Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst Experience Ever Trying to get Tesla Solar Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During our install last week(8.16kw + 2 PW) our power was out for under an hour.
That was our experience as well with solar+2 PW. They warned us it might be up to 4 hours, but I think that was to cover any problems or for more complicated re-wiring.

Since they did the work during the day and I have all my networking equipment on UPS devices, it was really a minor (and unavoidable) inconvenience for what we were getting.

I think on my install the power was out for an hour or two. I had also been warned about the “up to 8 hours” thing, but the electricians said that they try to do what they can to minimize the outage.

However, I’m sure it also depends on the work that needs to be done. If they need to extend and move 20 circuits into a new panel then your power could be out for much longer. If they are just rerouting the wires that feed your panel then it shouldn’t be out for long.

@DrScottMMartin, we are in Falls Church so just down the road from you. Last year we chose AltEnergy for our solar installation. AltEnergy was recommended to us by our builder, who worked with them on previous projects. After some online research, we judged them to be highly rated by a broader set of past customers too.

Our experience working with them has been very positive: they were great communicators, they were patient in explaining and answering our questions, their approach wasn't pushy, they were transparent and offered multiple options for panels, their quantity, inverters, mounting, etc., and their installation seems solid (but of course I am no expert on solar installations). They took care of all paperwork related to interconnection with the utility. We also appreciated their follow-up since the installation has been completed: they strive to provide great customer service like, for example, ongoing online monitoring of panel performance. In summary, they did what they said they would do and in the process displayed great customer care.

One potential downside is that they seem a bit more expensive than competition. So $ / watt would be higher than Tesla but customer service / level of care would also likely be better.

We chose not to install the batteries for now.

Sounds like you were originally spec'd with the 315W Hanwha Q-Cell panels like my husband and I were back earlier in the year. Sometime over the summer Tesla went with the 340W Q-Cells dropping the older 315 model. Better efficiency with this new model, so generating more power for you annually, and the warranty went from like 15 years to 25 years. Tesla has updated all current older orders with the new panels and their design department has had to update and revise any plans already in the works. We are getting a better product as a result so the delay has really worked to both of our benefits. Tesla Energy did reduce the pricing on solar panels when the new panels came out. If you haven't call them about this do so and ask if they will match the price of the new system. They should if it hasn't already been installed which is sounds like to me it hasn't. They were very willing to do so when asked. They are keeping our contract at the same price but after install (PTO) will rebate the difference from the old to new pricing. We received a rebate letter they sent us to sign to this effect. I know from someone's post they already had their install and received a check back. We've found Tesla and Tesla Energy to be very fair in our interactions (we also are Tesla car owners like you). Since we legally contracted for panels at a higher price, we were pleased they made this move. BTW the delay also meant they are now shipping the new Gateway2s so we'll be getting the newer version at install as well as you will. Smaller footprint and nicer look that matches the PWs.

I'm sure the *panel upgrade pricing was not a welcome surprise. Despite the longer wait to get our systems installed, we are happy with what we are getting and how Tesla Energy in general has handled things. Communication not the best at all times but they have responded and we know they are just swamped right now so we are more understanding knowing that. Earlier in the year they did hire and train more teams due to the volume of orders they were getting. We have seen them trying to adapt to workers at home and how they handle calls. Still a work in progress as to how that is working out. I think part of the issue is how fast this Energy end of Tesla has expanded.

I will say that with covid restrictions and delays, WFH, natural disasters and power outages upping demand for solar/PWs, the price reduction for Tesla solar increasing orders, oh and the 26% Federal tax credit reduction going down after this year, we can understand the solar industry in general being swamped right now.

@DrScottMMartin hope you won't be a one-time poster and will come back and let us know how things go and if you get the solar panel price break reduction. Oh and we are anxious for completion of our job and hoping to avoid any power shutdowns in the meantime due to the wildfires in the mountains all around us, so get your desire to move forward.

Thank you for your informative reply. When I signed my Tesla Solar agreement, I received a significant discount because of the solar/PW bundle. A Tesla Solar rep actually told me my price was better prior to this 'upgrade'. However, as you mentioned, I'll now receive the new Gateway2s. I will inquire about just hiring my own electrical company for the panel upgrade at this juncture. Thanks for the advice. Good Luck on your system, and yes I will post an update when/if I ever get my panel upgrade/installation scheduled, completed, and post-experience.

Initially my Tesla Account just listed install dates three times, saying install would 1.5 days, and I may have no power for up to 8 hours. I do a lot of work from home, so to me that says adios...
Yes, exactly! I teach from home as well, so can't be without power/water for any great length of time... which is after all, one of the reason I signed up for solar and PowerWalls :)

@DrScottMMartin, we are in Falls Church so just down the road from you. Last year we chose AltEnergy for our solar installation. AltEnergy was recommended to us by our builder, who worked with them on previous projects. After some online research, we judged them to be highly rated by a broader set of past customers too.

Our experience working with them has been very positive: they were great communicators, they were patient in explaining and answering our questions, their approach wasn't pushy, they were transparent and offered multiple options for panels, their quantity, inverters, mounting, etc., and their installation seems solid (but of course I am no expert on solar installations). They took care of all paperwork related to interconnection with the utility. We also appreciated their follow-up since the installation has been completed: they strive to provide great customer service like, for example, ongoing online monitoring of panel performance. In summary, they did what they said they would do and in the process displayed great customer care.

One potential downside is that they seem a bit more expensive than competition. So $ / watt would be higher than Tesla but customer service / level of care would also likely be better.

We chose not to install the batteries for now.

Thank you for your insights and reference. Batteries are very important to me though (as backup power of course), but thanks for your advice neighbor!

I think on my install the power was out for an hour or two. I had also been warned about the “up to 8 hours” thing, but the electricians said that they try to do what they can to minimize the outage.

However, I’m sure it also depends on the work that needs to be done. If they need to extend and move 20 circuits into a new panel then your power could be out for much longer. If they are just rerouting the wires that feed your panel then it shouldn’t be out for long.

for me they turned it off for about 10 mins. But no panel upgrades etc were needed.

The other poster mentioned his install was awhile ago. Now Tesla has aggressively gone after the market and is the cheapest. But, they achieve this low cost with minimal interaction and packaged designs with minimal customization. If you need something not fitting these criteria, Tesla may not be your best choice, but expect to pay a premium.

I hear ya. up to 6weeks for pest abatement. and no calls etc 4 weeks from my call. Had to escalate to Exec CS. Lets see if that makes a difference.

The standard message on power outage says 4-8 hours I think. It generally isn't out that long from what I've been told. My installer said a couple of hours but I think they like to cover themselves in case something comes up. Others on here might chime in on how long there's was out. Hopefully I'll know come Monday's schedule date (if the smoke doesn't get us rescheduled again that is). If it's a go, I'll time it and let you know. 3 PWs and similar panel size system.

Power was out for me during install for about 2.5 hours or so. The installers actually prepped everything ahead of time that they could, then asked me "ok to turn off power now?" I said yes. I had a laptop prepped with a couple of shows on it for wife and I to watch on a laptop together. It was easy, because we said to each other " this is the last time we should have a full power outage in this house", so it was somewhat exciting, actually.

(edit.. they relcated every circuit but one from my main panel to the sub panel for "partial loads" they put in, so my "partial loads " panel is actually whole home backup except for my Tesla Wall connector. Since they relocated every circuit in the house it took a bit longer but 2.5 hours felt very reasonable).

I we were out twice. For about 30 minutes the first day when they were punching through the garage wall to run wires between the PW conduits and the outside. And a few days later for 4 hours then they connected up those wires and others to the gateway. Like the OP we do training, but ours is online videos at a subscription service. So we are not real-time dependent.

Having lots of issues as well. Two friends and I ordered systems. One is installed, was on for a day, but is now not working, and the other two have been back and forth in permitting for almost two months now. Getting any support from Tesla requires persistence, and any little snag or delay causes weeks of compounding delays. I love the company and am down with the mission, but man, they are a long way from being as efficient as their vehicles when it comes to solar. At one point I wasn't sure my advisor knew the difference between AC and DC.