Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nine NeoPixels on a board to go behind a single letter. The "E" and "S" get these. "T" "L" and "A" have the NeoPixels that would be "hidden" behind the cutout replaced by jumpers.

Bottle cap for scale. The board is about 1 inch square, a little over that wide for the board-board connectors.

TeslaNeoPixelOneLetter.jpg

Oh, and just as an aside, this board is a reject. You can see the pixel furthest from the word "2015" is internally weird. There are a couple of other issues... and that's why, if you zoom in, you'll see solder in the holes and things like that. Just take it as "representative" or "directional". ;)

Last edited:
Wow... lots of wee little wires to solder...

You're not kidding. There's a lot of hand work for both Danal and me in getting these made. It's fun the first few times around but gets old in a hurry. After the fist batches we'll be looking for a way to get these assembled by third parties.

- - - Updated - - -

Artsci: You should get him to take pix of the whole install if he is up for it. He is a very good photographer.

It will be great to have you with us!

Knight Rider scrolling of first prototype Tesla Rear Applique to have fully populated display boards and letter inserts. A few of notes:

1) Upper Rightmost pixel on "A" is out. This is due to incorrect software configuration (and is already fixed)

2) The boards are just taped in. Silicone adhesive planned for production, and this will slightly change the dispersion.

3) The power supply in the background is the actual Volt and Amp drawn by the Applique. In the area of 0.06 for this particular scrolling mode. 60mA.

That is incredible!!

Question. On the video you can see the individual neo pixels. Does the naked eye see them as much?

I'm sure they wouldn't be visible at night. The individual LEDs on both of my lighted Ts are visible during the day, but at night, they blend into one light. That's why I don't have the front T on during the day.

Danal, I hope you can do the same videos when it gets dark.

I'm sure they wouldn't be visible at night. The individual LEDs on both of my lighted Ts are visible during the day, but at night, they blend into one light. That's why I don't have the front T on during the day.

Danal, I hope you can do the same videos when it gets dark.

Exactly what I'm assuming.

Now that Danal has done a successful installation, as soon as I can post it on the TMC classifieds we will start taking orders. There are a few glitches for the order page that I'm working out with the Panjo folks, so as soon was we can resolve those we'll start taking orders, hopefully by tomorrow night. I will PM everyone whose name is on the list below when we're ready to take orders.

As Danal and I both have a lot of handwork to get these ready for shipping and installation, the price will be a bit higher that what we have been indicating. We're going to have an introductory "early adapters" price of $695.00 for the 39 people who requested that their names be added to the "order interest" list below. That price will be good for 45 days. Once those orders have been fulfilled or the 45 days elapse, the price will increase to $795.00. Both prices include a core charge of $130 for the old appliqué. If it's returned in as-new condition (our judgment about whether it's reusable), you'll receive a credit for $130. A new appliqué is $150. The core credit is lower because new double sided tape has to be affixed to returned appliqués so they can be reused and that involves expense and not inconsiderable hand work.

Here's the list of the "order interest" folks. Each will qualify for the early adapter price provided he or she orders within 45 days of the order posting. Please do not PM me about payment until the order page is posted.

NoMoGas
suprkar
swegman
FLDarren
Btrflyl8e
AMPUP
Zax123
kseitzberg
Shumdit
NJ Plugin
Jason
Aaron
kseitzberg
JPP
Denarius
DavidB
Brightonuk
Zextraterrestrial
Danal
Doug Darby
Jhall118
artsci
Lloyd
najeeb
delanman
Mackgoo
tomas
Paul Carter
AlMc
faughtz
RavynArcadia
rogbmw
MikeBur
Ira
WeazL
agw
Efren Bolisay
kaneda
skyte

The anticipation is KILLING me :)

Knight Rider scrolling of first prototype Tesla Rear Applique to have fully populated display boards and letter inserts. A few of notes:

1) Upper Rightmost pixel on "A" is out. This is due to incorrect software configuration (and is already fixed)

2) The boards are just taped in. Silicone adhesive planned for production, and this will slightly change the dispersion.

3) The power supply in the background is the actual Volt and Amp drawn by the Applique. In the area of 0.06 for this particular scrolling mode. 60mA.

I wonder if a diffuser could be used here between the light and the letters? There are some easy thin (and cheap) solutions like typical "bathroom window frost" from your local hardware store or fancy DC Fix Decorative Vinyl.

The cutouts themselves should act as diffusers. I wonder if they can be made of a more "cloudy" material that would diffuse the light more.