Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would be nice to have Crawl Control Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be cool if Tesla gave the CyberTruck crawl control. This will help you get out of a jam big time like in sand or mud if you end up stuck at the beach or possibly in Snow. For those that have never seen this in action.. check this video.
Fred
So the Crawl control is to lock all the wheels in reverse.

The recommendation of getting drum brakes instead of disk break, is it something common to have when towing?
I doubt this would be an option for the CyberTruck.

I assume that drum brakes use for trucks and trailers is because they are more economical.
But the draw back of the drum brakes is that they expand and can lock the wheel
It is typical to see some skid pad left by a trailer with one axial been lock from overheating.

The recommendation of getting drum brakes instead of disk break, is it something common to have when towing?

I assume that drum brakes use for trucks and trailers is because they are more economical.
It is typical to see some skid pad left by a trailer with one axial been lock from overheating.
Very very limited applicability probably won't see on the CyberTruck. Cost vs return.

I don't know how important that would be on a Tesla as just a single inch of slippage results in lower power being applied. I cannot get over the things that my RWD TM3 has been able drive thru that my other cars cannot. You can hear the car react to the slippage and you don't move the pedal at all.

Crawl mode is to keep the wheels moving slowly without user input (typically forward). Its not necessary, but being able to run low speed and high torque for extended periods of time is. Some kind of mechanical locker in the differentials would be nice. You usually loose momentum while the traction control realizes that one tire no longer has traction.

My LX570 has Crawl control, It has nothing to do with lockers. Crawl independently controls traction at each wheel and maintains consistent speed. It’s sort of Like off road cruise. You don’t touch the accelerator and control speed via a switch. It is better than my triple locked MB G was in those last resort off road scenarios where you try everything.

Reactions: Watts_Up
The Rivian or the "later" 4 motor CyberTruck would be ideal for this as its easy to control each wheel without resorting to applying both power and then vectoring with braking. Challenge with the ICE implementations is they're reliant on brakes to vector, and depending on the duration of the loose conditions brake overheat becomes an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
The Rivian or the "later" 4 motor CyberTruck would be ideal for this as its easy to control each wheel without resorting to applying both power and then vectoring with braking. Challenge with the ICE implementations is they're reliant on brakes to vector, and depending on the duration of the loose conditions brake overheat becomes an issue.
I use crawl a few times a year. Like I said it’s for those “please save me events” and not intended to be used for long periods of time. I’m on the land cruiser forums and nothing but praise from that crowd, I’ve never read a report of anyone overheating the system.

I have a driveway that I cannot climb in any of my vehicles, I always have to go past it uphill and come back down and using the momentum I can get up the driveway. Otherwise, the gravel just goes flying as I spin wheels. Even my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but both going forward or backward I am able to climb the drive with my TM3. The wheels will spin, but then they stop, and even though I have my foot on the gas, the car crawls, sometimes just an inch a second, but as it gets going it speeds up the driveway.

This is what kept me from getting the AWD TM3 when it was released as this car seems able to get thru most anything I would drive in without it.

I use crawl a few times a year. Like I said it’s for those “please save me events” and not intended to be used for long periods of time. I’m on the land cruiser forums and nothing but praise from that crowd, I’ve never read a report of anyone overheating the system.

You're spot on, usage is everything. If you're using it for "hill descent" in loose conditions then I've not heard of any issues. The ones that the local guys had were freeing stuck vehicles and was continuous crawl operation for prob 3-5 minutes. A couple got the "hot brakes" smell, one got bad enough that it produced smoke from the rear brakes (melted the rubber dust boots).

You're spot on, usage is everything. If you're using it for "hill descent" in loose conditions then I've not heard of any issues. The ones that the local guys had were freeing stuck vehicles and was continuous crawl operation for prob 3-5 minutes. A couple got the "hot brakes" smell, one got bad enough that it produced smoke from the rear brakes (melted the rubber dust boots).
Crawl is more advanced than hill descent. I’ve only used it descending once I can think of over the last 7 years. I use it more rock crawling up ATV trails when I’m scouting fall hunts. One place I cross a stream often to get to where we berry pick i just engage crawl now to get back up the bank. We’ve had a few hot dry summers, 2 of the last 3 years even with my tires down to 15psi I’ve needed crawl to get back over the sand dunes where we set net Salmon. Most times I have it engaged is for 5-10min and I’ve never had any evidence of overheat. Heating the pads/rotors makes no sense at <5 mph, the warnings in the manual are about overheating the ABS module. could the one you mentioned been brand new? Or on brand new brakes? That would make more sense.