what next big firmware update might include

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Sorry for the link bait, but I have no information.
Now that I have your attention though, might as well stay and discuss.

The last big deal update was Autopilot. Summon was half-a-big-deal.

When can we expect to see some major changes in the firmware, and what are we hoping to see?
I know there is a wishlist thread .. but .. hoping this discussion is more about rumors/educated guesses on what we might actually see!!

For instance,
- better UI
- Phone screen mirroring ..

?

For me personally I simply hope to see increasingly reliable Autopilot behavior in the rare "corner cases" which can still trip it up. I hope there is more improvement to come via better algorithms and more time training the neural networks, combined with the use of high precision GPS maps.

I'm not talking new capabilities - but simply more and more reliability. I still see, once in a while, odd behavior - such as diving toward an 18 wheeler tractor trailer as I overtake it one lane to the left (this has happened once in maybe 1000 miles but that's still once too many) and last night I had to take over when autopilot mysteriously crossed over a solid white line on the right hand side of the lane as the road made a sweeping turn to the left.

I use autopilot 100% of the time on freeways and see myself simply as the 'back up' pilot monitoring systems and ready to grab the wheel if autopilot decides to leave the lane - manual steering is starting to feel alien and unsafe to me. Even with its glitches it makes fewer mistakes per mile than I did in the days I had to always be steering myself. And Elon recently told a Norwegian newspaper that the data shows thus far a 50% reduced accident probability when autopilot is switched on.

All the rest of the UI issues I can live with. Autopilot has been the life changing, revolutionary game changer.

Last edited:
^^ all good suggestions. But we haven't really seen any leaks or information pointing to the above... except perhaps incremental improvements to AP. Although IMO we will see a sizable jump only with new hardware.

That said, there is a lot Tesla can improve on, firmware viz. I think JB said that they are working on app mirroring, and it'll be out in a few weeks .. that was a few weeks ago. I'd love to see waze on the 17" screen (and I mean real waze, not that web page waze)

^^ all good suggestions. But we haven't really seen any leaks or information pointing to the above... except perhaps incremental improvements to AP. Although IMO we will see a sizable jump only with new hardware.

That said, there is a lot Tesla can improve on, firmware viz. I think JB said that they are working on app mirroring, and it'll be out in a few weeks .. that was a few weeks ago. I'd love to see waze on the 17" screen (and I mean real waze, not that web page waze)

I think app mirroring won't be as great as people are making it out to be.

1. Apps aren't going to scale to the screen perfectly - expect blurry and ugly zoomed in experiences - especially if you're on an iPhone.

2. Android support might be okay - either using Wifi Display or Google Cast but getting touch input back to the phone will be hit or miss.

3. It is unlikely to work with iPhones - Apple devices can only support AirPlay. While you can reverse engineer the AirPlay protocol it is janky and there is no back channel for touch input to come to the phone. And AirPlay outputs in horizontal resolutions - it won't look right on a vertical screen.

I hope Tesla can pull off magic, but I've built mirroring solutions and it's not great unless you control the source and the sink.

The Tesla phone app is not improving much. I want to open and close windows from the app for the summer months and to be able to schedule charging from the app. Better yet, transmit photos from the front facing camera when charging is interrupted :)
You can't even turn on rear/mirror defrosters from the app (which would be a logical thing to do when pre-heating), so I wouldn't hold my breath on bigger features like camera access;).