Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't let me charge to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not uncommon if you haven’t charged to 100% in a long time. Has happened to me 2-3 times.Try to discharge down below 30% or so once or twice and then back to 100 again, it should recalibrate.

This, exactly. You aren't going to get it any higher until you go through a few full charge cycles. Go ahead and head out on your trip and plan a Supercharger stop at a convenient point.

This is not uncommon if you haven’t charged to 100% in a long time. Has happened to me 2-3 times.Try to discharge down below 30% or so once or twice and then back to 100 again, it should recalibrate.

It has happened to me too but not so sure about the identification of the issue here.

I recently charged to 100%, 306 miles. But then a few days later it got stuck at 98%, 299 miles. So not sure it has anything to do with BMS confusion.

To me it seemed like an issue with it needing a certain charge current to get a session started. If you are too close to the top it can’t get started again.

It seems like a bug to me.

Personally, if I really needed the charge, I would use the heat to draw down to 92% or something and try again.

For me I really wanted those 7 extra miles - needed to get to Vegas (283 miles). Did some drafting and slight slowing to be sure I made it.

Last edited:
Happens to me too - If you open the app - then click Charging - it will start charging again.

Very annoying.

Yeah I found this to be a real bummer when I really wanted those 7 miles and I had no LTE access for the phone or my car! So I knew this might help, but had no such option! Very important to have LTE access for these functions to operate. Bluetooth has insufficient bandwidth :rolleyes:.

I made it though. Just had to draft a bit.

In one of his recent videos or streams, Bjorn Nyland said that the Model 3 will not normally charge again until you drop to 93%. He also said that it will stop at 99%.

THIS!! Thank goodness I saw this thread last night... same issue...was at 94% after being at 100% and it said "charging complete"... I had to drive around and get it under 94% then it allowed me to charge again over 100. Lesson learned on my part... no "rehearse charging" 2 night ahead of a long trip! :):)