Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, great work Rick and Danal! anticipation continuing to build and eagerly awaiting more video :)In other news:1) Can you confirm that I'll get one of the neopixel control modules that has the flash lead / header please? I think there'll be a bunch of additional tuning ;-)2) Any experienced installers on this side of the US? Bit far to drive over there and I'm not aware of any installer I'd be comfortable with here based on past hatchet jobs I've had done :-(Again thanks for the continuing effort here. Amazing stuff!

Again, great work Rick and Danal! anticipation continuing to build and eagerly awaiting more video :)In other news:1) Can you confirm that I'll get one of the neopixel control modules that has the flash lead / header please? I think there'll be a bunch of additional tuning ;-)2) Any experienced installers on this side of the US? Bit far to drive over there and I'm not aware of any installer I'd be comfortable with here based on past hatchet jobs I've had done :-(Again thanks for the continuing effort here. Amazing stuff!

Due to our "pause" and update, all units will now have update capability. Shouldn't need it... but it will be there if we ever ship an update, or for you to do your own.

Anyone interested in "Do your own thing", I will be publishing the code, probably on Github to make it easy to clone. And, while we are talking about that, if you are doing AVR or Arduino development and have not yet discovered "Codebender", give it a try. It is an online development environment that I'm finding VERY useful.

And, if you use the exact link above to sign up, I get karma on Codebender itself. Ahhhh.... meaningless internet points!!!

Danal tells me we'll have the new single letter board and revised controller next week (in the test version on Danal, my, and SUPRKAR's cars each letter is a separate PCB with connecting wires, which makes them prone to problems). The single letter board eliminates the wiring between letters. We'll be testing the new boards and controllers for three or four days and if all works as planned we'll begin shipping orders the week of May 4.

The installation instructions should be completed by the weekend.

Due to our "pause" and update, all units will now have update capability. Shouldn't need it... but it will be there if we ever ship an update, or for you to do your own.

Anyone interested in "Do your own thing", I will be publishing the code, probably on Github to make it easy to clone. And, while we are talking about that, if you are doing AVR or Arduino development and have not yet discovered "Codebender", give it a try. It is an online development environment that I'm finding VERY useful.

And, if you use the exact link above to sign up, I get karma on Codebender itself. Ahhhh.... meaningless internet points!!!

Great stuff! Thanks (again :))

Danal tells me we'll have the new single letter board and revised controller next week (in the test version on Danal, my, and SUPRKAR's cars each letter is a separate PCB with connecting wires, which makes them prone to problems). The single letter board eliminates the wiring between letters. We'll be testing the new boards and controllers for three or four days and if all works as planned we'll begin shipping orders the week of May 4.

The installation instructions should be completed by the weekend.

Again, thank you.

A quick status update:

As you've seen spread across a number of posts, we had reliability problems with early shipments. In reality, we only ever put 3 appliques on cars. Mine, Artsci's and one other (who will remain anonymous so that people waiting won't lynch them). The original design used a board behind each letter. The interconnects between these boards did not hold up to the weather and vibration in a car.

IMG_2668.JPG

After trying to make the interconnects more reliable, we finally made the decision to switch to one long board that spans all five letters. As of 24 Mar 2015, those have been designed, checked, released to fabrication, built, shipped, and I expect to receive the first batch on Monday 27 Mar 2015. At that time, we'll do the neopixel fabrication, place appliques on the same three cars, and assure that we've solved the reliability problem. I don't have any photos of the new boards yet, so here is a view from the CAD software that we use to design circuit boards:

Tesla Long.PNG

During this same pause, we took the opportunity to perfect a few things in the system controller and system software:

Hardware wise, we've switched from "screw terminals" to attach the wires to a "molex connector" that's very much like any other connector in your car. A locking plastic plug. The system controller will use the connector shown below; the install kit will contain the matching plastic shell, and crimp-on pins for the ends of the wires.

38744FL.gif

Also in the hardware, I switched the exact model of processor module I'm using to one that contains a USB connector for code updates. The previous one required a small adapter. We don't plan to ship code updates... but if we do, the connector is there and waiting. Also, this will allow anyone who wants to write their own code for the controller to do so. Of course, this will all be hidden away inside the plastic case. Only a small hole will give access to the Mini-B USB port. If we ever ship code updates, we will provide a "click here" file. If you want to roll your own, you will need an AVR or Arduino IDE.

adafruit_products_2000_top_ORIG.jpg

Software wise, we picked up a couple of small suggestions. Adding a mode for charging that shows all letters of TESLA in Green. Adding a brake light mode to scroll center out. And, one that I'm working on during the delay, but still can't fully promise either way (until I figure a couple of things out): A "Timeout" while "Parked" that causes the module to automatically switch to (your choice of) immediate displays.

Given board ship time, and a bit of testing to verify we've really solved the reliability problem, we should be volume shipping in the first half of May.

That's it for now... one reason I'm writing is because this is your final, final, final chance to get those ideas in!!

Last edited:
Wow, that's incredible! I love that you guys are sharing all the details with us!

Out of curiosity, what are the new rectangles near some of the LED clusters? Capacitors?

You mentioned that you're adding a mode for charging... how are you managing to detect charging? Are you just leaving an input open for a inductive current detector that could be wrapped around the interior charging cable?

Thanks so much for your continued work!

Rob

Thanks for the update Danal! I'm really happy to see the USB port make it onto the module. I wonder if there's a place we can fish through a USB cable to keep it in a place that can be easily accessed without having to take all the body panels off. I just like the peace of mind of knowing that a software issue can be corrected after the fact. Would you be willing to put your code on a GIT repository somewhere so others can look at it and perhaps contribute improvements over time to it?

Thanks for the update Danal! I'm really happy to see the USB port make it onto the module. I wonder if there's a place we can fish through a USB cable to keep it in a place that can be easily accessed without having to take all the body panels off. I just like the peace of mind of knowing that a software issue can be corrected after the fact. Would you be willing to put your code on a GIT repository somewhere so others can look at it and perhaps contribute improvements over time to it?

If you mount the controller with Velcro in the liftgate area behind the left handle it will be easily accessible for a USB connection.

Great work guys. I'm very impressed with the install guide too. And that new board, OMG, wow! Its like its right off a professional well established company product shelf.

And in honour of such great work and going beyond my wildest expectations, I vote that we take them both out for a spectacular dinner during TMC connect as a small token of thanks if they are both willing and attending. I'm willing to volunteer and coordinate if they are interested.

Very nice work!

Are you still taking pre-orders, or is that closed?

Closed until we can fulfill the 31 orders we already have. I'm guessing it will reopen in about 6 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Great work guys. I'm very impressed with the install guide too. And that new board, OMG, wow! Its like its right off a professional well established company product shelf.

And in honour of such great work and going beyond my wildest expectations, I vote that we take them both out for a spectacular dinner during TMC connect as a small token of thanks if they are both willing and attending. I'm willing to volunteer and coordinate if they are interested.

Offer accepted Paul:) I'll be driving cross country with the east coast group. So this time, happily, I'll be there with my own car. Don't know about Danal but as he's in Texas it's a shorter trip for him. As we've never met in person I hope he'll be there.

Wow, that's incredible! I love that you guys are sharing all the details with us!

Out of curiosity, what are the new rectangles near some of the LED clusters? Capacitors?

You mentioned that you're adding a mode for charging... how are you managing to detect charging? Are you just leaving an input open for a inductive current detector that could be wrapped around the interior charging cable?

Thanks so much for your continued work!

Rob

Yes, the squares are NeoPixels and the rectangles are capacitors. They are not really all that 'tall', the 3D view in the Circuit board software is not very accurate about package height.

Regarding charging, I should clarify: We DO NOT have a way to sense charging, yet. The module has an input for it, if we ever figure it out, and any charging display can be turned on via the Bluetooth interface.

- - - Updated - - -

If you mount the controller with Velcro in the liftgate area behind the left handle it will be easily accessible for a USB connection.

The code will be on Github or similar. See Artsci's comment about trim removal for accessing the controller, and to extend that remark: If you ever want to access the controller, just pull the left handle. No other trim removal required.

This is something Tesla Motors should seriously consider adding as an feature, possibly in the "Tech Package".

And if they ever do this, they should pay you guys a handsome fee for your IP in creating this.

I'm in awe of the engineering going into this thing. Just WOW.

I take no credit for the electronics -- all credit there is due Danal. His involement raised this to a whole other level.

On the production side we're hoping to work with an incubator lab in Philadelphia that has all of the necessary hardware for volume production -- 3D printers, water jet, PCB fab, etc. But that's a long way off. In the interim this will all be production by hand -- Danal making the electronics and me installing them on the appliques, waterproofing, and shipping.

The bottleneck will be obtaining new appliques from Tesla. I got three more this morning and I have a standing order for another bunch. But once we ship and installations begin the core returns should ease the applique supply concern somewhat.

Closed until we can fulfill the 31 orders we already have. I'm guessing it will reopen in about 6 weeks.
- - - Updated - - -
Offer accepted Paul:) I'll be driving cross country with the east coast group. So this time, happily, I'll be there with my own car. Don't know about Danal but as he's in Texas it's a shorter trip for him. As we've never met in person I hope he'll be there.

Danal, are you coming to TMC Connect in July?
Note: created a thread for this in TMC Connect.
Lighted rear appliqué with special effects - appreciation dinner with creators