Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would it be dumb to NOT install a charger at my house? (Dallas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering trying to use superchargers or free public chargers around my area both at home and at work... got about 20 mile commute.

Don't think I'm going to be in my house for that long, so not sure I can justify installing a charger in my garage. It would also be somewhat expensive given my house setup (detached garage far away from the house's main circuit breaker).

Anyone else NOT install a charger at their house? Is this a common thing?
It is VERY convenient to be able to charge at home. For me that is a HUGE benefit of an EV. Now you may be able to get by with 120v charging but I would really look to adding a NEMA 14-50 plug. It can be done by anyone handy for not that much money.

I believe it would be a poor choice to install a 240v plug in your situation as long as you have a 120v plug you can use. I believe many people have charge anxiety. Many feel they have to be able to charge from 0% to 100% every night. Like range anxiety you get used to what the car can do. I suggest trying to charge using 120v and see how that works out. You might surprise yourself and see how easy it is to keep your car charged.

No one has pointed out yet that that the premise of the OPs question is wrong. You don’t install a charger at home. The charger is in the car. You just install a 240V electrical outlet. If you want to be fancy and spend more money, and have a higher charging rate that’s not necessary for most people, you could install a Wall Connector instead of an outlet. But you’re not installing a charger.

Just consider the price of installing a 240V outlet to be part of the price of buying the car.

Last edited:
I'm considering trying to use superchargers or free public chargers around my area both at home and at work... got about 20 mile commute.

Don't think I'm going to be in my house for that long, so not sure I can justify installing a charger in my garage. It would also be somewhat expensive given my house setup (detached garage far away from the house's main circuit breaker).

Anyone else NOT install a charger at their house? Is this a common thing?

Yes, it would be dumb.

As others have said, if you have charging at home, you rarely have to go “charge” your car. You merely plug it in as a part of parking. Car always starts the day with a full charge.

Put another way, if you could add a gas pump to your house (absent the tanks, fumes, fire risk, etc.), wouldn’t you do it? Especially, if the pump would magically pump in gas overnight, when prices were cheapest ... say 60 cents a gallon?

Reactions: Joelc
No one has pointed out yet that that the premise of the OPs question is wrong. You don’t install a charger at home. The charger is in the car. You just install a 240V electrical outlet. If you want to be fancy and spend more money, and have a higher charging rate that’s not necessary for most people, you could install a Wall Connector instead of an outlet. But you’re not installing a charger.

Just consider the price of installing a 240V outlet to be part of the price of buying the car.

Yes that's It! Semantics was the answer all along! Thanks Internet!

Yes that's It! Semantics was the answer all along! Thanks Internet!
No, it's not just about semantics. I'll give you two reasons:
1. People think of installing a "charger" , even if they mean EVSE, and they think $$$. Some may not realize they only need to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet to be able to fully charge overnight, and that is relatively inexpensive in most situations. We're talking less than $500 in most modern houses.
2. You probably haven't seen the threads here where someone posts that their charger isn't working, and half the responses assume he's talking about the thing in the car, and the other half assume he's talking about the thing on the wall, and neither group realizes the other answers are talking about something else. It's like "Who's on first?" Using the correct term can be helpful when you're trying to communicate.

• Informative
Reactions: Chopr147 and P85_DA
No, it's not just about semantics. I'll give you two reasons:
1. People think of installing a "charger" , even if they mean EVSE, and they think $$$. Some may not realize they only need to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet to be able to fully charge overnight, and that is relatively inexpensive in most situations. We're talking less than $500 in most modern houses.
2. You probably haven't seen the threads here where someone posts that their charger isn't working, and half the responses assume he's talking about the thing in the car, and the other half assume he's talking about the thing on the wall, and neither group realizes the other answers are talking about something else. It's like "Who's on first?" Using the correct term can be helpful when you're trying to communicate.

I would be with you, except:

1. No one else answering was confused and many before you proposed installing 240V for charging in addition to other solutions providing access to power for charging.
  2. I did a search for the kind of confusion you are pointing out as common and while I found many, many people referring to the HPWC as a "charger", it never lead to the confusion you are referring to.
It does seem quite common to confuse the HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) and the MC (Mobile Connector) with "chargers". You are going to have a lot of work to do as I estimate there are about 7500 or so threads with this error alone. If you start adding in people calling a HPWC installed at a destination as a "Destination Charger" you will need to allocate even more time to this :eek:

Charging off of 120V is often quite sufficient. All I saw your location as was Texas, so I can't tell any more. But if charging off of 120V, you probably want to have a Supercharger near you, or at least a Destination Charger or J-1772 really close to you, in case you come back from trip close to empty.
The higher current 220V chargers will allow you to go from low to charged in a reasonable time, 120V takes a LONG time.

120V charging is less efficient than 240V charging for electricity cost.

This. I dislike 120v charging because you waste energy on auxillary losses. Using the Tesla provided tables (I know this isn't exact but its a reference point):

NEMA_Gen2.png

And 80% of rated load you'd see the following:
40A*240v = 9600w
9600w /30 mi = 320w / mile
12A*120v = 1440w
1440w / 3 mi = 480w / mile
480/320 = 150%

It costs significantly more to charge via 120 than a high speed charger (the optimal someone mentioned was actually around 25A but thats a different story) because you waste a lot more energy keeping the car on while charging.

So yes, its doable, but its not recommend for long term due to the higher cost.

• Love
Reactions: TexasEV and MXWing
Try with it out and see how it goes. Very likely you will find yourself in a situation where you want to take your car out, but it is not charged enough. Depending on the job, its roughly $500 to install NEMA 14-50. Who knows, might be a bonus if you want to sell your house, as there are a lot more BEV and PHEV that can make use out of it.