Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Finally Tesla has seen how stupid the yoke really is.
Not sure if that's really the story here. I would guess they figured out that the wheel is lower cost (and probably lower warranty repairs!) and I'd guess they have enough data now that people are avoiding buying because they didn't have the option. That's the best sort of change - one that listens to the customer. Sure it took a little while... They even offer retro specifically.

Good news for both Yoke lovers and haters.

Not sure if that's really the story here. I would guess they figured out that the wheel is lower cost (and probably lower warranty repairs!) and I'd guess they have enough data now that people are avoiding buying because they didn't have the option. That's the best sort of change - one that listens to the customer. Sure it took a little while... They even offer retro specifically.

Good news for both Yoke lovers and haters.
Elon specifically said there wouldn’t be a round wheel when asked point blank by MKBHD. It’s no coincidence this coincides with the European release and prior to UK release. I predicted this would happen.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Elon specifically said there wouldn’t be a round wheel when asked point blank by MKBHD. It’s no coincidence this coincides with the European release and prior to UK release. I predicted this would happen.
And now they have one. The best part about Elon - but really Tesla in general - is they change all the time in response to data and feedback. The worst part about Tesla is they change all the time... On net, I think it's a big advantage.

• Funny
Reactions: rhuber
And now they have one. The best part about Elon - but really Tesla in general - is they change all the time in response to data and feedback. The worst part about Tesla is they change all the time... On net, I think it's a big advantage.
Sure. The bigger issue is they waited till they delivered a few cars in Europe to make this change. The lack of foresight here is really something. For Europeans, their just-delivered new cars are already out of date in some ways (rear appliqué, brake calipers, steering wheel option).

This exact wheel existed on the prototype cars. They just decided to make it an option.
Yes - we heard from one of the Tesla lead engineers that he thought they were offering both right up until the end but the 'lead product manager' decided to go Yoke only and make it a big deal. That decision certainly generated a bunch of press... I still love the setup using the model 3 wheel you built and we customized!

Sure. The bigger issue is they waited till they delivered a few cars in Europe to make this change. The lack of foresight here is really something. For Europeans, their just-delivered new cars are already out of date in some ways (rear appliqué, brake calipers, steering wheel option).
Like I said - the best thing is they change stuff all the time. The worst thing is they change stuff all the time.

Reactions: Proppilot
What is different with the EU cars?

When did the brake calipers change, and from what to what?

Last edited:
These changes including improved brakes are not there on the initial EU launch models.
Do we know there are real changes to the brakes? I mean I hope there are - but my guess based on Tesla history is they are just red. Maybe they at least are including performance pads? We have given quite a bit of feedback on this... So far the CCBs have been the answer, but that's not good enough imo.

Wow, I didn’t think we would see the day! The picture doesn’t show the various haptic buttons still required for signals, voice control, horn, etc. I’m not interested without fixes for horn and turns signals too.

Future new cars will allow a choice at purchase.

Unfortunately, the description seems to imply that the buttons are still the interface:
1672974801157.png

Yep. Finally Tesla has seen how stupid the yoke really is.

I'm hoping the capacitance buttons might be next on the chopping block?

Do we know there are real changes to the brakes? I mean I hope there are - but my guess based on Tesla history is they are just red. Maybe they at least are including performance pads? We have given quite a bit of feedback on this... So far the CCBs have been the answer, but that's not good enough imo.
Yes there are real changes to the brakes, aside from color. Says so in the configuration page.

It says this so far:

Higher thermal capability brake calipers
It sounds like something that a marketer wrote, right? The existing calipers are up to the task - we've run them in lapping sessions up to 1500f rotor temps and had zero issues with boiling fluid or flexing etc. The fronts are a good design from Brembo that is used on Ferraris etc. The rears are a electronic design from Mando/Brembo and Tesla that works well for dual use.

The problem is primarily the pads being designed for low friction and maintenance for daily driving that 95%+ of S owners will do. The rotors are not up to race/lapping use, but decent for a street car.