Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the latest list of those who've want this modification when it's available. Again, if I've left you off please post on this thread.

NoMoGas
suprkar
swegman
FLDarren
Btrflyl8e
AMPUP
Zax123
kseitzberg
Shumdit
NJ Plugin
Jason
Aaron
kseitzberg
JPP
Denarius
DavidB
Brightonuk
Zextraterrestrial
Danal
Doug Darby
Jhall118
artsci
najeeb
delanman

Last edited:
Checked out the beta letter inserts for the lighted applique this morning at PCS Engineering, the firm doing the work. They had to print the letters in 3D several times to get a perfect fit. The T and E are finished and the others will be completed today. Each letter has a thin flat back, as show in the photo below. This will lock them in place and prevent water incursion. The letters also replicate the raised effect on the original applique. While it’s not a great photo (taken with my phone) one of the photos shows the dimensionality of the letters from the surface of the applique.

We won’t be producing the production letters via 3D printing. Instead PCS will use the final 3D printed letters to make a mold for casting the letters in acrylic resin. This will make the letters more durable and less expensive. It will also make it possible to cast them in different colors.

Our plan is to cast them in clear with a sandblasted surface, which will diffuse the light and reduce pixilation effects from the LED neopixels. For those who may want it (and consistent with our original concept) we’ll also offer an option for casting them in translucent red.

By the end of next week we should have 20 sets of letters cast in clear and 5 sets in red. This will enable us to meet initial production demand. Another 12 appliques go to the shop next week for the letters to be cut out.

So while we’re a little behind schedule, all the necessary steps leading up to full production should be completed with 2 weeks. I couldn’t be more pleased with the recent progress and where we are with the quality and features of the final product.

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

Last edited:
All of the letters have now been made and successfully test fitted. The molds will be made tomorrow or Wednesday and castings of the letters ready by the end of the week, so I should have two completed appliqués to ship to Danal over the weekend. He'll do his neopixel magic with them and hopefully produce two fully functional prototypes next week for installation on his and my cars. We're very close:biggrin:

When this program is flowing is it going to be an "exchange" program where you send in your applique to be converted or send it back after the new one comes? Or... you just end up with a spare Stock applique?
just curious...

Yes, the plan is to do an exchange. You buy for the full price and get a rebate when you return your stock appliqué in like-new condition. The appliqué is about $150 from Tesla so that will be its exchange value (less the cost of replacement double-sided tape -- about $10), again assuming it's in like-new condition. This will substantially reduce the number of new appliqués that we have to acquire from Tesla.