Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the plan is to do an exchange. You buy for the full price and get a rebate when you return your stock appliqué in like-new condition. The appliqué is about $150 from Tesla so that will be its exchange value (less the cost of replacement double-sided tape -- about $10), again assuming it's in like-new condition. This will substantially reduce the number of new appliqués that we have to acquire from Tesla.

So... a $150.00 Core charge. Genius move :)

Yes, a core charge is what it's called. And it's an incentive for very careful removal of the stock appliqué:) We'll provide instructions for that. Also the shipping tube we ship the lighted appliqué in can be used for return of the original. We'll also provide a prepaid shipping label for return of the original. All of that will be calculated in the value of the core rebate.

Last edited:
Yes, a core charge is what it's called. And it's an incentive for very careful removal of the stock appliqué:) We'll provide instructions for that. Also the shipping tube we ship the lighted appliqué in can be used for return of the original. We also provide a prepaid shipping label for return of the original. All of that will be calculated in the value of the core rebate.

Excellent planning & execution. Can't wait....

Question: Probably a dumb one. I like the general idea but may not want 'all' the different effects (and may not be legal in Delaware to use some of them). How individually programmable is the system. Personally I like the 'back up/brake/fade to 's' effect' and would probably pass on the rest.

Thanks.................Great collaboration on this project guys..!:wink:

All of the letters have now been made and successfully test fitted. The molds will be made tomorrow or Wednesday and castings of the letters ready by the end of the week, so I should have two completed appliqués to ship to Danal over the weekend. He'll do his neopixel magic with them and hopefully produce two fully functional prototypes next week for installation on his and my cars. We're very close:biggrin:

The software has been done for some time. Just doing final tweaks based on people's input and desires. The hardware is coming together quite nicely. The modules went together with minimal hassle. I am still finalizing the mounting of the neopixels, and will "Final Final" the neopixels when I have appliqués with letter inserts in hand.

As artsci said, we are getting close.

Danal

P.S. My P85D made it from California to the local service center TODAY (Fri 2/27), if all goes well I will pick it up on Monday 3/2.

- - - Updated - - -

Question: Probably a dumb one. I like the general idea but may not want 'all' the different effects (and may not be legal in Delaware to use some of them). How individually programmable is the system. Personally I like the 'back up/brake/fade to 's' effect' and would probably pass on the rest.

Thanks.................Great collaboration on this project guys..!:wink:

Out of the box, tail/brake/reverse/Lturn/Rturn are enabled. If you don't want one of these "basic" behaviors, don't hook up the input wire for that specific behavior.

The "extra" behaviors, meaning those not directly tied to an existing light on the car, like the "fade to S", those are all configured on/off via Bluetooth from a smartphone*. Your choice.

Danal

*Bluetooth 4.0 or above required. Any smartphone made in the last few years. Specifically, iPhone 5 or above. Android... you'd have to check the spec sheet for the individual phone. Look for BT 4.0 or BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).

The software has been done for some time. Just doing final tweaks based on people's input and desires. The hardware is coming together quite nicely. The modules went together with minimal hassle. I am still finalizing the mounting of the neopixels, and will "Final Final" the neopixels when I have appliqués with letter inserts in hand.

Danal

P.S. My P85D made it from California to the local service center TODAY (Fri 2/27), if all goes well I will pick it up on Monday 3/2.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of the box, tail/brake/reverse/Lturn/Rturn are enabled. If you don't want one of these "basic" behaviors, don't hook up the input wire for that specific behavior.

The "extra" behaviors, meaning those not directly tied to an existing light on the car, like the "fade to S", those are all configured on/off via Bluetooth from a smartphone*. Your choice.

Danal

*Bluetooth 4.0 or above required. Any smartphone made in the last few years. Specifically, iPhone 5 or above. Android... you'd have to check the spec sheet for the individual phone. Look for BT 4.0 or BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).

Thanks Danal.

Artsci, would you please add me to the list. Thanks Al

Danal

- - - Updated - - -

Danal

Danal

I was wondering about the charging. Is there a wire we can use if we want to trigger a charging (Pulse green) using a 12 volt signal. I was going to add an amp clamp on my charging wire with a relay to trigger 12v to the module.

Thanks Danal.

Artsci, would you please add me to the list. Thanks Al

Al, you've been added.

Work on the letter inserts has been delayed by a few days owing to the fact that the guy working on them as been ill and missed a few days. We're hoping they'll be at the point where castings can be made by the end of next week. The goal is to have two operating prototypes finished by the middle of March for my and Danal's car. When those have been tested, we'll being taking orders.

As a few costs have not yet been finalized (namely the letter insert development and castings) we still don't have a final price but I think it's safe to assume that it will be in the $600 - $700 range less a core credit of about $150 for return of your stock appliqué in as-new condition (that will be an option as some of you may want to hold on to the stock piece).

One of challenges we face in production speed and delivery of orders will be the time it takes for LAI to do the water jet cutting out of the letters. It's most cost effective to do them in batches of 10. We have only seven that have been completed and another 13 that won't be done for five weeks (order placed last week). So that's going to impact our production and delivery schedule.

Based on this information it now seems that the group installation SUPRKAR and I have been planing for the Hamilton NJ supercharger will be delayed a bit until the beginning of April.

Alright, folks, it is time to finalize the "R1.0" software choices. There have been a lot of suggestions and proposals in this thread. To be clear, NOTHING BEFORE THIS POST APPLIES TO R1.0. In particular, a deep look at wiring diagrams gave us a source of "always on" 12V power in the same connectors must we access to pick up Left Turn and Right Turn. Therefore any speculation about 12V or not, no longer applies, it will always be available to the installer with no extra effort.

I am verifying three things with you:

First, the behaviors "out of the box", assuming that all install instructions are followed (all wires in the instructions are hooked up):

Software Release R1.0 Behavior for TESLA Applique Controller
Tail LightsBrake LightsL
Turn Signal
R
Turn Signal
Reverse LightsResulting Behavior of Logo Applique

TESLA all Med Bright Red, constant, no animation.
Y

Y??
_____, TESLA, all flash together between black (off) and Bright Red. Flash frequency corresponds to "G" force sensed from braking. Note: Not pedal pressure, actual 'de-celleration' of car. Brake overrides turn signal.
YY??
TESLA, TESLA all flash together between Med Bright Red (running lights) and Bright Red. Flash frequency corresponds to "G" force sensed from braking. Note: Not pedal pressure, actual 'de-celleration' of car. Brake overrides turn signal.

Y
_____, T____, TE___, TES__, TESL_ TESLA, then repeat, all Bright Red.

Y

____A, ___LA, __SLA, _ESLA, TESLA, then repeat, all Bright Red
Y

Y
TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, then repeat.
Y
Y

????YWhite Letters: TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, repeats with a longer pause when all are illuminated bright white.
Second, configuration behaviors via a BlueTooth capable phone. These behaviors are "Sticky", they remain in force across power cycles until/unless changed via BlueTooth. The option in (Parentheses) is the 'factory default' or 'out of the box' behavior if you do not choose to change it:

1) When all lights, including "Tail Lights" are off, does logo glow medium bright? Options: (Yes)/No
2) When sequences of Brake Lights, Left Turn, or Right Turn do their flashing thing, AND the "Tail Lights" are ON, does the flashing behavior sequence between Bright Red <> Medium Red, or Bright Red <> Black? Phrased another way, is the dim part of the flashing cycle tail light like, or fully black? Options: (Medium Red)/Black

Other suggestions?

Third, behaviors that are turned on via Bluetooth, that are NOT sticky, and that will end whenever any change in hardwired inputs (reverse, brake, tail, turn) is detected, and/or can be turned off via Bluetooth. Most of these can be seen on the video further up this thread:

1) "TESLA" 'breathe' to "__S__".
2) KnightRider scrolling.
3) "TESLA" "EAT" in green. Intended to be turned on while charging (which we cannot sense at this time, so turn it on via BT when you want). Not in the old video; new video coming soon.
4) Spastic Flasher mode. I think I called it "Random" in the video.

Other suggestions?

I late to this build so I am OK with anything the group wants. My ONLY concern is that we can easy choose to not use certain features that might not be legal or a little 'over the top' for an individual's tastes. This can be Accomplished by not making certain connections....correct ?
thanks

I late to this build so I am OK with anything the group wants. My ONLY concern is that we can easy choose to not use certain features that might not be legal or a little 'over the top' for an individual's tastes. This can be Accomplished by not making certain connections....correct ?
thanks

Yes, the specific functions are the buyer's choice. You can turn off what you don't like by not making the connection to the wire that triggers an event or with your phone with the bluetooth controlled options.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to be added to the list as well. Looks terrific.
Thanks

Added.

Here's the latest list:

1NoMoGas
2suprkar
3swegman
4FLDarren
5Btrflyl8e
6AMPUP
7Zax123
8kseitzberg
9Shumdit
10NJ Plugin
11Jason
12Aaron
13kseitzberg
14JPP
15Denarius
16DavidB
17Brightonuk
18Zextraterrestrial
19Danal
20Doug Darby
21Jhall118
22artsci
23Lloyd
24najeeb
25delanman
26Mackgoo
27tomas
28Paul Carter
29AlMc
30faughtz
31RavynArcadia
- - - Updated - - -

Getting the appliqués is not a problem. Tesla is perfectly willing to sell them to us. Problem is the 6 week lead time for getting the letters cut out -- and the more we do at once the lower the cost of the cut outs.

The best solution is for as many people as possible to order without the core credit for their stock appliqué. That way we can order enough appliqués from Tesla so meet all the initial demand for the first production run and not have to rely on core returns to supply appliqués for future production. So we'll offer this as an ordering option when we put up the order page on the TMC classifieds late next week.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I will definitely answer Danal's request for lighting functions in 1.0 to help out with the selection, but I have another question first. For the programmers amongst us (myself included), will you be willing to give us access to the Arduino code to be able to program in lighting functions that aren't even released in the 1.0 version? I believe you mentioned you were using an Arduino to control the NeoPixels. I haven't looked into how exactly you're doing this, so I'm not sure if access to the Arduino code is even necessary or if entirely new lighting functions can be done via Bluetooth.

I'll read through your lighting function post now and vote for my choices, but I'd really like to be able to program in new ones if possible. Thanks!

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, folks, it is time to finalize the "R1.0" software choices. There have been a lot of suggestions and proposals in this thread. To be clear, NOTHING BEFORE THIS POST APPLIES TO R1.0. In particular, a deep look at wiring diagrams gave us a source of "always on" 12V power in the same connectors must we access to pick up Left Turn and Right Turn. Therefore any speculation about 12V or not, no longer applies, it will always be available to the installer with no extra effort.

I am verifying three things with you:

First, the behaviors "out of the box", assuming that all install instructions are followed (all wires in the instructions are hooked up):

Software Release R1.0 Behavior for TESLA Applique Controller
Tail LightsBrake LightsL
Turn Signal
R
Turn Signal
Reverse LightsResulting Behavior of Logo Applique

Y

Y??
_____, TESLA, all flash together between black (off) and Bright Red. Flash frequency corresponds to "G" force sensed from braking. Note: Not pedal pressure, actual 'de-celleration' of car. Brake overrides turn signal.
YY??
TESLA, TESLA all flash together between Med Bright Red (running lights) and Bright Red. Flash frequency corresponds to "G" force sensed from braking. Note: Not pedal pressure, actual 'de-celleration' of car. Brake overrides turn signal.

Y
_____, T____, TE___, TES__, TESL_ TESLA, then repeat, all Bright Red.

Y

____A, ___LA, __SLA, _ESLA, TESLA, then repeat, all Bright Red
Y

Y
Y
Y

????YWhite Letters: TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, TESLA, repeats with a longer pause when all are illuminated bright white.
Second, configuration behaviors via a BlueTooth capable phone. These behaviors are "Sticky", they remain in force across power cycles until/unless changed via BlueTooth. The option in (Parentheses) is the 'factory default' or 'out of the box' behavior if you do not choose to change it:

1) When all lights, including "Tail Lights" are off, does logo glow medium bright? Options: (Yes)/No
2) When sequences of Brake Lights, Left Turn, or Right Turn do their flashing thing, AND the "Tail Lights" are ON, does the flashing behavior sequence between Bright Red <> Medium Red, or Bright Red <> Black? Phrased another way, is the dim part of the flashing cycle tail light like, or fully black? Options: (Medium Red)/Black

Other suggestions?

Third, behaviors that are turned on via Bluetooth, that are NOT sticky, and that will end whenever any change in hardwired inputs (reverse, brake, tail, turn) is detected, and/or can be turned off via Bluetooth. Most of these can be seen on the video further up this thread:

1) "TESLA" 'breathe' to "__S__".
2) KnightRider scrolling.
3) "TESLA" "EAT" in green. Intended to be turned on while charging (which we cannot sense at this time, so turn it on via BT when you want). Not in the old video; new video coming soon.
4) Spastic Flasher mode. I think I called it "Random" in the video.

Other suggestions?

The ONLY thing I had to suggest is an option while backing up that instead of the inside/out behavior, it does the knight rider sweeping but in bright white instead of in bright red. You've obviously thought out the options and they are all VERY logical. Thanks for doing that.

I do have another question. First of all, I'm super happy you guys found an "always on" 12V. Is it on even when the car is off? Or is it on only when the car is on but even if no lights are on? Was curious about that... I have my front Tesla T glowing on and off ALL the time, even when the car was off. I wanted to do the same thing with the applique and maybe even my rear Tesla T now that the power wire is there (if it's a true always one).

Thanks!

Rob