Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Kaneda - thanks a lot for your feedback ! I will get my 85D on June 11th. I once talked to the Tesla Service center about the rear lighted T and they said that this most likely would not be allowed in Switzerland.... But I think the possibility of the police giving me a fine for this is rather low. So did you order the lift gate appliqué aready ? will you install it yourself or are you getting it done by a shop ?

With the applique, you do have the option to have it do nothing as you are driving. Or just light up steadily and at appropriate brightness with parking lights, or with parking and brake.

For example, if you configured:

RTOFF
LTOFF
RVOFF
BROFF
TLON

The applique would be lit only with the "Tail Lights".

There are many other possible configurations.

And... having said all of that... were I you, I would personally read the "Motor Vehicle Code" (or equivalent) for Switzerland. Most of what people tell you about MVCs is absolutely incorrect. :)

Danal - Thanks for your feedback ! I checked the code (what I could find) and it seems that all changes to the original lighting need to be approved. But then again - I could just activate it when the brake is applied and then even dim it down some more if that's possible. I guess once the instructions are ready I'll have to take them to a tuning garage in the area to ask them. They sure know what's passable and what's not . Thanks for your help !

Danal - Thanks for your feedback ! I checked the code (what I could find) and it seems that all changes to the original lighting need to be approved. But then again - I could just activate it when the brake is applied and then even dim it down some more if that's possible. I guess once the instructions are ready I'll have to take them to a tuning garage in the area to ask them. They sure know what's passable and what's not . Thanks for your help !

Technically thats the law here in the US as well but a) how would they know and b) would they really enforce it?

Technically thats the law here in the US as well but a) how would they know and b) would they really enforce it?

I've been driving around with mine lit up all of the time. Passed the police at least a dozen times in the past week, at all kinds of speeds. Nothing. They're not going to stop you for this. In fact it's likely they'll believe the car came this way.

Danal - I agree with you : ) over here I have to bring the car into inspection every 3 years. Would I be able to disable the lights totally for such an inspection ?

- - - Updated - - -

artsi - I agree : ) once I have the instructions I will make sure a shop in my area is willing to do it and then I'll place my order. do you know how much the shipping to switzerland is ?

Danal - I agree with you : ) over here I have to bring the car into inspection every 3 years. Would I be able to disable the lights totally for such an inspection ?

- - - Updated - - -

artsi - I agree : ) once I have the instructions I will make sure a shop in my area is willing to do it and then I'll place my order. do you know how much the shipping to switzerland is ?

Please PM me your address and I'll get an estimate.

Also, I realized the feature list had grown so large that some of the commands conflict with each other, and so does some of the internal code behind these commands. Furthermore, the control processor (Atmel 328P) was running out of program storage (aka 'flash'). Therefore, I'm taking a very short pause to re-structure the commands and code. The highest release shipped to a customer so far is R2.3. I've jumped to R3.0 to denote the re-structure. As I type this, I've already coded past two major milestones... the rest is just cleanup. Specifically, I have:

1) Cleaned up the syntax of all the commands to de-conflict everything and become consistent (See Below). This actually takes as much time as the code, and has to be done first.

2) Coded a module that can "fade" any color. Previously, I was doing internal math specific to "White" for the "fade TESLA to S" and specific to "Red" for the Kittscrolling and all similar effects. In other words, I was cheating with "hard-coding" stuff.

Writing a truly generic module that allows any color to be specified, and correctly fade, was something that I've been putting off... because I couldn't figure it out!! Finally got several hours of un-interrupted time this morning, and came up with a technique. For the truly geeky, here's the solution, combining floating point trig with bitshifting of individual RGB color values sliced out of the underlying 24 bit color value (which is, in turn, carried in a 32 bit integer):

void modelS1Lights()
{
if((loopMillis - prevFrameTime) >= 2) // This code runs once every X milliseconds to fade the letters other than S
{
prevFrameTime = loopMillis;
uint8_t tmp = (128 + 127 * cos(2 * PI / PERIOD * loopMillis));
for(int now = 0; now < NUMLETTERS; now++) if (now != 2) setLetterColor(now, TESLA.Color((((uint8_t)(diScolor >> 16) & 0xFF) * tmp)>>8, (((uint8_t)(diScolor >> 8) & 0xFF) * tmp)>>8, ((uint8_t)(diScolor & 0xFF) * tmp)>>8));
setLetterColor(2, diScolor);
TESLA.show();
}
}

And, for the de-conflicted commands, here's my internal notes... if these make no sense to you, no worries, there will be a full document (like this one) coming soon:

Config Commands
FR Factory Reset entire config, and reboot.
TL[ON|OFF] Tail Light
RT[ON|OFF] Right Turn light
LT[ON|OFF] Left Turn light
BR[ON|OFF][Centerout|Steady|blinkG|blinkConstant|Flash=blinkconstant] BRake light
RV[ON|OFF][Centerout|Steady|modelsFade|Kittscroll]|[RRGGBB]ReVerse light
CH[ON|OFF][teslaEat|Centerout|Steady|modelsFade|Kittscroll]|[RRGGBB] CHarge light. Factory default color bright green (hex 00FF00)

AD[ON|OFF][modelsFade|Kittscroll|Charge|Randomdisco] Auto Display

TT[nnn] Turn Trim

PD Pin Display
PS[nnnn] Pin Set
ND Name Display
NS[xxxxxxx] Name Set

Colors held in configuration:

Color for Charge
Color for Reverse
Note: Color for Tail is always LIGHT RED (hex 200000) and this cannot be changed.
Note: Color for Brake/Right Turn/Left Turn is always BRIGHT RED (hex FF0000) and this cannot be changed.

Immediate Commands
RB ReBoot
FM Free Memory
CV Code Version
CS Config Show
OF OFf
GS G Sensor
DI[modelsFade[RRGGBB]|Kittscroll[RRGGBB]|Charge|Randomdisco[nnn]] Display Immediate

Colors set for Display Immediate (not kept across power cycles):

Color for S (modelS)
Color for K (Kitt scroll)

Other colors used in Display Immedite commands:
Color for C (Charge) is determined by configuration of CH command
Color for R (Random Disco) is, well, it is random!

Shortcut Commands
TF = DIFFFFFFF
KS = DIKFF0000

Danal,
Looking forward to the Auto command. Let me know if I could help test.
I'd also like to see a static TESLA display for when parked. A bit lower key.
You and Artsci have done a terrific job!

Ooooh! Good Point! That was actually the underlying reason I changed "modelSfade" to "modelsFade" (changed S to F in the command set) so that "S" for "Steady" would be available (and be consistent across commands like BRONS for BRake ON Steady)... and then I forgot to put "S" in the notes!!!! THANKS!!! Always helps to have another set of eyes.

Auto display is what happens when parked. So, ADONS would achieve what you want, and the prior DISRRGGBB would have set the color, like DISFFFFFF for bright white, or DIS200000 for dim red (similar to parking lights) or whatever you wish. My wife likes DIS800080 which is a nice medium purple. And/or match to your car color...

DI[Steady|modelsFade[RRGGBB]|Kittscroll[RRGGBB]|Charge|Randomdisco[nnn]] Display Immediate

AD[ON|OFF][Steady|modelsFade|Kittscroll|Charge|Randomdisco] Auto Display

Last edited:
My install is done!

link to dropbox word document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq5xrfpvy0y6837/applique v1.docx?dl=0

Regards,
Zane

Great post Zane. This will be very helpful to others who want to do the installation themselves.

DavidB got his installed and managed to drive all the way from Florida to Hagerstown Maryland for the MeetUp event there last evening. We all went out to dinner after the event so I got a chance to follow David to the restaurant and see the appliqué in action at night. I was able to observe all of the driving functions -- turn signals, brakes, running, and reverse. I was blown away, even though I was familiar with what to expect.

R3.0 should be out in about a week. If anyone on R2.3 wants 2.4 (which is a tiny bit better, but still far from perfect) and is comfortable with the following procedure, have at it!

Prepare:

1) From this link download the zip file for R24.

2) Unzip the file, and put the "R24-TeslaApplique" directory somewhere you can find it later.

3) Remove the controller from your car.

4) Open the controller via four screws on top. Save the black foam piece. Remove the board from the case.

5) Attach a Micro-B USB cable to the controller and a Windows 7 or higher PC.

The green light MUST come on and stay on. The red light may do any number of things. If the green light does not come on, check cables, PC, etc.

Update:

1) Click the reset button. This is a small black button on the opposite end of the sub-board from the USB connector. Thumbnail is good way to click it. DO NOT USE A PENCIL. The graphite (lead) will cause problems later. DO NOT USE A METAL OBJECT, you can damage the board.

After the click, the RED light MUST enter a "Pulsing" state. "Pulsing" means smoothly varying in brightness about once or twice a second. NOT flashing... pulsing. It may only pulse for about 8 seconds. This is OK. If it stops, click reset again.

Sometimes these controller boards are a little cranky. If you can't get the red light to pulse, try clicking reset again, unplug/re-plug cables, etc.

2) With the red light pulsing, run the "BurnHexUSB.bat" file. Double click on it.

Correct response is for a black window to open on the PC and scroll a bunch of messages. When everything is working, several progress bars will appear and grow. They are made of pound/hash marks, like this: ######### At the same time, the red light on the board may flicker, pulse, go on, go off, or do nearly anything.

If everything works, the black window will close itself. If it stays open, read any error messages, then close it and try again.

As mentioned, these boards can be cranky. If something fails, try again, several times.

Finish:

1) Unplug the USB from the board.

2) Re-Assemble the board and case. Don't forget the black foam. It holds the board down; it keeps the power supply from rattling around (and helps close the opening where the connector sits).

3) Re-install in car and test. Turn signals are a nice test if you are working alone.

Notes:

PC only for now. Mac support coming later.

This is NOT REQUIRED. Play with it if you want. R3.0 coming soon.