Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth to wait for Y versus 3 now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should u trade in the blackberry for the current iPhone or wait for the next iPhone?

What's the value to u of living the Tesla lifestyle for an additional 2 years?

For me, it's a clear no, and we have a 3. A lot depends on ur financial situation.

This is what I struggled with for about 2 days. I placed a reservation on the Y after the announcement and then decided to cancel it and pull the trigger on the 3SR+ before the end of Q1.

No regrets whatsoever. Ample range and trunk space for most days and the battery is more efficient. Only 1 kid and even if I had another 1, I still wouldn't feel like its too small. I’m looking forward to trading up to the Y when it becomes available.

The Y seems to be a step up above the 3 unless you get the SR+ 3
because that's such a great deal with the federal tax credit still available.
If you are in the market for a car right now, do it before end of june to get the $3750 tax credit.

Otherwise, the major difference between the Model 3 and the Model Y is to have a hatchback.
If you need to carry a lot of stuff,
like two bicycles, in your trunk or some large furniture, the model Y will be more practical.
In this case, then better to wait, unless selling your car in one or two year is not an issue considering the depreciation.

About the SR+ 3, do you have the possibility to charge at home, or may be a work?
Otherwise a LR might be a better option, while more costly.

If you can charge and don't need a hatchback, the Model 3 SR+ including the tax credit is absolutely great deal.

If you need to put carseat in the back, the 3 would not help you unless you have the 3rd row. I think the 2nd row is basically the same on the 3 and the Y. If you are thinking big you should be looking at the S or X.

Basically yes, but 2nd row should be little bit bigger and it makes difference. You can fit 3 car seats even in Model 3. But as far as I have seen from videos the real issue is if you need 2 car seats and one child in the middle without it.

Model X would be better, but it’s too expensive and also too big for European roads.
Not to forget, way too complicated and therefore not so reliable in long term.

MY solution--ordered 2 3's at the first opportunity. . Bought a LR rwd in april 2018. $7500. tax credit. PLaned to sell it in 2019 and get an awd 3 (live in snow country) but found out it wasn't as easy to get in an out of as the 2013 S that I sold to buy the first 3. Cancelled the second 3 and placed an order for a Y. Will sell my 3 when I get the Y. (I've had an S, X, and 3. Sold on Tesla. will never buy another ICE.
This is the present and the future. (FYI--with low interest rates the cost of the reservation isn't muchjmore than the down payment)

I’m very close to getting myself a SR+ Model 3 to get my Tesla fix for a few years. The Model Y I preordered is going to be over $70,000 after tax, with only about 3K in state and utility incentives to be had unless something changes. I may have to save a while to swing that.

Reactions: sleevin
Let me give you my story as something to consider. I was waiting for the Model X. Then one time in 2013, with Model X "just around the corner" (as Elon put it back then), I had some time to kill at the mall and a Tesla store had a test drive cancellation. So I test drove a Model S, and bought it that day (actually, I thought I did but hey called me back that someone already bought it before me, so I had to order and wait, but same result). Then Model X didn't come for 2 more years (Elon time was a closer to Earth time back then), Model S dual-motor came out, so I got that. When model X came out, I test drove it, and you know what, I didn't like it. When it first came out, Model X didn't have flat folding seats, so storage was actually smaller, plus the falcon doors took forever to open and close (heck, on a perfectly sunny day they got stuck one of the times). So my wife got a Model S too. Yea, I know eventually Model X doors got better, and folding seats were added, but when we had a chance to switch a year ago (replacing a totaled Model S), we still went with yet another Model S - it goes farther on same charge, has sufficient space for what we need (slightly less than Model X with fold flat seats) and was cheaper too.

So, to all those waiting for a Model Y, consider the fact that you have not seen or driven the car. There is a chance that you will end up waiting 3 years and find out you prefer the Model 3.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
Let me give you my story as something to consider. I was waiting for the Model X. Then one time in 2013, with Model X "just around the corner" (as Elon put it back then), I had some time to kill at the mall and a Tesla store had a test drive cancellation. So I test drove a Model S, and bought it that day (actually, I thought I did but hey called me back that someone already bought it before me, so I had to order and wait, but same result). Then Model X didn't come for 2 more years (Elon time was a closer to Earth time back then), Model S dual-motor came out, so I got that. When model X came out, I test drove it, and you know what, I didn't like it. When it first came out, Model X didn't have flat folding seats, so storage was actually smaller, plus the falcon doors took forever to open and close (heck, on a perfectly sunny day they got stuck one of the times). So my wife got a Model S too. Yea, I know eventually Model X doors got better, and folding seats were added, but when we had a chance to switch a year ago (replacing a totaled Model S), we still went with yet another Model S - it goes farther on same charge, has sufficient space for what we need (slightly less than Model X with fold flat seats) and was cheaper too.

So, to all those waiting for a Model Y, consider the fact that you have not seen or driven the car. There is a chance that you will end up waiting 3 years and find out you prefer the Model 3.

I’ve sat in the Y and it should have been what was know is the 3 today.

I fully expect the Y to replace the 3 and the 3 to be something else.

By something else, a car redesigned to actually be sold at a profit for the 35-40K range.

There really is no reason NOT to own the 3SR today however due to how inexpensive the base is and how low the depreciation is while waiting for the Y to arrive.

I’ve sat in the Y and it should have been what was know is the 3 today.

I fully expect the Y to replace the 3 and the 3 to be something else.

By something else, a car redesigned to actually be sold at a profit for the 35-40K range.

There really is no reason NOT to own the 3SR today however due to how inexpensive the base is and how low the depreciation is while waiting for the Y to arrive.
You sat in a pre-production car, so things will definitely change in 3 years. I saw plenty to Model X pictures and was eager to buy one until I test drove it. I remember opening the hatch and saying, "wait a second, that's less space than in my S!". Out of curiosity, any pictures of the Model Y hatch open?

I am not saying you will not like it, just pointing out the possibility that you might not like it. Efficiency alone might be the deal breaker (for us it was one factor, my wife's driving needs range is totally satisfied by S75D, but with the X we'd have to get X100D which was $25K more at that time, so practically the price difference between the S and X for us was not the advertised $5K, it was $30K). Imagine you find out that the standard range Y has 190 mile range, and long range adds $10K to the price - it might swing price sensitive people who need more than 190 miles of rated range to a LR Model 3.