Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put me on the list then. :biggrin:

Noted and added to my list.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to Danal for all of the very creative work he's done!! I'm so pleased he got involved and at the perfect moment as well.

BTW, I received the LED panels yesterday. They're very bright and will be easy to mount, but given the additional mounting and display capabilities the neopixels give us, we'll definitely be using Danal's neopixel design to light the TESLA letters on the appliqué.

I now have some spare LED panels (only 2mm thick) to use other ways (think I'm going to use them replace the standard led strips I currently use to light the frunk and trunk. Compared to the LED panels, LED strips now seem so old school.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have some spare LED panels (only 2mm thick) to use other ways (think I'm going to use them replace the standard led strips I currently use to light the frunk and trunk. Compared to the LED panels, LED strips now seem so old school.
What kind of panels are these? Do you have a link to share?

I am looking into options for lighting the trunk in my soon to come new car since I opted out of the premium interior package.

Please add me to your list.

BTW, how does the issue of moisture accumulating behind the clear lens for the backup lights affect the mod (deinstall, reinstall, etc)? I have personally had my appliqué redone 3 times and still get moisture behind this lens.

I trust that once you get the mods done a few times you will post a video/instruction manual. FWIW, I have removed and reinstalled my top inside hatch and side inside hatch trim to install my rear camera for my Blackvue dash cam, but was a bit afraid to pull the bottom trim (seemed a bit hard to do at the time). I assume that there will be some blue clips holding it that will invariably break and need to be replaced.

Thanks to you and Daniel for all of your hard work.

Please add me to your list.

BTW, how does the issue of moisture accumulating behind the clear lens for the backup lights affect the mod (deinstall, reinstall, etc)? I have personally had my appliqué redone 3 times and still get moisture behind this lens.

I trust that once you get the mods done a few times you will post a video/instruction manual. FWIW, I have removed and reinstalled my top inside hatch and side inside hatch trim to install my rear camera for my Blackvue dash cam, but was a bit afraid to pull the bottom trim (seemed a bit hard to do at the time). I assume that there will be some blue clips holding it that will invariably break and need to be replaced.

Thanks to you and Daniel for all of your hard work.

Added to list.

We can't promise that the moisture problem will go away as it appears to be related to leakage through the double faced tape Tesla uses to attach the appliqué.

We will have an installation video and written instructions with photos.

The blue clips do break and several will need to be replaced. We'll have a recommended inexpensive source for those. Removing the large hatch trim piece is not difficult once you know the right procedures -- they'll be covered in the instructions,

Last edited:
Danal and I talked last night to iron out plans and schedules. Based our discussion we think these will begin shipping in March, likely late in the month. We'll take deposits for pre-production orders as soon as we have a fully functioning prototype. We expect that to occur the week of February 24. As noted in an earlier post we expect to have 3 or 4 fully functional prototypes available for installation in March at an installation meet for owners at the Hamilton, NJ supercharger.

As this is largely a labor of love, production of the appliqués will require considerable handwork by both
Danal and me, at least initially. It's just the nature of the beast:) That will have an impact on the anticpated schedule. There may eventually be economies of scale but they won't come until later. We think the price will come in around $600 with variations relating to a few factors that are unknown at the moment, such as the cost of design and printing of the 3D letter inserts.

Everyone should know that Danal will also be developing a smartphone IOS and Android app for remote control of the appliqué lighting functions.

We will have an exchange program for everyone's original appliqué but the credit for returning a used appliqué will require that it be in "as new" condition, with no scratches or damage of any kind. We know many of us keep our cars in pristine condition, so we're hoping this will considerably reduce the need for us to purchase new appliqués from Tesla and thus speed our ability fulfull orders on a timely basis.

Finally each buyer will be required to sign an agreement whereby he or she accepts responsibility for installations that do not comply with state or local laws.

Here's the list of those who've expressed an intention to purchase the appliqué when it's available. If I've left you off or mistakenly included you, please post here. Having the list is important to our obtaining adequate supplies of materials to meet demand, particularly the appliqués.

NoMoGas
suprkar
swegman
FLDarren
Btrflyl8e
AMPUP
Zax123
kseitzberg
Shumdit
NJ Plugin

Najeeb

Aaron (the source of the original idea)
kseitzberg
JPP
Denarius
DavidB
Brightonuk
Zextraterrestrial

Last edited:
Oh good, I was wondering why someone hates Georgia!

This is all very exciting, I'm glad we have such creative people in our virtual community. I will finally have some "bling" on MY car instead of always having to live vicariously through FLDarren, who up to now has lit up, blacked out, or covered in carbon fiber nearly every part of his car!

Just learned today that I'll be able to obtain 5 more appliqués by next week. So with the 2 I have on hand, the 7 that have already had the letters cut out, and the 5 coming, we'll be able to make a total of 14 to start. Based on the list, that should enable us to meet initial demand for all but 4.

I have a shipment of electronics arriving today (Thu, Feb 12 2015) that will allow me to build 10 units in a "V1.0" configuration.

I plan to build two units of this exact configuration, one each for Artsci's car and my car* and then take a short pause. This is to ensure there are no last minute issues before building the others. This all alignes with having units at the March gathering that Artsci mentioned above, and then expanding into more shipments.

More to come as things progress... :)

* When my car arrives, I received email that it is halfway through production as of this AM, and web site shows "February". So this is all lining up timing wise, at least roughly.

I guess I better get on the list too if possible?

GREAT news on your Car Danal.... I can hardly wait...

For some reason I can no longer edit the list on this thread below but you have been added to the private list I keep, and that's the one that counts.

I learned today that the shop that cuts out the letters has a minimum charge for the work so it will pay to add another 4 to the 6 I plan to have done in a few weeks. That will take us to the total that we need to meet demand, at least for now.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I better get on the list too if possible?

GREAT news on your Car Danal.... I can hardly wait...

For some reason I can no longer edit the list on this thread below but you have been added to the private list I keep, and that's the one that counts.

I learned today that the shop that cuts out the letters has a minimum charge for the work so it will pay to add another 4 to the 6 I plan to have done in a few weeks. That will take us to the total that we need to meet demand, at least for now.

Just learned today that I'll be able to obtain 5 more appliqués by next week. So with the 2 I have on hand, the 7 that have already had the letters cut out, and the 5 coming, we'll be able to make a total of 14 to start. Based on the list, that should enable us to meet initial demand for all but 4.

Obtained a source for the other 4 today, so we'll end up with 20 in the first run, but not all available at once.